There are so many options for standing desks available...or so you thought.
The solutions that will fit a short person while standing and sitting are more scarce because so many of them are designed for tall and average-height people.
However, there are still some fantastic options!
This article will cover
- The best standing desks for people of below-average height
- The types available and how they work
- What to look for in the best options
Let’s get right to it!
Our Top 5 Best Standing Desks for a Short Person
- Ergotron - WorkFit-TL Standing Desk Converter (Our Top Pick)
- Calico Designs Adapta Height Adjustable Office Desk (Best Budget)
- Furmax Electric Height Adjustable Standing Desk (Best High End)
What are Standing Desks for a Short Person?
Standing desks that are designed with short people in mind will go to a lower height so that the person can sit comfortably.
In addition, short people have found that desks are often too tall for them so that they have to look straight at the computer screen or even up when it is better to be above the monitor.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Pneumatic Standing Desks (2022 Review)
Being uncomfortable because your standing desk is not the correct height can lead to more issues like increased back and neck pain.
Proper standing may help to reduce your back pain, but having a desk that suits you is crucial to this benefit. Not only that, but you will be less likely to stand and sitting can be very bad for your health.
Sometimes, these desks will still suit a person of average height because they will just have a larger height range.
This means that they will still go up to a similar height, but will also lower to a comfortable height.
However, some options have the entire height range moved down enough to compensate for a petite person, but will not work for taller people.
Also, check out this video to learn about office chairs that will suit a shorter person that you will need to go with your desk!
What are the Different Types of Standing Desks for a Short Person?
There are a lot of different types of standing desks that may be good for someone of smaller stature.
These include the typical types of desks as well as a couple of other possible options.
There are manual and electric adjustable standing desks, standing desk converters, desk risers (I know it does not sound right for a short person, but it could be!), two-tiered desks, and optional accessories.
A manually adjustable desk may go low enough to suit your height, but you will have to make sure before you make the purchase.
Usually, these desks will use a lever, knob, or crank to adjust.
These options adjust with the touch of a button and often have large height ranges.
There are a lot of options that do not go low enough, but there are also some that do.
This is a good option for those who have to adjust the desk to suit people of different heights as well.
They often have programmable memory buttons so that you can save sitting and standing heights or heights that are good for different people.
Standing Desk Converters
Standing desk converters are one of the most popular choices for people that are on the shorter end of the spectrum.
They can often adjust to your height and many options can go all the way down to your existing desk.
This means that you have a huge range of heights to choose from to suit your specific size.
However, some options have to adjust to set heights, so make sure that the height will work for you.
A two-tiered desk that is generally meant to use the higher level for the monitor may be a great option for a shorter person.
This is because you can put the monitor on the lower level to suit your lower height. In addition, this can be a great option to have extra desk space or multiple monitors.
Desk Risers and Extensions
This may sound like the opposite advice since desk risers increase the height of a desk, but they are a good option.
There are plenty of traditional desks that may be put on risers or leg extensions to become standing desks suited for a shorter person.
However, doing this may make it impossible, or at least very difficult, to adjust back to sitting.
There are also a couple of accessories that you may benefit from. The first is a desk mat.
Even though they are not very thick, they will raise your standing or sitting height a little which may offer a more comfortable sitting position.
There are also keyboard trays that may help you type comfortably instead of reaching the keyboard at an upward angle.
How Do Standing Desks for a Short Person Work?
A standing desk that is designed for a short person will have a lower height range than one for a person of average height or greater.
They are made to work for shorter people at both sitting and standing heights.
For sitting, the keyboard should be even with your elbows when your arms are extended outward at a 90-degree angle.
For example, someone who is 5 foot 3 inches would have a desk at 24 inches high when they are sitting on a chair at the right height.
The desk will also be designed to keep the height of the monitor at a good location for shorter people.
For standing, the keyboard height will increase to 38 inches for someone who is 5 foot 3 inches tall. This keeps the elbows at a 90-degree angle.
The monitor should also remain in a good location.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desks for a Short Person?
The main thing to look for when shopping for a standing desk that suits a petite person is the height of the desk.
You will have to consider the best standing desk heights for both standing and sitting.
You should be able to keep your arms out at a 90-degree angle when typing whether you are standing or sitting.
Read More >> Standing Desks On Carpet Floors?
When in the comfortable, ergonomic typing position, you will also want to stay at a good eye level relative to the monitor height.
Make sure that the standing desk will hold the monitor so that the top inch or two of the screen remains at eye level.
Finally, you will have to consider legroom while sitting.
Some standing desks may go low enough for a short person, but are not designed for it and have a crossbar or support bar that will get in the way of legs at a shorter height.
