Traditional office chairs often have back support, but that does not mean that they do not cause back pain.
In fact, back pain is only one of the several issues that occur with prolonged sitting. Instead, you may want to try a kneeling chair.
This article covers:
- The top 5 best kneeling chairs with back support
- What they are and how they work
- What to look for in the best ones
Let’s dive on in!
Best Kneeling Chairs with Back Support
- DRAGONN by VIVO Ergonomic Kneeling Chair with Back Support (Our Top Pick)
- LONABR Ergonomic Kneeling Chair with Back Support (Best Budget)
- Varier ThatSit Balans Kneeling Chair (Best High End)
What are Kneeling Chairs with Back Support?
Kneeling chairs provide a different type of sitting where your hips and pelvis will be moved slightly forward.
This can reduce back pain by providing a natural position for the spine to rest and giving the user opportunity for good posture.
It creates a 110 degree bottom to thigh angle instead of the 90 degree angle that is used for traditional types of chairs.
Many kneeling chairs do not have back support. However, this can be hard to relax or use for those who have lower back pain.
Kneeling chairs that have backrests can be good because they offer a backrest without the ability to slouch.
It also provides a chair that promotes active sitting while also giving you a place to rest without having to get up away from your desk.
Check out this video to learn how to build your own kneeling chair from scratch!
What are the Different Types of Kneeling Chairs with Back Support?
There are several different types of kneeling chairs that have back rests. The main types are standard, adjustable, ergonomic, detachable, rocking, and saddle seat.
This is the regular type of kneeling chair that has a backrest. They are usually very simple and sometimes have one and sometimes two knee support pads.
The double knee support pads allow you to open up your hips more which can be good for the joints and your flexibility.
These types also sometimes come with caster wheels for mobility.
This option has an adjustable backrest. This means that you can change the height of the backrest separately from the height of the seat.
Some more expensive options even have a seat depth adjustment feature.
This type has extreme adjustability and usually has lumbar support as well.
This is a great option if you plan on sharing the chair or if you already suffer from lower back pain.
This type has a backrest that can be removed.
This is great because you can workout the muscles in the core and back when the back support is removed, but then you can reattach it if you want to lean back and relax.
This is the best type for those who want their chair to encourage active sitting.
The chair rocks back and forth which helps to prevent the issues that arise with a sedentary lifestyle. It promotes movement which can strengthen muscles and burn calories.
This option has a saddle seat instead of a traditional seat which can help to provide even more natural curvature to the spine.
It can also be more comfortable as long as it is the right size.
How Do Kneeling Chairs with Back Support Work?
Kneeling chairs with back support offer the benefits of active sitting and good posture with a back support to prevent inadequate use.
The back support keeps your back straight and may even provide additional support that can help to reduce or prevent back pain.
In addition, a kneeling chair does not provide any opportunity to slouch so the backrest does not cause the same issues that it does with a traditional office chair.
Read More >> Are Stools Better for Your Back?
In addition, the kneeling chair can support your back and strengthen your core and back muscles. This can further prevent aches and pains as well as injury.
The back support also provides a place to rest during breaks that you would not have with other types of kneeling chairs that do not include a backrest.
What to Look for in the Best Kneeling Chairs with Back Support?
With a kneeling chair that has an attached backrest, there are some important things to consider. You need to consider the depth of the seat or the backrest location.
Ability to use the backrest when you need to, some users do not want the backrest always resting on their back while they are in the kneeling chair.
You also want to make sure that the seat is comfortable with the amount of space until the backrest begins.
Another consideration is the height of the backrest.
If you want full back support then you will want a taller backrest. Many options are only small backrests that may be beneficial for some people.
The firmness of the back support is also important. You need to make sure that it will adequately support your back and shoulder when you use it.
You also want to make sure that it offers substantial lumbar support. If not, you probably should consider other, more ergonomic options.
Another consideration is the height of the chair itself.
You want to make sure that it fits where you need it to and that you can use your desk while sitting in the chair.
Furthermore, you will want to make sure that you have sufficient space for your legs underneath the desk.
The width of the backrest may also be important. You want it to support the entire width of your back.
Some are thin and may work for some people, but it is important that you get one that fits your body and your needs.
Finally, you will want to consider the weight limitations for the chair. This is important for any kneeling chair, but may be more important for those that have backrests.
This is because the backrest may not support the same amount of weight as the rest of the chair does.
Read More >> Best Office Chairs for Heavy People (2021 Review)
Best Kneeling Chairs with Back Support
#1 DRAGONN by VIVO Ergonomic Kneeling Chair with Back Support
- Ergonomic Kneeling Chair - We’ve got your back (and your knees, shins, and your behind!) Your ergonomic kneeling chair with back support is equipped with a mesh three-inch thick cushion to ensure excellent support. It features 4 casters (wheels) so you have the freedom to move – just like your old office chair! PLEASE NOTE: You will use different muscles in a kneeling chair, so it’s best to acclimate yourself when first using or switch positions throughout the day.
