Looking for chair mats for the carpet?
You are in the right place!
If your office is in a carpeted room and you’re concerned about the carpet being ruined by your chair, a good chair mat can help.
But of course, you also need the right type of chair mat, which means looking for the best chair mats made for carpet.
In this product review guide, we will go over the following:
- What chair mats for carpet are
- Why chair mats for carpets are so important
- The best chair mats for carpet on the market
Let’s get started!
Our Top Five Chair Mats for Carpet
What Are Chair Mats for Carpet?
Chair mats are made out of various materials.
If you have carpet, you’ll need to find a mat that is specifically made for carpet and not hard floors.
One thing you’ll need if you have carpet is a chair mat with studs on the bottom so that the mat stays in place.
Studded chair mats should not be used on hard floors because the floors may get scratched.
Chair mats for carpets are made to withstand the size and weight of your chair so that no indentations occur in either the carpet or the mat.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Desk Pillows (2022 Review)
What Are the Different Types of Chair Mats for Carpet?
Naturally, you should be familiar with the types of materials used to make chair mats before you choose the one you wish to purchase.
Essentially, there are three main types of chair mats for carpets, and they include the following:
1. Vinyl or polyvinyl chloride (PVC):
These are the most affordable but the least durable types of floor mats.
Unless you have a low-pile carpet, these aren’t recommended because they are so thin.
They can even become warped under the caster wheels of your chair, but they are still good if you have a low-pile carpet.
These mats are very durable and will resist warping and cracking over time.
All in all, they hold up quite well considering that they are typically not very expensive.
3. Tempered glass:
Tempered glass chair mats are the most durable type and are eco-friendly as well.
These types of chair mats typically don’t have studded backings because they are very heavy and tend to stay put year after year.
You can also use these mats on hard floors, and they never warp or discolor regardless of how long you keep them.
If you have carpeted floors, you’ll always want to take a look at the thickness of your chair mat.
If you have low- or medium-pile carpets, you should choose a mat that is 3 mm thick or thicker.
But for plush or high-pile carpets, choose a mat that is a minimum of 5 mm thick so that you get the support and comfort you need.
Read More >> Best Anti-Fatigue Mats (2022 Review)
How Does a Chair Mat for Carpet Work?
As mentioned earlier, chair mats for carpets should either be extra-heavy or come with studs attached to the bottom of the mat.
This is important because, on the carpet, the mat can move and slide around a lot if it is without these studs.
If you choose a mat that is extra-heavy, you won’t have that problem because the weight of the mat is enough to keep it in place day after day.
Read More >> Do Office Chair Mats Ruin Carpet?
But extra-heavy mats, which include those made out of glass, are typically very expensive, so it will cost you less money to buy a mat with the studs on the bottom.
What to Look for in the Best Chair Mat for Carpet
We’ve already mentioned features such as the material the mat is made out of and how the type of carpet you have affects what size mat to get.
Now let’s take a look at a few other features considered important when choosing a chair mat.
Size and shape:
You’ll notice that chair mats come in tons of sizes and shapes.
Most standard desks and chairs require a mat that is 36” x 48” in size to be accommodated.
Some mats also have “lips” that extend out and fit right underneath the desk.
If you’re not sure what size you need, make sure you measure the area underneath and around the desk so you end up getting the right size for your chair.
The surface at the bottom of the mat:
This one bears repeating: carpet needs mats that have the little studs on them to remain in place.
The only exception is if you decide on a heavy mat that is made out of tempered glass.
These mats are made without the studs, but they don’t need them because the sheer weight of the mats will keep them in place on your carpet.
Read More >> Standing Desks On Carpet Floors?
Some people find certain other features very appealing.
These include antistatic mats, which can reduce the odds of shocking your keyboard or laptop.
Antimicrobial mats, lessen the chance of growing mildew or mold underneath the mats.
As well as, non-slip textures on the top of the mats that offer an ergonomic grip whenever you push the chair out from under your desk.
