A reception desk should be welcoming and professional, but it also needs functionality. the best u shaped reception desks can offer both of these things with stylish designs and plenty of surface area and storage space.
This article includes:
- The top 5 best u-shaped reception desks and their pros and cons
- What they are and how they work
- What to look for in the best ones
Let’s get started!
Best U Shaped Reception Desks
- Tribesigns U Shaped Desk, Large U-Shaped Desk (Best Budget)
- Linea Italia Curved Modern Office Desk (Best High End)
What are U Shaped Reception Desks?
A reception area, including the desk, is the first thing that someone sees when they enter a business or office. Because of this, the style is more important than it is for other types of desks.
You want it to speak for the company and emit a welcoming tone. However, it also needs to be functional for the types of tasks the receptionist must complete.
A u-shaped reception desk allows the receptionist to work efficiently because they can easily reach more desktop space than they would be able to with rectangular or l-shaped options.
In addition, there is often a lot of space underneath the desk for storage, file cabinets, or shelves to keep materials that the receptionist regularly needs.
The u-shape will also allow the receptionist to do their job more effectively because it reduces distractions. In addition, it could reduce clutter.
These things mean that the receptionist could be more productive and happier, and a smiling receptionist is much more welcoming.
You may also be interested in this video about making a curved reception desk!
What are the Different Types of U Shaped Reception Desks?
There are different types of reception desks that come in u-shaped that you should consider. In addition to the standard u-shaped reception desks, there are standing, curved, executive, and mobile to keep in mind.
A standard u-shaped reception desk is different from other u-shaped desks because it will have a design that blocks the view of the interior area and the receptionist’s legs. They come in different styles as well.
Some are modern while others have a more traditional design. They can also come in a variety of different materials and prices.
Read More >> Top 5 Best U Shaped Desks
For some reception areas, it is good to have a standing receptionist. Using a standing desk can offer some great health benefits, but it is also preferable by many because it can seem more professional.
Some of these options have only a portion of the desk designed for standing, while the rest is good for sitting.
This type is still u-shaped, but it does not have right angles in its design. Instead, it forms a curved u-shape. This is great for style and can match a lot of different architectural styles.
It is important to note that sometimes this restricts the functionality because computers, keyboards, paper, and other items are usually square or rectangular.
This type is even more elegant than standard u-shaped reception desks. They are usually made of high quality materials and may even have drawers or a hutch built in.
A bit more expensive, but are great for some types of buildings and businesses.
Sometimes you just need a temporary or mobile receptionist. If that is the case, then you can find mobile u-shaped reception desks that are small, but still have a u-shape.
They also come in both sitting and standing options and can be a great choice for certain types of offices or businesses.
How Do U Shaped Reception Desks Work?
A u-shaped reception desk looks professional and welcoming without compromising functionality or reducing the receptionist’s productivity.
With a u-shaped desk, it is easier to reach a lot of materials and a receptionist often works with computers, printers, fax machines, documents, files, phones, and more.
That is a lot of stuff to fit on a rectangular desk, but a u-shaped desk provides the necessary surface area on the desktop.
Furthermore, they can offer the space for multiple receptionists or visitors to listen or talk to the receptionist.
This can free up space in the entryway or other portions of the lobby. This can be highly beneficial to the atmosphere of the office space.
Read More >> Top 5 Best U Shaped Office Desks
What to Look for in the Best U Shaped Reception Desks?
U-shaped reception desks can be great, but it is important that you look for some things in order to find the perfect option for you.
First, the depth of reception desks can vary greatly from one choice to the next.
While most offer plenty of depth, if you are planning on keeping files or other large materials on top of the desk, it is important to double check that it will work.
Another consideration is the height. You want a receptionist to be welcoming for visitors, so you do not want them seated too low to show their face or too high to seem awkward or intimidating.
Most reception desks are situated correctly, but some can be lower and higher than the average.
The size of the desk is also important, not only for functionality, but also in regards to the size and shape of the lobby.
It is important to get a u-shaped front desk that fits into the size of the entire reception area.
The shape may also be important for this. You want to leave space for movement around the room, but also want to place the desk so that it is the first thing that visitors see.
Storage Space/ Cable Management:
Storage space and wire management are some final considerations that are important, but often overlooked.
Wire management can keep the area looking professional and clutter-free.
Read More >> Top 5 Best U Shaped Desks With a Hutch
This is important since the front desk is one of the first impressions visitors will have of the business.
The storage space underneath the desk could also be crucial for reducing clutter and making it easy for the receptionist to work properly and productively.
