Teachers shouldn’t have to struggle with the constant ups and downs of using a desk and a podium that may or may not be the right size.
Instead, it may benefit you to use a standing desk that you can use to grade and lecture. There are tons of options to suit your teaching style and needs.
This article includes:
- The top 5 best standing desks for teachers and their pros and cons
- The different types and what they are
- How to make sure that you get the best desk for you
Let’s get to it!
Best Standing Desks for Teachers
What are Standing Desks for Teachers?
A standing desk can reduce the amount of time that you sit during the school day. Sure, you probably stand often while you are teaching, but what about grading and taking roll?
Well, just that amount of sitting could be terrible for your health. Instead, you can utilize a standing desk made for your career in education.
Standing desks for teachers are exactly what they sound like. But what makes them any different than other standing desks?
Well, there are many different types and the things that make them different depends on that. But before we get to the different types, let’s look at some of the commonalities of them.
First of all, there are very few standing desks for teachers that are large because they have to fit into a classroom and teachers rarely get to choose their room (unless you are teaching from home still, and even then you probably don’t have a ton of space!).
Also, they are usually fairly lightweight to make it through the school (and some types are very lightweight).
Finally, many options also include storage space for materials so that you can move the desk and your work supplies around with ease.
Also, check out this video about setting up a standing desk and arranging your classroom to use it appropriately!
What are the Different Types of Standing Desks for Teachers?
There are several types of desks suited for teachers or designed with a long day of teaching and lecturing in mind.
There are mobile, storage, converters, two tiered, and compact types to check out.
This one sounds exactly like what it is...mobile.
They are lightweight and have wheels so it is easy to move around a classroom (or from classroom to classroom if you are a traveling teacher).
This means that you can put it in front of the class to teach and move it to a corner to grade while still standing (or adjust them to sit part of the day for better health!).
Storage standing desks are perfect for teachers because they have cabinets, drawers, hooks, and shelves for you to include all of your teaching materials.
Many of them also have separators so that you can keep your classes separated for easy access and grading.
Don’t want to move the school’s desk out of the classroom? Well, you can use a standing desk converter to put on top of it!
This turns that boring, old school desk into a modern, stylish standing desk. They also adjust so you can still use the desk while sitting!
These are also great, especially if you need to write and use your computer simultaneously within a small amount of space.
It has two different tiers so you can put a monitor on one and write or type on the other. This can also help to keep you organized no matter how many students you have!
A lot of classrooms are small and some standing desks will not be practical to include in an already tight space.
Compact standing desks allow you to stand and use a computer or paperwork while leaving you with extra space.
You may even be able to use one in your classroom along with your current desk.
How Do Standing Desks for Teachers Work?
Standing desks allow a teacher to stand while still remaining productive.
In fact, there is some evidence that a standing desk could increase your productivity which means grading more while you are at the school, which frees up more time at home!
A standing desk also allows you to move around more. When you are grading or working on your computer, you are likely so focused that you may sit in the same position for a long time.
However, this can be incredibly unhealthy. Instead, you can stand which promotes walking and shifting which can be beneficial to your health.
While you may always stand while you lecture or teach your students, the podium or work area may not be conducive to learning.
A standing desk allows you to keep more materials nearby while you stand and teach, plus you can get one or adjust one to the height that you require.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desks for Teachers?
There are some things you certainly need to take into consideration when shopping for a standing desk to use while you are teaching.
First, will it allow you to remain organized?
Organization is important for adequate teaching and some standing desks do not have space or organization shelves and cabinets which can make it frustrating to keep your classes and other materials separated and organized.
You also need to take space into account.
You never want to take up room in your classroom that your students may need for projects or that you may need for books or other teachers that are in the room with you.
Mobility is incredibly important for teachers, especially teachers that move from classroom to classroom. A lightweight desk may be important, but it isn’t the only relevant factor to take into account.
