If you are shopping around for standing desks, be sure not to forget about pneumatic standing desks.
There are tons of quality desks to choose from, but how do you know which one to get?
This guide will cover:
- The top 5 pneumatic standing desks ranked for quality, value, and style
- Why these desks are a great choice
- How these types of desks work
There’s a lot to cover so let’s get started!
Our Top 5 Pneumatic Standing Desks
- PneuDesk Moveable Sit/Standing Desk (Our Top Pick)
- S Stand Up Pneumatic Adjustable Height Standing Desk (Best High End)
What Are Pneumatic Standing Desks?
Standing desks have been all the rage lately. It’s because of studies that show the negative effects of sitting all day, every day.
Manual and electric standing desks can help you stand more often, but pneumatic standing desks are even better.
Pneumatic standing desks use air to move from a sitting position to a standing position and back. They can adjust between sitting and standing smoothly and often adjust faster than electric standing desks.
A combination of standing and sitting is shown to be the healthiest, and a pneumatic standing desk can make this easier to do.
Read More >> Should You Use a Standing Desk All Day?
Pneumatic desks take less effort than manual desks, but don’t take up the energy that electronic standing desks require.
In addition, you don’t need to plug them in, they are quiet, and they are often cheaper than electric models.
Most models are built with sturdy steel legs or reinforced inner legs to help them support the additional weight of the pneumatic mechanism & multiple monitors.
Check out this video to learn more about the health benefits of standing desks!
What Are the Different Types of Pneumatic Standing Desks?
There are two major types of pneumatic desks that you should be aware of that have different styles but work using the same concept.
Single Pneumatic Cylinder Standing Desks
This type of pneumatic standing desk only has one pneumatic cylinder. This type of desk has only one leg attaching the desktop to the feet.
They are very versatile because of their size and mobility. Depending on your needs, this may be a suitable option.
Many people in the education and medical fields prefer this type of pneumatic standing desk.
Double Pneumatic Cylinder Standing Desks
This type uses two cylinders to raise and lower the desktop. This means that two legs go from the feet to the desktop.
They are usually larger than single piston standing desks. They are often more expensive and less versatile, but can be stronger and have a larger work area.
This may be your best option if you plan on keeping a lot of stuff on your desk, especially if you don’t plan on moving the desk very often.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Industrial Standing Desks (2021 Review)
How Do Pneumatic Standing Desks Work?
Pneumatics are used in a number of different machines from cars to robots. They work using one or more cylinders and air or other gas working together as a piston.
Pneumatic standing desks use compressed air to assist the lifting or lowering.
This reduces the amount of effort that it takes to raise or lower the desk without using electricity. It also takes less time to adjust than manual and electric standing desks.
Pneumatic standing desks use one or two cylinders. The cylinders are filled with gas or air. When you raise the desk, usually with a lever, the compressed gases will expand.
When you lower the desk, the air or gas is compressed. This process provides the pistons with force and assists you when you adjust the pneumatic standing desk to your preferred height.
Since there are less parts than an electric standing desk that has one or two motors, there are less parts to wear out.
This makes pneumatic standing desks dependable and long lasting. You also don’t have to worry about finding a plug, losing power, or paying extra on your electricity bill.
If the desk is a double cylinder standing desk, there will be an additional part. They usually have a rod or wire that will connect the legs.
This will make them work simultaneously when you activate the pneumatics with the lever.
What to Look for in the Best Pneumatic Standing Desks?
When you are looking for a pneumatic standing desk, you should first look at some things to help you narrow down your choices. This is true with any type of standing desk.
First, you should narrow down the options based on budget. The price range for pneumatic standing desks is large, so find a price range that you are comfortable with.
You should then narrow down based on the size of the desk. Make sure it is large enough to fit where you want it.
You may also want to take the weight restrictions into consideration.
You also need to find one that adjusts to the height you want it to. If it doesn’t go high enough for you to comfortably stand, don’t bother with it.
You can also look at different styles and eliminate any you don’t like.
If noise is an important factor for you, pneumatic desks are a fantastic option. Most make very little noise, but it doesn’t hurt to take noise levels into consideration.
As far as the pneumatic system goes, there are a couple things to consider that relate to the power it provides.
First, you have to make sure the pneumatic system is strong enough to hold the desk up and operate with the weight of the materials you plan on putting on the desktop.
Some pneumatic standing desks can hold more than others. Not only does it need to support the weight, but it also needs to be easily operable while the weight is on top.
