If you stand a lot during the day, you may have wondered whether you should get an anti-fatigue mat.
These mats can make standing more comfortable and can provide numerous benefits.
This article will cover:
- The 5 best anti-fatigue mats and their pros and cons
- What these mats are and how they work
- What to look for when shopping for one
Let’s get started.
Best Anti-Fatigue Mats
What are Anti-Fatigue Mats?
Anti-fatigue mats are mats that provide comfort and stability when you stand, especially when you stand for a prolonged period of time.
Some people find that standing on hard surfaces or carpet causes foot pain and other discomfort.
These mats can help to prevent those aches and pains and make the standing experience more comfortable.
This can help you stand more and reduce the negative effects associated with too much sitting.
Anti-fatigue mats are a great way to benefit from standing because they promote subtle movement in the muscles.
This increases blood flow and reduces the negative effects related to standing for too long.
These mats are generally much softer than hard floor and more stable than carpeting.
Check out this video to learn more about the awesome benefits associated with anti-fatigue mats!
Types of Anti-Fatigue Mats
The types of anti-fatigue mats are based on the material used for the mat. There are several types including foam, foam rubber, hard rubber, and gel.
This is the type of anti-fatigue mat that is the most affordable. They typically wear out faster than the other types because they compress over time.
However, they do offer great benefits and an affordable way to see if an anti-fatigue mat is right for you.
This type is made of several layers of foam and rubber.
These are a durable option and very easy to clean. They are good for heavy use and comfort.
This is the industrial type of anti-fatigue mat and is incredibly strong and durable. They are great for shock absorption and can be very comfortable as well.
It is important to note that because of the hard rubber, they are not as good for fighting physical fatigue and promoting subtle movement.
These mats have a center that is made of a gel-like substance and are covered with durable, easy to clean materials.
These are great for combating physical fatigue because the gel absorbs shock and encourages movement. They are also very comfortable and long-lasting.
Read More >> How Can I Make My Standing Desk More Comfortable?
How Do Anti-Fatigue Mats Work?
Anti-fatigue mats work by providing comfort and encouraging subtle movement. They are associated with less aches and pains, especially in the back.
When we stand for a long time on hard surfaces, we compress our joints throughout the body.
This may lead one to believe that carpet is better, but soft surfaces can be bad because they lack stability. An anti-fatigue mat can prevent that compression and tension.
The subtle movements can also help to improve your blood circulation. This may help to prevent heart disease and other serious issues.
Finally, anti-fatigue mats increase energy and fight against both mental and physical fatigue. This may help you increase your productivity and improve your mood.
To benefit the most from using an anti-fatigue mat, you should try to alternate between standing and sitting often.
In addition, make sure to wear shoes that are both comfortable and supportive.
What to Look for in the Best Anti-Fatigue Mats?
To find the best mat for you, it is important to keep some things in mind. First, you need to consider the thickness of the mat itself. It is best to have mats that are at least ⅜ inches thick.
Mats that are too thin do not provide enough support. For great support, try to purchase a mat that is at least ¾ inches thick.
You may also want to consider that support that you need. A dense rubber mat will offer more support than softer types or foam mats.
A soft mat can feel comfortable initially, but over time you will gradually feel like you are more tired or develop pain or discomfort.
You also need to think about the size of the mat surface. You want to have one that is large enough to easily stand on.
It should be large enough to be able to move your feet around so you do not have to stand in a single, exact position for the entire time you are using it.
However, you also do not want an anti-fatigue mat that is too large because it can get in the way.
Typically, the smaller sized mats are 2 or 3 feet long. There are also anti-fatigue mats made for more than one person that are much larger.
You also have the option of using more than one mat for a unique size or shape for your work area.
Read More >> Do You Need a Mat for a Standing Desk?
Finally, you can choose different surface types. Some are just flat comfortable surfaces. Others , however, provide foot massage points to stimulate the pressure points on the soles of your feet.
They look like ridges or mounds. There are also types that offer non-slip surfaces that may be good for some workplaces that get slippery or wet.
Best Anti-Fatigue Mats
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Most mats for standing are flimsy. The standing desk mat TerraMat is built thicker and more durable than the competition.
- MORE 3D SPECIAL FEATURES: Designed specifically for standup desks for home office by a personal trainer and engineer! The foam-like 3D features include a full Balance Bar (works your core and lets you do calf raises), Two Massage Mounds (massages the soles of your feet), Power Wedge (stretches out your calves), Support Track (stretches out your hip flexors), Acupuncture Pressure Peaks (stimulates your feet). All of this plus a larger comfort mat than our competitors.