Check out this table for average heights, but also be sure to double-check since everyone’s proportions are different.
|Height||Seated Elbow Height||Standing Elbow Height||Sitting Monitor Height||Standing Monitor Height|
Best Standing Desks for a Short Person
#1 Ergotron - WorkFit-TL Standing Desk Converter
- Transform your existing desk into a sit-stand desk with a large worksurface and keyboard tray, plus 15 inches (38 centimeters) of smooth vertical lift
- Make your move for a better workday by sitting or standing with a comfortable, ergonomic fit that helps boost your productivity and focus
This standing desk converter is great for people who are on the shorter side. It has a keyboard tray that will rest on the existing desk at the lowest setting.
The desk has a height range of 5 to 20 inches. It also holds up to 40 pounds while remaining functional and comes in two colors and two size options.
Finally, it includes a 5-year warranty.
- Keyboard tray
- 40-pound weight limit
- 5-year warranty
- 5-inch monitor height is the lowest
- The keyboard tray is not adjustable
#2 Calico Designs Adapta Height Adjustable Office Desk
- Dimensions - Overall Dimensions: 36"W X 22.25"D X 23"-32" H, Main Work Surface: 36"W x 20" D
- Adjustable Height Desk - Super Tough 1" Thick Work Surface with T-Mold Edge Band, standing adjustable desk with adjustable Top Height from 23" to 32" in 1" Increments
This attractive standing desk is very affordable and has a 36 or 48-inch wide desktop depending on your choice.
The table itself is one inch thick and high quality. The crossbar provides extra durability and support. It can manually adjust in 1-inch increments between 23 and 32 inches.
- Attractive design
- 23 inches is the lowest height (so short people under 5’4” may not be able to use it for sitting)
- Manually adjustable
- Not the most stable
#3 Furmax Electric Height Adjustable Standing Desk
- 【Health Office Style】Sitting for long periods at the office puts a huge strain on our bodies, leading to back and neck problems. This standing desk will bring a healthy way of working， allow you to sit and stand alternately to work, relieve leg numbness and body fatigue caused by long sitting, and makes your energy more concentrated.
- 【Memory Electric Lift】Compared with the ordinary office desk, this standing desk can easily control the height using buttons, so that it can be used by people of different heights in different scenes. The design of 1/2 memory keys allows it to be adjusted quickly and accurately to your preset comfortable height. The motor system also includes a child safety lock function, anti-collision function, and overheat protection function.
This is an attractive and high-quality desk and its height can be adjusted between 28.7” to 48.1’.
It has an electric motor that adjusts at 1 inch per second and has 4 programmable memory buttons.
The lift capacity is 145 lbs and it has strong, steel legs. It has a high-class solid wood desktop and multiple size and color options to choose from.
- Solid wood desktop
- 145 lbs weight limit
- Quiet, fast adjustment
- Not very stable & shaky
- Motor makes noise
#4 FENGE Standing Desk Converter
- 【Spacious Work Area】: The top surface measures 25.7” x 15.9” providing plenty of space for a single monitor, dual monitor, and laptop + computer monitor setups. Raises to 15.7 inches and lowers down to 2.1 inches making this ideal for you no matter your height
- 【Special Design】: Designed for students or women. One person could move it without help.
This standing desk converter raises from 2.1 inches to 15.7 inches so as long as the 2 inches is not too much for your sitting height on your existing desk, it should work well for shorter people.
The design makes it easy to adjust and it comes fully assembled. It is also very durable for the price.
- 2.1-inch to 15.7-inch height range
- Easy adjustment
- Small desktop
- Will not support heavy weight
- No keyboard tray
#5 VIVO Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter
- Sit to Stand - VIVO's adjustable, ultra-slim desk riser allows you to find that needed healthy balance between sitting and standing throughout the work day. This workstation uses an innovative touch height locking mechanism to adjust anywhere from 1.5" to 16.1".
- Space Efficient 27" Surface - The desktop measures 27" (32" including handles) x 21.3”, providing ample space for different monitor and laptop setups. The area is large enough to use with a full-size keyboard.
This standing desk converter can adjust anywhere from 1 to 15 inches so it is great for shorter people. It has a 27-inch desktop and comes in white or black.
The frame is made of heavy-duty, durable steel. Not only that, but it is also less than $100!
- Lowers to 1 inch
- 22-pound weight limit
- May shift during adjustment
- Limited desktop space
Final Thoughts on Standing Desk for a Short Person
Even though fewer options have a height range that is suitable for a short person, there are still some affordable and high-quality choices available.
It is important to consider both the monitor height and the keyboard height when deciding.
Since alternating between sitting and standing throughout the day is the most beneficial, you will want to make sure that the desk will adjust to suit your height.