Programmers and developers are going to get very acquainted with their office chairs throughout the day, every day. It means long hours bent over a keyboard and mouse, each and every day. Of course, a decent office chair will make all of the difference in the world.
In this article, I will go over:
- The best office chairs for programmers and developers
- Ergonomic functions for comfort
- Budget-friendly versions
- Premium offerings
When we put together a list like this, we realize that not every chair is the best option for everyone. You have tall and short people and those who don’t weigh very much to those who do. You also have to determine the best offerings for those who can’t spend a fortune on a chair.
Top 5 Best Office Chairs For Programmers And Developers:
It’s not always easy to cover all of them in a single chair, so we’ve put together a list of the five best chairs for programmers and developers that cover the gamut of premium, top-selling, budgets, and runner-ups.
Why Would a Programmer or Developer Need a Good Office Chair?
Programmers and developers spend a lot of time sitting. While sitting all day long is scientifically proven to be very detrimental to your health, sometimes it just can’t be avoided.
When you have to sit for long periods, it’s just as important to your health that your posture is good.
Ergonomic chairs work to keep your posture correct while accommodating those pressure zones that really start to hurt when you spend long periods of time in stationary positions.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Office Chairs For WFH (2021 Review)
Keeping your body aligned and pain zones comforted is a great benefit to have in a chair.
What is an Ergonomic Office Chair?
Ergonomic office chairs—of which almost all have some degree of ergonomic function—are chairs that add layers of support to zones on your body that tend to suffer when sitting for long periods of time, or just staying stationary.
For instance, lumbar support is an ergonomic function that eases the strain on your lower back area.
There are also office chairs that are designed to keep your back straight and not curved in a downward C-shape, as well as neck and upper back support.
Is an Ergonomic Chair Worth it?
That all depends on the person who is sitting in the chair.
However, in terms of health, ergonomic chairs are definitely worth it for those who have to sit for extended periods, such as developers and programmers, who spend the vast majority of their day in a chair.
Of course, some ergonomic chairs, including the ones on this list, are extremely expensive. Occasionally, it’s a case of getting exactly what you pay for, which is why we strive to find the best budget options available.
Are Ergonomic Office Chairs Comfortable?
That depends on the type of posture that you’ve developed before ever trying one, especially if you’re about to use on in the long term.
Ergonomic office chairs are developed to be adjustable but will only adjust in terms of supporting positive posture and spine alignment.
If you have developed bad posture over the years, an ergonomic office chair may be uncomfortable at first because it’s forcing you into the correct posture.
Over time, the sense of discomfort will dissipate and you will find that it’s far more comfortable than you thought.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Heated Office Chairs
Office Chairs for Programmers and Developers Reviewed
#1 Ergohuman Eurotech Mesh Chair (Best Overall Pick)
- [ERGONOMIC LUMBAR SUPPORT]: The Ergohuman all mesh chair features a full-length headrest, backrest and ergonomically curved lumbar support to sit for longer without discomfort. Supports the back and lumbar at the same time, you can fully feel the support and curvature of the lumbar, this computer chair provides stronger comfort and balances the pressure on different parts of your body.
- [PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS]:This office chair is a great asset to your business, workspace, gaming, or home-office setting. The full mesh office chair is made of nylon mesh for better insulation and moisture resistance. The surface is soft and skin-friendly to avoid sweating and sticking. The high quality mesh has long time support without deformation, suitable for long office hours. The BIFMA-certified five-star leg base ensures stability and safety when you sit.
This is a mesh-backed chair and at first glance, you may not think there’s anything unusual about it.
However, it has a unique, segmented feature that really shows up the more you look at it. This is part of the design precision that went into the lumbar support.
It also effectively makes the assembly process easier, since the segments are smaller and easier to assemble.
It has a waterfall seat edge which really accommodates the lower segment of the backing, in terms of giving you that extra lumbar support.
While the chair is plenty wide and tall, it is only rated for a maximum of 250lbs, so big and tall folks may be disappointed.
One of the neatest features of the chair is its customization options. Almost every design feature of the chair is adjustable or replaceable with another type.
#2 Steelcase Leap Chair(Best Premium Option)
- Buzz2 fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
Just looking at it, you wouldn’t think that this chair has a whole lot to offer that others don’t, however, there’s a reason that it comes with a premium price tag.
The Steelcase has a Natural Glide function that glides the chair forward as you lean back.
This means that your hands are never too far away from the keyboard no matter how far back you decide to recline.
The LiveBack technology incorporated into the seatback keeps the chair adjusting with your body so that your spine is always supported.
#3 Hbada Ergonomic Home Office Chair (Best Budget Pick)
- DOUBLE S ERGONOMIC - This office chair features Ergonomic-Human-Curve designed backrest and headrest which creates total spinal support. So that the chair moves with postures to hold spine perfectly and ease pressure & pain on back for everyday use
- STAY COMFY FOR 8 HOURS - Ergonomic mesh back allows air, body heat and water vapor to pass through, keeping away the buildup of heat and humidity close to the body. And this chair also offers an upgraded big ergonomic & adjustable seat with comfortable foam padding
From behind, it looks like a streamlined gaming chair, but the front looks a little more standard, with the mesh backing designed to keep your back cool as you sit.
The ergonomic backrest is curved in the natural shape of a human spine for positive posture.
Its also built to last, with all of the structural support constructed in stainless steel, and the lift and tilt are gas-powered.
One of the nicer features is the recline angle at 150°. This is one of the widest angles available on the market, so you can really kick back at break time.
- 【ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR】- The ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. Suitable for people of about 5'5" to 6'2"(Please refer to the height of the user). It's easy to adjust seat height, headrest, backrest and flip-up arms to meet different needs, good for sitting long hours.
- 【COMFORTABLE MESH SEAT】- The office chair is larger than other chairs, and it could accommodate different body build. The whole Chair Dimensions(including the arms): 25.6"W x 22"D x 45.3"-54.9"H, the Seat Dimensions: 20"W x 19.3"D x 18.5"-22.05"H. Loading Capacity: 280 lbs. The recline function makes you tilt the backrest back (90~120°) or sit straight freely.
Another mesh-backed option means that you can stay cool for hours without sweating down your back.
The Gabrylly also allows you to flip the armrests down and out of the way, which is actually a neat feature when you consider the fact that most chairs won’t let you do that.
It also comes with excellent lumbar support and a separate headrest that’s completely adjustable if you need to adjust because of extra tension on your spine or upper back area.
- Boss Contract Mesh Task Chair (B6023)
- 27"W x 27"D x 39"-42"H
This is by far the most standard-looking chair on the list but don’t let the aesthetics fool you because this is a quality office chair.
The high-density foam seat cushion is simply a marvel to sit in, even for long periods.
The best part is the Synchro-Tilt mechanism that moves the back and the seat at the same time, and you can lock it into position when you reach your perfect level of comfort. The twist knob controls how easily you can make adjustments as well.
These are some of the best office chairs on the market for developers and programmers, people who spend an awful lot of time married to their chair.
However, that marriage won’t seem nearly as one-sided if you have one of these in front of your desk.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API