There is also the quality of the caster wheels. If you are going to be using the desk on carpet, then you will probably need higher quality wheels to accommodate those needs.
Finally, you need to consider how long the desk will last.
Surely you do not want to purchase a new standing desk (and lug it into the school) every couple of years.
So buying a standing desk that will last a long time can be highly beneficial to your requirements.
Best Standing Desks for Teachers
- Trustworthy: FEZIBO Standing Desk Converter after three years of constant iteration. Both the home office rising experience and quality of the products are trustworthy
- Adjustable Lift: The brake system is controlled by a pneumatic spring to adjust different tabletop heights, allowing ergonomic working positions from sitting to standing
This standing desk converter is perfect for teaching and has a pneumatic adjustment system that goes from 4.5 to 19.3 inches.
It has a desktop of 33.5” x 17.8” and a keyboard tray. It is durable and strong and can support up to 37.4 pounds with ease. It is also available in both smaller and larger sizes.
- Strong and holds up to 37.4 pounds
- Keyboard tray
- Pneumatic adjustment from 4.5 to 19.3 inches
- May not be enough room for all setups
- May wobble while typing
- May take both hands for adjustment
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE TABLETOP - Adjust from 20. 5" to 32" high and any height between with a manually and secure with the twist-lock knob for an ergonomic and personalized workspace.
- SMALL COMPUTER WORKSTATION - Single-piece wood desktop (23.75" x 15.75") is designed to fit almost any size laptop or tablet with keyboard. Finished in white with rounded edges.
This mobile desk stand adjusts from 20.5 to 33 inches tall using a twist kob and has a small surface area to fit almost anywhere.
It is lightweight and has 1.5 inch caster wheels. It is great for traveling teachers and has a sleek, modern design.
- Caster wheels
- Lightweight and compact
- Durable stylish design
- Adjusts manually using a knob
- Small desktop surface
- Can scratch easily
- Features a durable and curved HPL Top available in either Gray nebula or Fusion maple Finish with sleek platinum edgebanding and a platinum Steel base.
- Base features a locking cabinet with two adjustable shelves to accommodate all of your equipment and materials.
This high-quality desk has the potential to last your entire career. It has a cabinet for storage and caster wheels for mobility.
It is designed specifically for teachers and has a functional, yet simple, design. It also has a plug on it and the cabinet has a lock so you can leave your m materials safe over the weekend.
- Cabinet space
- High-quality construction
- Grommet holes and curved edges
- Poor quality caster wheels
- May be loud while rolling because of cabinet material
This is a standard type desk that is durable and has caster wheels to move it around.
It adjusts with 5 height settings from 27.9 to 42.5 inches. It has a large 45.7 inch by 32.6 inch surface and a simple, attractive appearance.
- Lightweight and mobile
- Large desktop surface
- Crossbar for stability and durability
- Manually adjustable with 5 height settings
- Small caster wheels
- May scratch easily
- EASY TO SIT / STAND: The X-Elite Pro XL 36” is an adjustable standing desk converter. It goes up and down with ease in a matter of seconds, with premium pump assisted lift.
- BIG SURFACE: Grab your computer and place it right on top of your new stand up workstation, using the modern single flat surface for ergonomic comfort and increased productivity!
This is a large, 36 inch standing desk converter.
This allows you to have a large surface area raised unlike other converters and it goes up from 8 to 16 inches tall. It doesn’t require assembly and it is sturdy and solidly built.
- Large surface area
- Adjustable from 8 to 16 inches
- Stable and sturdy
- Difficult to lift
- May show fingerprints and stains
- When lowered completely, it will add 2 inches to your desk height
Final Thoughts on Standing Desks for Teachers
Every teacher, including you, deserves to be comfortable and healthy. A standing desk can help you move and teach without compressing your back and body.
There are tons of options for types and styles to match you, your needs, and your classroom.
Furthermore, there are some for affordable prices and those that are great for buyers looking for the highest quality desks and materials.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API