Why one handed gaming keyboards?
Sometimes it can be frustrating to use a large, full-sized keyboard to play games. It can be unwieldy and take up too much space.
Plus, they are expensive if you want a top notch product!
This article includes:
- The top 5 best one handed gaming keyboards and their pros and cons
- How they work for ergonomics and gaming performance
- What to keep in mind when you are shopping around for one
Let’s dive in!
Best One Handed Gaming Keyboards
- Razer Tartarus v2 Gaming Keypad: Mecha-Membrane Key Switches (Our Top Pick)
- RedThunder One Handed Gaming Keyboard (Best Budget)
- Aming Keyboard and Mouse (Best High End)
What are One Handed Gaming Keyboards?
One handed keyboards are small, compact keyboards designed specifically for gaming. They are easier to use along with a mouse and can sit next to the full-size keyboard you use for typing.
Also they have a great design that offers a modern look with better function than a large keyboard that takes up too much space in front of the monitor.
And offer better ergonomics than their full-sized counterparts as well. You can comfortably rest your hand on top while easily reaching every key that you need for the game.
One handed gaming keyboards offer support and functionality for any gamer and take up a lot less space. Finally, they are great for gaming performance because they are easy to use without moving your hand too much.
Read More >> Best Expensive Gaming Chairs (2021 Review)
This allows you to play games with better muscle memory while keeping your eyes on the screen.
You may also want to check out this video about different sized keyboards so you can make a better decision
What are the Different Types of One Handed Gaming Keyboards?
There are a few different types of one handed gaming keyboards to keep in mind. In addition to the standard type, there are specialized options with customizable buttons and keys.
There are also ones that come with mouse, wireless options, and ergonomic ones designed for gaming comfort. Let’s look at what each type has to offer!
The standard type has the same key structure as the left side of a full-sized keyboard, just with the keys you do not utilize while gaming removed.
Which saves money and space and allows for a more comfortable functionality than a traditional keyboard. They also come in modern styles in a wide range of colors and aesthetics to suit any gamer.
This type has custom controls and features designed for gamers. They may have scroll wheels for faster movement in a game (great for RTS players) or joysticks for a more immersive experience.
Read More >> Top 5 Best L Shaped Gaming Desks? (2021 Review)
Many of these also have thumb buttons or other directional pads. This a a great choice for a serious gamer or someone who plays multiple genres.
A lot of gamers use a keyboard and a mouse for their preferred setup. This type of one handed gaming keyboard comes with a mouse that matches in style and function.
Which means that it will have the right type of movements and number of buttons to complement the exact keyboard design.
This is a great choice for those who want an easy and immersive gaming experience.
While most one handed gaming keyboards plug into a USB port or other location, there are also wireless options.
This is great for mobility and you can even set the one handed keyboard in your lap or move it around during the game.
This movement can keep you comfortable. Not only that, but it makes it easier to use the wireless keyboard with multiple different computers if you plan on gaming with others or in other locations.
This type is designed primarily for comfort with a secondary emphasis on functionality. They often have wrist padding and a curved or tilted design.
They also have the keys placed to reduce the amount of movement required to use the keyboard. This is a great choice for gamers who have long periods of playing.
How Do One Handed Gaming Keyboards Work?
They work by allowing you to use a keyboard that fits in a smaller portion of your desk.
A lot of gamers use their desk for work or school during the day and for gaming at night. This makes it easy to switch between the working setup and the gaming setup for complete functionality and comfort.
Read More>> Best Kneeling Chairs for Gaming (2021 Review)
Since one handed gaming keyboards are smaller than full-size gaming keyboards, you can also save a lot of money with one.
In fact, there are plenty of options under $50.
They also offer less movement and you do not need to move the position of your hands around the keyboard like you would have to do with a full sized option.
What to Look for in the Best One Handed Gaming Keyboards?
To make sure that you get the best one handed keyboard product for the way you want to use it, there are some things to keep in mind.
First, the size of the keyboard is a major factor, you want it to be large enough so that your hand does not cramp up.
But you do not want it too large because then you will have to move your hand too much, which can reduce comfort and impact gaming performance.
The type of gaming that you enjoy and the genres you participate in should also play a role.
While some one handed gaming keyboards are designed for complete functionality, others are better for certain genres.
Some, like those with joysticks, extra buttons, and other features may be better made for those who primarily play one or two genres.
Another thing to consider for functionality is the keys themselves. For some games, firmer keys that are more difficult to press down work best.
For others, the easy to push buttons are best. Just make sure that you find one that works for all of your gaming experiences and situations.
The number of keys and features can vary as well.
Make sure that if you are playing complicated games where you will want to open up different screens, use different items, and more that you will have the buttons to do so easily and readily whenever you need to.
Finally, you should keep the color in mind.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Green Gaming Chairs (2021 Review)
One handed gaming keyboards come in a large variety of colors so that you can choose one that fits the room and the color of your gaming PC or laptop.
