A lot of professions require tons of paperwork. It can fill up a desk quickly, which can be distracting, unorganized, and messy. However, there are some desks that have file cabinets attached that you may want to consider.
This article will cover:
- The top 5 best desks with file cabinets and their pros and cons
- What they are and the different types
- What to look for when shopping for the best ones
Best Desks with File Cabinets
- Monarch Specialties Computer Desk with File Cabinet (Our Top Pick)
- Haverchair Home Office Study＆Writing Metal and Wood Desk (Best Budget)
- Bush Business Furniture Series C L Shaped Desk (Best High End)
What are Desks with File Cabinets?
A lot of desks do not have enough storage. This can make it hard to stay productive and organized during the workday.
Sure, you can add your own file cabinet, but sometimes they do not go with the style of the desk and they can cost more than buying them together.
Staying organized can actually increase your productivity. This is because you do not have the distractions of clutter and you can also find materials for working faster.
A desk that includes a filing cabinet means that you do not have to move just to access the paperwork you need as well.
Read More >> How To Organize a Desk Without Drawers
Before we get to the different types of desks with file cabinets, check out this video on how to build your own file cabinet!
What are the Different Types of Desks with File Cabinets?
There are a few different types of desks that have file cabinets. There are standard desks with attached filing cabinets and those with separate filing cabinets.
Then, there are standing desks, l-shaped desks, and executive styles available that you may want to consider.
Attached File Cabinets
These are standard desks, usually rectangular ones, that have a filing cabinet attached. They often also have drawers and maybe even some on desk storage or a keyboard tray.
There are affordable options as well as high-quality, more expensive ones. They are also available in a wide variety of different styles.
Separate File Cabinets
These desks come with file cabinets that match in style, shape, and space, but that are actually separate from the desk.
Then, you can choose if you want it next to your desk, underneath it, or anywhere else. This is a great option for those in more compact spaces as well.
There are also standing desks that come with file cabinets. This is a great option because sitting can have a lot of terrible health effects.
Some of the options are also adjustable. They may be more expensive than the traditional desks you are considering, but they can have some awesome effects on your health when used correctly.
Read More >> Top 5 Standing Desks With File Cabinets
L-shaped desks have more area on them so they come with attached file cabinets more often than rectangular options.
Sometimes, they will have two or even three cabinets. This is great for those who want a desk for a corner or those who have a lot of paperwork that they need to keep organized.
This is a high-end type of desk. The file cabinets on them will be stylish, just like the rest of the desk.
They are also made of higher quality materials than some of the other options you may be interested in. Many options also have shelves and other features that are less common with cheaper desks.
How Do Desks with File Cabinets Work?
Most of the file cabinets that come attached to desks have one or two pull out drawers that can hold a lot of paperwork.
They may even come with filing dividers. Then, there are ones that come apart from the desk. Most of those can fit underneath the desk as well.
While most of them will have pull out filing drawers, some will only have cabinets that open vertically.
Either way, keeping your files organized can be good for your productivity, plus it looks better for anyone that may take a step into your office. Your boss may even appreciate it!
What to Look for in the Best Desks with File Cabinets?
To ensure that you get a desk that you want, there are some things that you need to keep in mind.
First, a file cabinet can add a lot of weight to the construction of the desk. Make sure that it is not too heavy. They also occasionally will add a little depth that you need to check.
When figuring out the space for one of these desks, you also must check that you will be able to pull the filing drawers out.
If you do not have that amount of room, then you may want to go with a separated file cabinet that you can place in a better location.
The amount of paper that the file cabinet holds is crucial as well. You never want to get it and find out that it does not hold enough of your work materials.
Most hold a good amount, but some are only one cabinet, while others are two or three.
The weight limit of the file cabinet is rarely a concern for most people, but if you have heavy materials you plan on keeping in it, then it is best to make sure it will not wear out the mechanisms.
You also need to be careful with the height of the file cabinet if it is one of the separated options. This is especially true if you want to keep it underneath the desk.
If you want it to fit under the desk while you are sitting, then it cannot take up the room where your legs must go and it also cannot block the underside of the desktop.
Best Desks with File Cabinets
- Drawers can conveniently be assembled on the left or right side offering you multi-functionality
- Sleek black Track metal Leg
This desk has an elegant design and style, but stays affordable. It also comes in your choice of colors.
The file cabinet itself has two storage drawers and one file drawer and can be installed onto the right or the left side.
The file cabinet works to support half of the desk and it is very durable and sturdy.
- One file cabinet with two storage drawers
- File cabinet can be installed on either side of the desk
- Difficult assembly that will take over an hour
- Not the best customer service
This is another option with an attached file cabinet. It is not huge, but it is still durable. The file cabinet has three drawers with two different dimensions.
The desk is 47.2 inches long and 23.6 inches wide. It is made with MDF and the frame has a solid construction that can support most people’s work materials.
- Three drawers
- Affordable (less than $100)
- Modern style that has heavy duty construction
- Very difficult assembly
- Drawers are not huge
- Desktop may scratch easily
- Bundle includes: 72W x 30D Desk, 48W Return, 3 Drawer Mobile File Cabinet
- Thermally fused laminate work surface, rugged edge banding and sturdy end panels fend off scratches and damage
This elegant desk is made with the executive style, but modernized for style and function. The desk is l-shaped with a 3 drawer file cabinet.
It is sturdy and scratch resistant and allows ample room beneath the underside of the desktop.
The file cabinet also rolls and has locks on the bottom two drawers. It also comes in your choice of two different colors.
- Rolling file cabinet
- Lockable drawers
- Stylish and modern
- Very large and heavy
- More expensive than most other options
- L-shaped may not be good for everyone
- SPACIOUS WORK AREA: 55.1" W x 23.2" D x 29.5" H dimension can easily accommodate your laptop, keyboard, books, files, desk accessories. This computer desk is suitable for study room, bedroom, living room and office.
- ORGANIZE FILES: 2 small drawers store small items, 1 filing drawer can accommodate letter and A4 size file folders.
This desk is 55 inches long and has two small drawers in addition to the filing drawer. The file cabinet can go on either side depending on your needs.
The desktop is waterproof and anti-scratch and the frame is made of durable steel that can hold up to 450 pounds.
- Can hold up to 450 pounds
- File cabinet can go on the right or the left side
- Large desktop surface
- Hard to assemble
- Poor quality desktop and drawer materials
- Poor customer service
- WFH GAME CHANGER: Working on the couch might be comfortable, but probably not the most productive. Get a personal workspace that lets you focus, ponder, and relax with this computer desk
- CLEAR DESKTOP, PRODUCTIVE MIND: Notepad on the open shelf, pens in the upper drawer, and a deep drawer for A4 and letter-size files—keep everything neatly organized and close at hand with the storage down below, leaving a tidy desktop for productive work
This is a desk that has two different drawers, one filing size and the other one is smaller, that also provides a shelf on top of them.
For the price, the materials are strong and durable. It has a sturdy design that uses space really well. It also has a simple, yet attractive design.
- Very sturdy
- Two drawers and a shelf on the file cabinet
- Stylish design
- Difficult assembly
- Not as much leg room as other options (be careful if you are tall)
- Heavy for the size
Final Thoughts on Best Desks with File Cabinets
A desk with a file cabinet can do a lot of good for your office and work space. It can make it easier to find paperwork on a daily basis and remove the distracting mess on and around your desk.
There are also tons of great options with attached or separate file cabinets for almost any style and budget.
Last update on 2022-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API