Second, you may want to consider how the power of the pneumatics affects the speed of adjustment.
If you will be adjusting the height of the standing desk often, this may be really important to you.
Pneumatic desks are generally very fast when you adjust them, but some are quicker than others.
Best Pneumatic Standing Desks Reviewed
- ???????????????????????????????????? ???????????????? ???????????????????????????????????? – Pneumatic height adjustment with dual gas cylinders. No power source is needed & no messy cables to deal with. Includes steel frame with crossbar for enhanced stability and two built-in casters in the rear for easy movement. Simply lift the desk slightly from the front and roll it anywhere with ease.
- ????????????-???????????????????? ???????????????????? ???????????? – 47” x 27” ergonomically-shaped top is made of MDF with 3D laminate. The top has pre-installed metal anchors for easy installation and can be re-installed multiple times without damage.
This is our top rated pick and for the price, this pneumatic standing desk is amazing. It is incredibly strong and stable thanks to a great design that includes a cross bar.
The pneumatic system is high quality and the height range extends all the way from 29” to 48” so even tall people can be comfortable.
- One hand adjustment
- Four size options
- Caster Wheels
- Long assembly time
- Not a ton of leg room when sitting
- Only available in black
- Sitting in an office chair for long hours is unhealthy, a sit to stand desk will help you achieve a healthier work life. The lever transitions the table to multiple heights, for the best suited position for you.
- Achieve healthy blood flow with a pneumatic adjustable sit/stand desk
This desk is great quality for an even better price. The sleek modern look makes it a stylish addition to your work area.
It is lightweight and has caster wheels so it is perfect for those who need a mobile pneumatic standing desk.
- Mobile with wheels
- Height range of 29” to 40.75”
- Sturdy construction
- Two handed operation
- Small desktop
- Slower pneumatics
- Lever-actuated pneumatic height adjustment for fast and easy transitions from sitting to standing
- Extended height adjustment range to accommodate shorter and taller users
This desk is beautiful, high quality, and functional. Not only that, but the price is surprisingly reasonable.
With three color options and two choices of size, you can surely find the perfect desk. A sturdy design and powerful pneumatics give this desk the edge on competition.
- Smooth pneumatics
- Color and size options
- Sturdy design
- Difficult Assembly
- Not a lot of legroom
- 35 lb weight limit for pneumatic use
- Boost your productivity level with this 60-inch Realspace Magellan height-adjustable standing desk. The pneumatic lift-assist controls let you easily adjust from a sitting to a standing position for flexibility. An ample worksurface provides accommodation for your laptop and writing materials, while the scratch resistant surface provides added durability. This Realspace Magellan height-adjustable standing desk features a steel frame construction for stability and durability.
- Steel frame with smooth finish.
This gorgeous pneumatic standing desk has a smooth and fast pneumatic system. It has a great height range so that you can comfortably sit and stand.
It is made from strong steel and medium-density fiberboard so it is durable and long lasting.
The color and finish give it a look that can match both fancy and casual atmospheres.
- Stable and Strong (200 lb weight limit)
- Easy Assembly
- Height Range of 30” to 43”
- Requires two hands to operate
- Only one size option
- Heavy desk and hard to move at over 100 lbs
- Lever-activated pneumatic air cylinder easily adjusts anywhere between 27.5" and 44.5"Generous work surface provides plenty of room for multiple monitorsConstructed with two sturdy steel legs each reinforced with durable inner legsChamfered edges keep forearms comfortable while typing and workingSturdy scratch-resistant desktop with a teak finishShips in one boxMinimal assembly requiredMeets ANSI/BIFMA standardsDIMENSIONS:Overall: 56"W x 26"D x 27.5" to 44.5"HDesktop: 56"W x 26"
This desk has a gorgeous wood grained top and sleek modern design.
A powerful pneumatic system keeps the transitions in the large height range smooth.
The large desktop and fast adjustment make this the perfect desk for productivity.
- Height range from 27.5” to 44.5”
- Large desktop
- High quality pneumatics
- Not much legroom
- Only one color and size available
- Long assembly time
Final Thoughts on Pneumatic Standing Desks
If you want to adjust your standing desk effortlessly without the restrictions that come with electric standing desks, pneumatics are your best option.
They are generally more affordable and longer lasting than electric models, plus the speed of adjustment is often better.
You can’t go wrong with any of the desks reviewed in this guide!
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API