Sure electric standing desks are popular, but manual standing desks also have advantages.
There are a ton of great ones on the market to choose from, but you need to know what to look for.
This buying guide will help you make the right decision by:
- Giving you our top 5 hand crank standing desks
- Telling you the reasons to buy a manually adjustable one over electric
- Explaining what you should look for when shopping
Are you ready? Let’s go!
Our Top 5 Hand Crank Standing Desks
- Atlantic Crank Adjustable Height Desk (Best Budget)
- S Stand Up Crank Adjustable Height Standing Desk (Best High End)
What are Hand Crank Standing Desks?
It is great to stand more often for energy, focus, and health. However, electric standing desks can be expensive.
You also need to have your desk near a plug to use them. This isn’t always convenient.
When choosing a hand crank standing desk be sure to pick one that suits your specific needs.
There are one-legged, two-legged, rolling, and stationary options to choose from that all offer something unique.
Watch this video to learn more about manually adjustable hand crank standing desks!
What are the Different Types of Hand Crank Standing Desks?
All hand-crank standing desks are manually operated, but there are still some different types you should know about.
Most manually adjustable desks are stationary meaning they don’t have wheels.
As long as you aren’t planning on moving the desk often, this is a great choice. They are often sturdy and durable.
Rolling desks have caster wheels so that you can easily move them. This is a good option for jobs that require mobility.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Rolling Standing Desks (2021 Review)
Most standing desks have two legs. This makes them heavy, but strong.
If you need to fit a desk in a small space, however, you may want to look into one-legged models.
This type has the desktop sitting on a leg that is typically centered.
A lot of one-legged standing desks also have caster wheels so that you can easily move them around.
How do Hand Crank Standing Desks Work?
Hand crank standing desks are manually operated with the use of a crank that the user turns to adjust the height of the desktop.
Some desks require more turns of the crank than others, but generally, you will be looking at less than 40 turns to fully adjust from standing to sitting and vice versa.
They usually work by allowing wheels to slide along a track in the legs of the desk. It uses a pulley system and gears to lift or lower the desk.
You want a good quality system so that it adjusts smoothly and will be long-lasting.
What to Look for in the Best Hand Crank Standing Desks?
You want to select a great workstation with a large enough workspace or work surface to allow you to get your tasks done - but how do you know if it is good quality? Will it have all the other features you need too?
You need to find a desk that has a quality-adjusting mechanism for a few different reasons. If it is made well, it will last longer.
This is important since buying new desks costs money and moving them takes time and effort.
You also want one that adjusts smoothly. This will make the crank quiet and hassle-free. It will also make it easier for you to change from standing to sitting and back.
A high-quality hand crank system will also be faster and easier to adjust. If it takes too long, it may reduce the number of times you want to adjust the desk.
You should also take the placement of the handle into account. They are located in different places depending on the manufacturer and the model. Sometimes they are located on the sides.
Other times they are on the front. You want to make sure you get one that is comfortable for you to adjust.
This may be in a different spot depending on whether you are right-handed or left-handed.
Finally, if the hand crank is on the side of the table, you need to make sure it will fit where you need it to.
Some models offer collapsing hand cranks so that it isn’t in the way when you don’t need to operate them.
Best Hand Crank Standing Desks Reviewed
#1 Stand Steady Tranzendesk | 55 Inch Dual Level Standing Desk with Shelf
- EXTRA WIDE STANDING DESK: Go from sitting to standing in seconds with the Tranzendesk Dual full size stand-up desk! The ergonomic 55” desktop with shelf promotes a more active, ergonomic workday
- ERGONOMIC MONITOR STAND: What’s better than one level? Two levels! The built-in 55” desk shelf keeps up to 3 monitors at eye-level to help prevent neck pain and free up desk space
This desk is fantastic and provides a spacious 55 Inch desktop and a 55 Inch shelf that could fit 3 monitors.
It also has a fantastic height range that extends to 47.5” so that even tall people can be comfortable.
Large feet and a crossbar keep it sturdy and balanced, it features a sturdy steel frame with a scratch-resistant powder-coated finish for years of dependable use.
- Wide shelf for additional room
- Great height range
- The crank can go on either side
- Difficult assembly instructions
#2 Atlantic Crank Adjustable Height Desk
- ✔️ DURABILITY: Virtually maintenance-free hand crank operation, no electricity required to operate
- ✔️ STURDINESS: Powder-coated sturdy all-steel frame
This is a great desk for a reasonable price. It has caster wheels to make it mobile and the crank can be attached to either side.
It also comes with a storage basket so you have additional room. A crossbar gives it extra stability.
- Easy to adjust
- Crank can go on either side
- One color option
- Difficult Assembly
- Low-quality desktop
#3 S Stand Up Crank Adjustable Height Standing Desk
- Spacious and versatile desktop; leave it flat for a simplicity, or accessorize with ergonomic add-ons like a monitor shelf, keyboard tray, pencil drawer, and more
- Hand crank height adjustment is simple, strong, and durable; crank can be positioned on front or either side of desk
This desk is very high quality and you can choose from a large range of color options and two different size options.
It can crank up to over 48” so it is suitable for tall folks. It has a solid design and a smooth crank mechanism.
- Tons of options
- Solid desktop
- Great crank system
- Doesn’t go super low
- Difficult Assembly
#4 VIVO Height Adjustable 55 x 24 inch Standing Desk
- Create Active Standing - Go from sitting to standing at the turn of a handle with this complete active workstation providing comfortable viewing angles and customized user heights that help improve focus, mood, energy levels, and more!
- Solid One-Piece 55" Surface - This 55.2” x 23.6” table provides a large surface for a variety of monitor and laptop setups along with important work materials and decor. The table top features moisture resistant particle board for long lasting use.
The VIVO desk comes in two size options and two color options, it should be easy to find one that works for you.
This desk has an all-steel frame, sturdy particleboard top, and solid support crossbar, and it can hold up to 88 lbs with ease.
The table top features a moisture-resistant particle board for long-lasting use.
You will be able to adjust the height from 27.6” to 46.2”, and the handle is removable to save space when it’s not in use.
- 88 lb weight limit
- Smooth adjustment
- Large adjustment range
- Some people will find the assembly hard
- Takes some time to crank it up or down
#5 FlexiSpot Standing Desk Hand Crank
- Manual Sit Stand Desk: An easy-crank design allows for smooth, effortless height adjustment throughout the day. The crank can also be folded back under the desktop increased convenience and space savings.
- Height Adjustable Workstation: With a height range of 29" to 48.6" (with 1-inch desktop included), anyone can find their favorite working heights for maximum comfort. Transitions are smooth and easy thanks to the durable manual hand crank.
This desk has color and size options and is more affordable than others of the same quality.
It has a great weight limit of 154 lbs and a height range of 29” to 48.6” to suit virtually anyone. It is sturdy with an easy-to-use crank mechanism.
- Height range
- Weight limit
- Difficult assembly
- The handle is low quality
- Slow adjustment
Final Thoughts on Hand Crank Standing Desks
There are some great options at every price point when it comes to manually adjustable standing desks.
Depending on your needs, you can select one that is large or small, mobile or stationary.
There is a lot that isn’t too expensive but is still made with high-quality materials. You just got to know what to look for.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API