If you’re searching for the best leather saddle chairs in 2021, then our guide can help you pinpoint the right chair for you. In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for leather-covered saddle chairs
- How to select the best leather saddle chair for your individual needs
- Some of the key features you might find in leather saddle chairs
Let’s get started!
Our Top 5 Leather Saddle Chairs
What are leather saddle chairs?
Saddle chairs are characterized by seats which are constructed in the form of equestrian saddles.
A good saddle chair guides ergonomic posture while also providing sitter comfort. Research indicates that saddle sitting can be associated with reduced musculoskeletal discomfort, and a lower ergonomic risk.
Saddle chairs may be covered with leather for both aesthetic and functional reasons.
As well as having a smart appearance, leather is tough, durable and wipes clean easily from simple spills. But don’t forget that to keep your saddle chair covers strong and smooth for years, they will need some regular leather maintenance.
Read More >> Are saddle stools good for your back?
Leather is also a luxury material with a higher price-tag than artificial leather (e.g. PU leather / pleather) or fabric.
You are more likely to find leather saddle chairs at the top end of the saddle seat market.
What are the different types of leather saddle chairs?
Any type of saddle chair could potentially be upholstered in leather.
The standard saddle chair has a saddle-shaped seat and a supporting backrest panel.
Saddle chairs may also have a split-seat design, footrest or armrest attachments, and other modification. Saddle seats may be fully adjustable, partly adjustable or non-adjustable.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Split Saddle Chairs (2021 Review)
Seat height can be altered in most models and seat width, tilt or back positioning may be adjustable in some.
The more adjustable a chair is, the more likely it is to fit different users or activities.
How do leather saddle chairs work?
The correct saddle sitting body position is the same as when riding a horse and has many benefits, activating and working the core muscles while maintaining a neutral curve in the spine
When you sit on a saddle seat made of leather or any other material, your legs should should lie on either side of the saddle rather than out in front, with a comfortable angle of roughly 135 degrees at the knees and between the thighs and abdomen.
What to look for in a leather saddle chair?
Consider your own height, weight, activities and and preferences before you buy a saddle chair of any material.
A more adjustable stool may be more comfortable for longer periods of sitting, while chairs with a tilting seat facilitate the shift between sitting and standing for those who are more active.
There are different maximum weight limits for different brands of saddle chairs. Make sure that the saddle chair you choose is safe for your size.
Men, or anyone with tailbone issues, may be more comfortable with a wider saddle width, or a split saddle.
Seats which are narrow or hard can put uncomfortable pressure on the perineal area.
If you definitely want natural rather than artificial leather upholstery, read the seller description of any saddle chair carefully, and be prepared to pay a premium.
Sometimes “leather” is used in a description and then explained as being PU leather / pleather in the detail.
If a chair is average or lower than average price, double-check the materials listed.
Best Leather Saddle Chairs Reviewed
#1 Best all-round option: HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Chair
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 22.5" – 33" with 18.5" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco's soft and wide saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
The HAG Capisco saddle chair is one of the most adjustable and ergonomic saddle chairs you will find.
Available in black, chocolate or tan leather on a black or silver base, it can accommodate forward or reverse saddle sitting.
Seat height ranges from 22.5" – 33” . Seat depth and tilt can also be adjusted, along with the height and tilt of the chair back.
The YouTube official user guide to the HAG Capisco saddle chair will tell you more about the key features and functions of this chair:
- Fully adjustable
- Backrest has built-in elbow supports
- Reverse sitting position especially useful for those with tailbone issues
- Maximum weight is only 250lb - not suitable for heavier users
#2 Best budget option: Freedom Saddle Stool by Humanscale
The award-winning ‘Freedom’ saddle stool line from from Humanscale have a generous seat width of 16” (Pony Saddle) or 22” (Saddle), at least four color options, and a choice of wheels.
Leather or a range of other cover fabrics, taller or shorter cylinders, footrest ring and further modifications can be chosen if ordered via the Humanscale website.
More limited specifications of the same stool can be found on Amazon.
- Highly customizable in terms of colors, wheels, accessories
- Locking casters give security for periods of still working
- Broad saddles
- No seat tilt function
#3 Best high end option: Salli SwingFit Saddle Seat
- Patented split-seat saddle design cools and relieves pressures for improved genital health in both women and men. Seat split size is adjustable.
- Heavy duty 3mm steel seat plate covered with high quality contouring foam and your choice of upholstery color.
Salli is a Finnish company which handcrafts its stools in Europe to a very high quality standard.
The Salli split-seat saddle has a patented design intended to support genital health. The seat is engineered from steel and padded with contouring foam.
The seat height can range 22.5”-30” with options available for shorter or taller users. Seat tilt angle and saddle width can also be adjusted.
The swing mechanism in this stool enables more active sitting by allowing you to tilt the seat in all directions for greater activation of core and back muscles.
Excellent choice of cover fabrics including leather, as well as colors, frames, and wheels to suit a range of activities and floor surfaces.
- Swing mechanism builds greater core strength
- High levels of customization offered and additional Salli accessories available online
- Ten year warranty for the seat, and five year warranty for other components
- Significantly higher price than the majority of saddle stools
#4 Good high-end option: Salli Twin Saddle Seat
- Patented split-seat saddle design cools and relieves pressures for improved genital health in both women and men.
- Heavy duty 3mm steel seat plate covered with high quality contouring foam in your choice of color leather.
Like the Salli SwingFit stool, the Salli Twin Saddle Seat has a patented split-seat saddle designed to support genital health in both women and men.
Again, the seat height adjusts between 22.5”-30” to fit users of heights from 5’1 to 6’1, and options are available for shorter or taller users.
There is a similarly wide choice of cover materials and colors available, including leather.
Options are available for frame color and caster type required for your flooring and activity.
Separate leather slip covers are available online if you wish to re-cover an existing Salli saddle seat.
- High levels of customization possible
- Handcrafted in Europe to a very high quality standard
- Ten year warranty for the seat and five year warranty for other components
- Seat width cannot be adjusted on this model
- More expensive than other brands of split saddle chair on the market
#5 Best mid-range model: Kanewell Twin Adjustable Saddle Stool with Backrest
- Improves back posture and enables virtually effortless movement about a work space
- Patented split-saddle reduces pressure points and improves airflow for a cooler and more comfortable experience, especially during longer periods of concentrated work.
This split seat saddle chair from Kanewell is a robust patented design and high-quality construction.
Top-grain leather upholstery covers resilient PU foam padding to give a durable and naturally flame-resistant finish.
Choose from three adjustable height options to suit all sizes from 4’9 up to 5’10 and taller.
Seat width and angle tilt are also adjustable and the maximum weight capacity is 250lb.
- Small, Medium or Large chair size options
- Leather covers at an affordable price
- Backrest panel can be removed
- Maximum user weight is lower than for some comparable saddle chairs
- Seat and back can only be tilted together, not separately
Final thoughts on leather saddle chair
As well as providing ergonomic and comfort benefits, a leather saddle chair can bring a touch of luxury to your home or workspace.
If you have the money available to upgrade from fabric or PU, leather can be a good long-term choice of seat covering, well worth the regular maintenance required to keep it looking at its best.
Last update on 2022-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API