Styles come and go when it comes to office furniture, including chairs. You may not like much of the current trends as far as design goes, but another popular choice is to use accent pieces developed in the mid century modern style.
This article covers:
- The top 5 best mid century modern desk chairs and what makes them the best.
- What they are and the different types you can choose from.
- What to keep in mind when shopping around.
Let’s get started!
Best Mid Century Modern Desk Chairs
- Duhome Velvet Desk Chair with Wheels (Our Top Pick)
- Yaheetech Ergonomic Office Desk Chair Modern Mid-Century (Best Budget)
- No products found. (Best High End)
What are Mid Century Modern Desk Chairs?
Mid Century Modern is a design style based on middle-20th century furniture pieces.
There are some general characteristics of the style and even common materials.
The most prominent aspects are simple and functional design, curved lines, vibrant and muted color combinations, the use of teak, and fluctuation between natural and man made materials.
These features combine to create a desirable style that also offers comfort and function for an office.
Read More >> Best Desk Chairs with No Wheels
There are different types of desk chairs for this purpose. Some are best used sparingly or as decoration while others are comfortable, ergonomic, and functional.
Being aware of the purposes for the chairs, their uses, and the different types and forms that you can choose from can help you make a good decision for buying.
For inspiration and tips on decorating your office in the mid century modern style, check out this great in-depth guide:
What are the Different Types of Mid Century Modern Desk Chairs?
There are different types of chairs that fit into the categorical style of mid-century modern. In addition to authentic and replica options, there are subtypes as well.
There are the regular simplistic types as well as curved, reclining, ergonomic, and fabric options to consider and we covered the features of each one to help you out.
This type is the genuine mid-century modern desk chairs and has to have come from the period during the middle of the 20th century.
They can range in price, but the ones in the best shape and form the most well-known furniture companies can be quite pricey.
This is usually the type that you would only go for if you are a furniture collector or aficionado.
For most people who like the mid-century modern design style, a replica is sufficient because it fits into the aesthetic while remaining affordable.
Not only that, but some of them also have more modern design elements interspersed for more comfort and functionality.
Without compromising the attractiveness of the furniture piece.
This type is plain with a seat cushion and backrest, a frame, and maybe wheels depending on whether it is a mobile option or not.
They are nice looking, but often do not offer a lot in terms of comfort.
Still, they are popular because they are unique and fit well with a wide range of aesthetic techniques.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Pink Desk Chairs (2022 Review)
This type has a curved seat, which at first glance may look uncomfortable.
But for some people, it maintains the natural curvature of the spine, allows plenty of space without room to fidget.
And looks stylish and modern with a traditional touch intones.
This type reclines back and often comes with a footstool or ottoman in the same mid-century modern style.
They are great because they can double as a reading or leisure chair and as an office chair.
This makes it a great choice for those who work from home as well.
This is a modern ergonomic chair with lumbar support, adjustability, and other beneficial qualities, but constructed in the mid-century modern style.
Therefore, you can have the functionality of newer chairs with a style that is more fitting for some people’s preferences.
This type is made with fabric and often looks like a house chair except with an office chair design.
They often have fabric upholstery covering every aspect of the chair from the frame to the armrests.
They are made in many different colors and styles as well and can be a great choice for a casual office setting.
How Do Mid Century Modern Desk Chairs Work?
A mid-century modern office chair will work great for some people, but for others, it will not match the necessary functionality or appearance of the office.
Typically, this design style corresponds with an office in muted colors with occasional vibrant accents as well as low amounts of decoration.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Minimalist Office Chairs (2022 Review)
The office should favor functional aspects over design and decorative elements.
The colors blend well and many of the chairs work well for ergonomics too.
While they may not seem to take your health into account, the mid-century modern style places importance on comfort and functional properties.
They do take a posture, long-term sitting, support, and other factors into account if you buy from a trusted company.
What to Look for in the Best Mid Century Modern Desk Chairs?
There are some things to consider when shopping for a desk chair in the mid-century modern style to ensure that you get one that works well for your needs.
Some cheaper options can be good, but only if they are not made just to make a quick buck.
The best options will favor the style but not in a way that relinquishes the quality of the manufacturing process.
The first thing to look for after type is the material that it is made out of.
This is because the best of these desk chairs will utilize genuine materials like steel, teak, solid wood, real leather, etc.
Even the more affordable options will generally have an explanation of the materials like PU leather, steel or aluminum, and cotton depending on the style and type.
The shape of the chairs, as well as comfort levels, is critical because some are made not for prolonged sitting, but only to match aesthetics and appearances.
This is not good if you plan on using the chair for hours each day while you are working.
Make sure that the chair offers support that does not hurt your bottom and that it promotes good posture as well.