This is a strong, supportive, and durable mat with a unique design. It has a balance bar to let you work your core or do calf raises while working.
There are also two massage mounds for your feet and a power wedge to stretch your calves.
Finally, there is a support track that stretches your hip flexors and acupuncture pressure peaks for your feet. It also comes with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.
- Durable and easy to clean
- Firm but comfortable material
- Balance bar, massage mounds, and other features
- Not suitable for industrial settings
- Thick design not good for high traffic areas
- May not last as long as other options
- All day support - For anyone who spends a lot of time on their feet at work or at home, this anti-fatigue kitchen floor mat is a life changer! The soft foam core reduces stress on your knees, muscles and joints by 32%
- Like walking on clouds - This anti-fatigue mat is ridiculously comfortable! The standing desk mat - which is most likely made of marshmallows, sunshine and cotton candy clouds - will make you feel lighter on your feet and more energized to work
This product comes in your choice of gray, brown, black, navy or red. It has a foam core that is comfortable, yet surprisingly supportive.
It has a non-slip bottom and substantial shock absorption qualities that make it suitable for high traffic areas.
It is easy to clean and has non-trip edge design as well. The mat itself is 32 inches long.
- Color options
- Non-slip bottom, shock absorption, and non-trip edges
- Gets dirty easily
- Too thick for some areas
- Does not work well on carpet
- ORIGINAL COLLECTION - The Original is the cornerstone of the WellnessMats line, with its smooth surface and elegant, sleek design, and is a favorite of professional and home chefs alike. With its ergonomic design and a smooth surface, the Original has long been the mat of choice. Offers comfort and performance and is supportive and resilience, there's nothing quite like an original.
- SUPERIOR STANDING SUPPORT - We all spend a lot of time on our feet while cooking, washing dishes, using a vanity, doing hobbies, and very often while we work. Standing for periods of time on hard surfaces can put stress on your body (feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back), causing fatigue, aches and pains. Our ergonomically designed mats provide padded support with a soft, smooth surface and buoyant core which helps to reduce muscle and joint fatigue as well as stress on the lower extremities.
This high quality mat has a stylish design and is very supportive and shock absorbent.
It was developed with comfort and ergonomics in mind and has padded support with a soft, smooth surface and a buoyant core.
It is non-slip and made with a unique combination of polyurethane that makes it durable and prevents the sides from curving up.
It is also resistant to punctures and made for long-term use. The mat is designed to be easy to clean using soap and water. It also comes with a 20 year warranty.
- Non-slip bottom and top
- Supportive, soft, and buoyant
- 20 year warranty
- More expensive than other options
- Gets dirty easily
- PATENTED GEL TECHNOLOGY! GelPro Elite features a ¾” core of soothing gel + energy-return foam which dramatically reduces stress, fatigue & discomfort while standing.
- BEVELED REINFORCED EDGES AND DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The GelPro Elite cushion comfort mat features beveled edges that will not curl or wear down and protects you from tripping over it.
This mat comes in over 25 different colors and is ¾ inches thick with a gel core to offer support, comfort, and tension relief.
It is made with beveled edges to ensure that they do not curl and has a durable construction and design.
The bottom is non-slip and the surface is easy to clean. Finally, it comes with a 5 year warranty.
- Color options
- Gel core
- Beveled edges
- May shift some despite having a non-slip bottom
- Very heavy
- Attracts dust
- THE BEST STANDING DESK MAT: Topo is the first anti-fatigue mat designed specifically for standing desks. It boasts premium comfort mat material and patented next-generation terrain features. That’s why it’s been The Wirecutter’s top pick since 2016.
- SIT LESS AND STAND BETTER: Spend more time out of your chair and move more while you stand, with Topo’s meticulously designed ergonomic topography. Our infinite possible micro and macro movements provide a plethora of new and dynamic positions.
This is a great mat that is made specifically to promote subtle movements. It is easy to move and promotes productivity and improves health.
It has a bar for calf raises and a massage teardrop in the center. It also has raised edges to promote movement and comfort.
This mat comes with a 7 year warranty.
- Promotes movement
- Teardrop for massaging the soles of your feet
- May move and shift during use
- Not very large
- May puncture easily
Final Thoughts on Anti-Fatigue Mats
Anti-fatigue mats can be a great way to stand more and sit less.
In addition, they can promote subtle movements that make your standing time even more beneficial and less likely to cause pains in your feet, legs, and back.
There are tons of great options for anti-fatigue mats and many of them are very affordable.
There are also some that offer additional features like massage or exercise bars and non-slip surfaces.
It should not be hard to find one that suits your needs and your style.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API