Best Chair Mats for Carpet Reviewed
- Easiest Gliding: made in Europe and constructed from heavy duty material, this chair mat allows your chair wheels to glide seamlessly on top of its strong, sturdy surface without scratching, sinking, or leaving indentations and divots
- Slip Resistant Design: this mat is uniquely designed to stay in place on your low pile rug; featuring a studded, spiked underside, it stays securely in place on most carpets so it won’t slip or slide; before using mat, test with foot to ensure it is securely in place and doesn’t move
This transparent chair mat is 36” x 36” x 12” and fits perfectly underneath your desk.
It is studded underneath so that it stays on the carpet and doesn’t move around while you work, and it is made especially for low-pile carpets.
Available in other sizes and is made not to scratch or make indentations even if you use it for a very long time.
- Very reasonably priced
- Scratch-resistant and very sturdy
- Some claim the mat came rolled up and is difficult to flatten out
- Specifications: 47inch x 35inch x 0.2inch (length x width x height), weighing about 14LB. the thickest and heaviest compared to other chair mats of the same size.
- Dual Purpose: Suitable for carpet or hard floor, it is made of hard material, and it cannot be folded or curled, completely flat, similar to glass chair mat, but more durable heavy duty than glass mat.
This is a beautiful clear chair mat that is one-fifth of an inch thick and can be used on both carpets and a hard floor.
It is 47” x 35” in size and is made out of a special hard, see-through material that is built to withstand 1,200 pounds of pressure.
Also, it is virtually impossible to scratch or damage this mat, you can consider it a good investment due to how long it lasts.
- Never bends and always lays flat
- Can withstand 1,200 pounds of pressure
- Some claim it moves around a little bit
#3 No products found.
No products found.
This polycarbonate chair mat is 47” x 35” in size and is made especially for low- to medium-pile carpets.
It remains flat and never curls or flexes, and is made without phthalates and other harmful ingredients, so it’s always safe to use.
Also, has a slightly textured surface to give your chair some grip while it glides over the mat.
- Very reasonably priced
- Never curls and always stays flat
- Some claim that it moves around more than it should
- SUPERIOR CARPET PROTECTION: Protects your carpet against the everyday wear and tear caused by office chairs; Bottom equipped with non-slip grippers; NOT for use on hard floors
- LONG-LASTING DURABILITY: Flexible mat won’t tear, crack, curl, break, scratch or discolor; mats perform best when used over commercial grade low pile carpet; Material may bend if under excessive pressure
This is a brown chair mat with grippers on the bottom to stay attached to your carpet so that it doesn’t move around.
Its 48” x 48” size is perfect for large floor areas, and it is made out of super-sturdy vinyl and polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
Made for low-pile carpets and will work on many types of carpets.
Also made not to crack, break, or curl.
- Nice large square design
- Works on many different types of carpet
- Some claim their chair left indentations on the mat
- For low pile carpet: Designed with a smooth top surface for easy chair movement and a cleated backing to grip carpet up to 1/4 (0. 25) of an inch thick
- Product DETAILS: 36 X 48 inch chair mat with Lip, suitable for small to mid-size work areas such as an apartment, dorm, or home office – packaged in a cylinder for shipping stability and lays flat once unrolled
This chair mat comes in several different colors and sizes and is made for low-pile carpets.
The price is affordable, and this particular one is 36” x 48” in size.
Made out of polyvinyl chloride, the mat is made to cover roughly 12 square feet, and it even comes with a limited one-year warranty.
This mat is also made to seamlessly blend into the carpet to match your décor.
- Very reasonably priced
- Available in other sizes and many colors
- Some claim it started showing wear and tear very early on
Final Thoughts on Chair Mats for Carpet
Choosing chair mats for carpets isn’t difficult because most of them are high-quality mats that don’t cost a lot of money.
Now that you know that studded chair mats work best for carpets, you can keep this in mind when you’re shopping for the mats.
Chair mats can be made out of vinyl/PVC, polycarbonate material, or tempered glass, with the latter being the strongest and the most durable material.
Although these are made without studs, they aren’t necessary because the weight of these mats does the job.
Chair mats are necessary for an office desk because your chair can ruin the carpet over time without them.
The good news is, you don’t usually have to spend a lot of money on a good chair mat even if your floors are covered in carpet.
All you have to do is know what to look for.
Last update on 2022-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API