Best U Shaped Reception Desks
#1 Bush Studio C 60W x 36D U Shaped Desk with Mobile File Cabinet
- Bundle includes: 60W x 36D bow front desk, 60W x 24D credenza desk, 42W desk return, 3 drawer Mobile file cabinet
- Thermally Fused laminate Finish fends off scratches and stains to protect the office Furniture Set
This u-shaped reception desk comes in your choice of four different colors and even comes with a mobile file cabinet.
It is 60 inches wide and 36 inches deep, which is large enough for most receptionist work areas. Made of thermally fused laminate for scratch and stain resistance. Also it is sturdy and designed to last for years.
- Durable construction
- Color options (and available in larger 72 inch size as well)
- Stain and scratch resistant
- Heavy and may take two people to assemble
- Poor quality caster wheels on file cabinet
- Only three wire management grommets
#2 Tribesigns U Shaped Desk, Large U-Shaped Desk
- ✔【SPACE SAVING 2 IN 1 DESK】: The U-shaped desk is a wonderful multi-functional workstation integrating L shaped desk and printer stand. It is an efficient use of space in a cubicle or cramped office, providing a large working surface in a small footprint. U desk is suitable for den, bedroom, living room and office, can be served as a computer table, office workstation, study table, writing desk or gaming desk.
- ✔【CURVED WORK AREA】: 79"(L) x 47"(W) x 20"(D) dimension offers wider space to fit your laptop, PC, keyboard, desk accessories. It also provides a plenty of space for drafting, gaming setup and other office activities.
While this is not like the other reception desks because it has an open design, it can still work as a front desk and the u-shape is designed for storage.
Some receptionists like to include their own file cabinets underneath these types of desks, which is a great option for those on a tight budget.
It comes in your choice of three colors and is scratch resistant and easy to clean. Also incredibly sturdy and can hold up to 450 pounds.
- Sturdy with 450 pound weight limit
- Storage space under the desk
- Open front design
- May chip easily
- Three piece desktop
#3 Linea Italia Curved Modern Office Desk
- Reception Desk Dimensions: 124”W x 49”L x 46”H. Desk Depth: 20". Counter Depth: 13"
- Curved modern reception desk has strong metal frame and thermofused laminated wood body with white finish
This curved u-shaped reception desk has a modern, professional style.
It is available in 6 different colors and two different sizes.
Also, has a design that allows you to build onto it as you want to grow the reception area.
With a 13 inch counter depth and 20 inch desk depth and is 46 inches high.
- Stylish modern design
- Separate counter and desktop heights
- Available in 6 colors and two sizes
- More expensive than other options
- Curve design may not fit as many materials
- Difficult assembly
#4 Bestar Modern Executive Desk with Pedestal and Hutch
- QUALITY MATERIALS: Made in North America. Our two-tone modern executive office desk with hutch is made from laminated, high-density commercial-grade particle board with melamine finish, compliant with TSCA Title VI. Top is 1–inch thick.
- STYLISH AND SPACIOUS: The ample surface of our contemporary executive office desk lets you lay out your papers or electronic devices comfortably.
This two-tone desk is made in the executive style and comes in your choice of two colors. It also has a file drawer, a utility drawer, an open storage area, and a keyboard tray.
The handles are brushed nickel and it is constructed using high quality materials. It is even reversible and has a hutch that adds a lot to the entire area. Finally, it comes with a 10 year limited warranty.
- Storage space, drawers, and keyboard tray
- High quality construction
- Two color options and elegant design
- Difficult assembly requires two people
- Drawers are not as high quality as the rest of the desk
- Not safe for heavy items at the top portion of the hutch
#5 Bestar Modern U-Shaped Executive Office Desk
- The desk is made of durable 1" commercial grade work surface with melamine finish that resist scratches, stains and wear
- The hutch for credenza offers two flip up doors, large closed storage space, efficient wire management and two large paper shelves
This u-shaped front desk comes in two different color and style options and is made for scratch resistance. It has a hutch with two doors and storage spaces.
Includes good wire management and a separate file cabinet. With drawers and a keyboard tray as well and is fully reversible.
- Hutch, pedestal, drawers, and storage
- High quality materials
- Wire management
- Very heavy
- None of the drawers lock
- May be too tall for some receptionists
Final Thoughts on U-Shaped Reception Desks
There are a ton of different options, types, and styles of u-shaped reception desks to go at the front of your business or in your lobby.
There are some that fit nearly every price point that offer ergonomic designs and functionality. You are sure to find one that works for you!
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API