Read More >> Best Gaming Chairs for a Short Person (2022 Review)
Finally, a lot of people choose mid-century modern styled office chairs because they do not want them to match with what most others have.
However, some of the more popular brands sell mid-century modern chairs that are almost the same style so if you are looking for uniqueness.
Keep this in mind and choose one that is less popular or more difficult to copy.
Best Mid Century Modern Desk Chairs
- 🌟SMOOTH SWIVEL & ROLLING: This computer desk chair is equipped with 5 high-quality casters, which are made of high-quality materials and can run smoothly in multiple directions without making noise. When you move from one task to another, the 361-degree rotating seat also provides additional convenience.
- 🌟HEIGHT ADJUSTBLE: The seat of this task chair can be adjusted easily from 15" to 19" by pulling the control bar, which is very suitable for relaxing in a busy work day. The rolling chair can support up to 285 lbs of weight.
This rolling chair is attractive and comes in your choice of 4 velvet colors and 2 fur colors.
It is adjustable from 15 to 19 inches and can support up to 285 pounds with its 5 point base and solid frame.
Swivels and has a unique feel to it that combines modern style with mid-century elements.
Also very supportive and good for both work and leisure.
- High-quality materials
- Supportive with a 285-pound weight limit
- Color and style options
- Not as comfortable as some other alternatives (no lumbar support either)
- Doesn’t lean or rock backward
- Wheels aren’t the best quality
- 【CLEAR INSTRUCTION】: All the necessary hardware and handy tools are included in the package, one adult is required to be included in the assembling procedure. Please do not stand on the chair and be aware of the metal parts for safe usage.
- 【DURABLE & STURDY】: The seat and back of this office chair is padded with thick and bouncy foam that covered by premium faux leather. Combined with durable plywood , this computer desk chair looks simple but classic, giving the sense of contemporary design that can add natural and relaxing charms to your office.
This padded, curved ergonomic office chair is made with high-density foam and premium faux leather for a durable and classic design.
The seat cushion is extra thick for support and the round edges and curved features allow for comfortable and free movement without harming posture.
It uses a star metal base for stability and comes with 5 swivel casters as well.
- Thick high density foam cushion
- Curved design for movement and style
- Affordable price
- Scuffs easily
- Not for very tall or larger people
- No color options
#3 No products found.
No products found.
This elegant chair is made in the mid-century modern style with high-quality construction and materials.
Including genuine top grain cow leather and high-density 8-layer laminated wood.
It also has a flexible, but a strong aluminum frame that can easily support 300 pounds.
The wide armrests, memory foam cushion, and rubber shock mounts as well as the ottoman footrest make this a great choice for any purpose.
- High-quality materials included genuine leather
- Strong and can support 300 pounds
- Comes with an ottoman
- More expensive than most other options
- Difficult assembly
- [360° SWIVEL CHAIRS WITH ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT] this Porthos Home desk chair is all about freedom of movement; its adjustable height feature lets you effortlessly change its height at the push of a lever so you can be sitting comfortably at your table; the 360° swivel offers extra comfort, flexibility and mobility - priceless on a hectic day in the office
- [ERGONOMIC COMPUTER CHAIR] this piece of office furniture can be the best office chair to be sitting on, especially if you’ve to work long hours at the desk; its padded wooden seat and back is gently curved to mimic the natural curves of your body to support you in the right places; begone neck/back pain or frozen shoulders
This chair is a swivel chair with adjustable height and a curved design to fit the human frame.
It has water and stain-resistant fabric upholstery that comes in a variety of different colors. It also has an attractive base with caster wheels.
Not only does it come at a reasonable price but also comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Color options
- Fabric is stain and water-resistant
- Curved design and adjustable height
- Not made for larger people
- Upholstery may loosen over time
- Can get hot and uncomfortable in warmer environments
- #1 Rated mid century modern office chair from Laura Davidson Direct. Commercial grade construction for home or office - 2 year warranty.
- Vegan leatherette upholstery with stitched ribbing.
This chair comes in numerous colors and is durable, breathable, and comfortable.
It has removable aluminum arms, a 5 star base with rolling casters, and an adjustable height from 17 to 21 inches.
It even comes with a 2-year warranty and has a simplistic design that is easy to match with any atmosphere or aesthetic.
- Many color options
- Adjustable height and removable armrests
- Breathable upholstery that is durable and easy to clean
- May be too firm for some people
- Poor caster wheels
- No lumbar support or headrest pillow
Final Thoughts on Mid Century Modern Desk Chairs
Regardless of your desires, needs, and budget, there are options created in the mid-century modern style.
Different designs and colors can be ergonomic, attractive, and even offer special features that you may find perfect for your office or desk, whether you need a chair suited for leisure or productivity.
Last update on 2022-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API