Best One Handed Gaming Keyboards
- High-Performance Mecha-Membrane Switches: Provides the tactile feedback of mechanical key press on a comfortable, soft-cushioned, membrane, rubber dome switch suitable for gaming
- 32 Mecha-Membrane Keys for More Hotkeys and Actions: Perfect for gaming or integrating into creative workflows with fully programmable keys
This fantastic one handed gaming keyboard has a comfortable padding and 32 mecha-membrane keys.
It also has a 8-way directional thumbpad that allows for a comfortable and functional experience.
You can remap the keys and combinations for complex commands and it also syncs with popular games. Each of the keys is individually backlit with 16.8 million colors supported.
- 8-way directional keypad
- Key remapping
- May be too large for some people
- Thumbpad can be slippery
- Noisy keys
- 【Professional Gaming Keyboard】Built-in game chip, with 3ms faster response speed, more fluent for playing games, perfect for game enthusiasts to fully enjoy the pleasure of games. All 35 keys anti-ghosting, suitable for almost all PC games.
- 【Macro Recording Keys】'FN+F1' and 'FN+F2' are two sets of macro recording keys. Macro recording method: 1.Press FN+ESC until the backlit flashes to start recording; 2.Enter what you need to record; 3.Press 'FN+F1' or 'FN+F2' to end recording. The macro recording has been completed, press 'FN+F1' or 'FN+F2', the corresponding content will be output. If you want to clear the recording, just press FN+ESC until the backlit flashes, then press 'FN+F1' or 'FN+F2'.
This gaming keyboard has 35 keys and macro recording functionality for ease of use, which makes repetitive tasks much more enjoyable.
It also has a compact design and ergonomic wrist comfort. It also has 7 unique colors to choose from and is compatible with most operating systems.
- Macro recording capabilities
- Ergonomic wrist padding
- Very affordable
- Cheap plastic
- Does not have memory for computer restarts for keyboard settings
- No windows key
- One Combo for All Consoles: GameSir VX2 AimSwitch supports almost all mainstream consoles: Xbox one, Xbox one S, Xbox one X, Xbox series X/S, PS4, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Switch Lite, Windows PC. Support Games include: Call of Duty, Apex Legends, Fornite, PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch.
- RGB Backlit Game Keyboard: GameSir VX2 is 2nd gen game keyboard and mouse, featuring individually programmable backlit keys and color options and different effect, which Build your own unique keypad.
This one handed keyboard and mouse works for PC, PS4, Xbox one, Nintendo Switch, and more.
It has programmable backlit keys with unique color options and mechanical red switches and has a 50 million keystroke lifespan.
This product is designed for speed and ease of use and has a 3D joystick.
- Works with most consoles and computers
- Durable and long lasting
- 3D joystick
- Hard to configure
- Mouse not always smooth
- More expensive than other options
- 【Build in Versatile Joystick】The IFYOO Joystick Keypad Feature Console Quality Joystick with 4 Profiles can be switched seamlessly. Use it for Fast Movement, Move the in-Game Camera, Quick Commands or use it with Our Conolse adpater for PS4, Xbox One, Switch
- 【RGB Backlight 36 Keys】RGB Backlight, 36 Keys in total. Acess all your command within finger tips. No cluster. Please note: there is no Key Mapping software available.
The one handed keyboard and mouse combo has a easy to use design with a joystick keypad and 36 total keys.
It also has 2 macro recording keys and optimal positioning for gamers. Also has a anti-slip textured palm reset to support the hand and wrist.
It even comes with a 1 year warranty.
- Macro Recording
- Smooth mouse
- No Key mapping software
- No customization
- May wobble some
- No-distractions Wireless: Equipped with 2.4Ghz wireless data transmission tech, K585 DITI now is cable-free for more possibility. Now you can place it anywhere on your desktop, not just to the left of your standard keyboard.
- Long-lasting Durability: Built-in 3000 mAh battery, supports up to 15-20 hours continuous play time with RGB backlight on. 10 hours fast charging with a detachable USB-C cable for battery reload makes you back online in every morning.
This wireless keyboard is durable with a built in mAh battery for 15 to 20 hours of play time. It fully charges in 10 hours and has a satisfying click with each key.
It also has 7 programmable macro keys and an ergonomic detachable wrist-rest area using magnets for support and comfort.
- 7 Macro keys
- Noisy keys
- No brown keys
- May not be great for those with smaller hands
Final Thoughts on One Handed Gaming Keyboards
A one handed gaming keyboard is an easy way to improve your gaming experience and performance.
There are tons of options available for different types of gamers and games. Be sure to check out the ones that match the type of gamer you are whether it has to do with the genre or how much you play.
There are options for virtually any price point to choose from that can be a great addition to your gaming area.
Last update on 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API