- Better Posture While Tilted - There is no reason to hunch over your keyboard or desk for hours on end anymore. This posture chair has a functional design that gives you the posture benefits of standing and the relief of sitting all in one. It will keep your back at an upright position, distributing your weight evenly throughout your buttocks and legs, all while keeping your spine aligned.
This is a reasonably priced chair that offers support for good posture and a modern stylish design.
It also has a three inch thick cushion made out of a mesh material and has 4 caster wheels for easy mobility.
The design is great for posture because it has a tilted seat and well-placed backrest that evenly distributes your weight.
It also has a strong design that supports up to 250 pounds and has an adjustable height for the seat from 21 to 31 inches.
- Modern design and tilted seat
- 250 pound weight limit
- Caster wheels
- Difficult height adjustment
- Poor user’s manual and instructions
- May not be suitable for very short people
#2 LONABR Ergonomic Kneeling Chair with Back Support
- LONABR Ergonomic Kneeling Chair Adjustable Stool for Office and Home Angled seat Improve Your Posture Thick Comfortable Cushions Black Chair with Lockable Wheel Support 220LBS
- Ergonomic Design：Hip Angle greater than 90 degrees makes the sitting posture more upright, which can help develop a good sitting posture,relieves stress on the spine and makes you more focused.
This is an affordable option for under $100 that offers great posture and a backrest.
This chair has thick cushions for the knees and bottom and has adjustable height and angle features for comfort and ergonomics.
It also has an attractive design with a breathable mesh back support. Finally, it has high quality caster wheels that promote easy mobility.
- Adjustable height and angle
- Caster wheels
- Not for very tall or bigger people
- Uncomfortable cushions
- The seat may shift slightly
#3 Varier ThatSit Balans Kneeling Chair
- The Thatsit has adjustable kneepad and a backrest, making it our most comfortable chair yet.
- It is lightweight and can easily be moved around. Variable is intended for use with standard height desks
This is a high-quality chair that is stylish and comfortable. It has rocking movement features and flexible, but durable and strong wood.
The upholstery is great and comfortable. The backrest has a comfortable and supportive concave design and the seat is properly tilted.
- Rocking motion
- High Quality materials
- Concave backrest
- More expensive than most other options
- Difficult assembly
- Not good choice for those who are heavier
#4 Perfect Perch Beautiful Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- ✔️ PERFECT POSTURE: Are you looking for the perfect chair to alleviate your back pains from sitting in regular chairs? Imagine maximizing your productivity, at home or in the office, with an ergonomic kneeling chair that aligns your entire body to its natural position. It’s time to say goodbye to back pains!
- ✔️ ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Feel the difference when you sit in this carefully crafted chair that distributes your weight to your shins and buttocks, while positioning your spine and legs at the ideal angle (110 - 125 degrees). No more slouching and over-exerting your lower back because your body naturally sits in its most comfortable posture. The extra thick (3.5 in) and dense (35 kg/m3) white PU leather cushions will provide you all the firmness and support you need!
This is a great chair with a modern, attractive look and a good quality back support. It also has comfortable handles for easy sitting and standing.
They can also be used for exercise and stretching. It has a great angle and prevents slouching with an extra thick 3.5 inch cushion.
It has an elegant black and white design (also available in red and black) and supports up to 250 pounds.
- Modern design
- Handles for accessibility or exercise
- Angled seat
- May wobble a little
- Not suitable for larger people
- Poor upholstery
#5 AOPARTS Kneeling Chair
- ❤【Improve Seat Posture】—Ergonomic kneeling chair helps to improve seat posture with suitable angle and height adjustment. The ergonomic adjustable kneeling chair could divide the burden of back and waist between the shins and the buttocks, then keeping your back upright. Good for students, white-collar workers, people with unhealthy sitting position and sedentary jobs.
- ❤【Kneel & Seat Cushion Adjustment】—Adjustable angle of kneel cushion and height of seat cushion make it meeting different height desk and people. The height ranges from 20" to 24", allowing you to find the perfect position. NOTE: The measurement is actual result.
This is a great chair for posture and comfort that has an adjustable height from 20 to 24 inches.It has a thick padded mesh upholstered seat and 360 degree swiveling ability.
It can hold up to 250 pounds and has an inclined seat for natural spine curvature.
It has a pneumatic lift for the adjustment feature and the knee pad is stylish and comfortable. It also has caster wheels for mobility.
- 360 degree swiveling ability
- Inclined seat
- Pneumatic height adjustment
- Poor caster wheels
- May not be suitable for people who are very tall
- Only adjustable from 20 to 24 inches
Final Thoughts on Kneeling Chairs with Back Support
Kneeling chairs with back support are a great option for those who want to reduce or prevent back pain.
There are several different types depending on the features that you want like adjustability, detachability, or rocking motion.
There are also some that have modern or traditional designs and options that go from under a hundred dollars all the way up to expensive, high end choices.
You are sure to find one that fits your body, budget, and style.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API