If you’re interested in learning more about the best 2021 saddle stools or chairs for shorter people, then our clear and simple article can help you. In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for saddle chairs or stools for shorter people
- How to select the best saddle chair or stool if you’re shorter than average
- The most relevant factors to consider when browsing saddle seats for shorter people
Let’s get started!
Our top 5 saddle chairs and stools for shorter people
- HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Saddle Chair (Our Top Pick)
- Salli Swing Fit Saddle Seat (Best High End)
What is a saddle stool or chair?
Saddle stools and chairs support sitters on a saddle-shaped seat, in the same same posture as when riding a horse.
Core back and abdominal muscles are activated to hold the torso body and distribute weight ergonomically.
Saddle seats tend to be designed to boost good posture, regular movement and the comfort of the sitter.
Read More >> Why are saddle stools good?
At home, in the office or in a wide array of other working environments, saddle stools and chairs can be a good choice for those with sitting-related back pain or discomfort.
And those who spend long periods of time working actively from a seated position (e.g. dentists, medical workers, hairdressers).
What are the different types of saddle chair or stool?
There are a range of saddle stools and chairs with different features and functions, but the same key seat design like a horse-riding saddle.
A stool with a back panel is normally called a saddle chair. Stools or chairs may also feature a split-saddle, armrests or footrests, wheels or equipment trays and other variations.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Saddle Chairs or Stools for Taller People (2021 Review)
Saddle chairs and stools come with varying levels of adjustability. Most saddle stools can adjust seat height, with many also allowing variation in seat width or angle, or other modifications.
Shorter people should pay particular attention to the height range of a saddle stool or chair and consider this in tandem with their own height and the height of any working area (e.g. desk, lab bench, patient).
If the stool is too low or too high for their needs, this could affect comfort, safety and working efficiency.
How does a saddle chair or stool work if you’re short?
A saddle chair or stool should work for shorter people in the same way as for those of any other size as long as you have correctly adjusted the height of your seat and any working surfaces.
You may wish to review guidance on ergonomic set-up from expert or professional sources.
Depending on the overall height of the seat, you may also need to consider how you will safely mount and dismount the stool or chair.
When sitting on a saddle seat your legs should normally be on either side of the saddle with angles of around 135 degrees at knee and thigh joints. Feet should be firmly on the floor, or placed on a footrest ring.
What to look for in a saddle stool or chair for shorter people?
As a shorter person, check the height range of any saddle chair or stool carefully to make sure you will be able to reach all necessary work surfaces and maintain the correct saddle sitting posture.
You may need a shorter than standard saddle stool if using a standing desk, or a taller saddle stool with a footrest to reach a high working surface.
Some brands offer models or modifications specifically aimed at those outside the average height range (e.g. different sizes of riser cylinder).
Others offer a wide range of height adjustability within a single stool. Beyond height, you should also consider your weight, sitting activities and style or comfort preferences.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Saddle Stools (2021 Review)
For example, a seat tilt option can facilitate shifting often from sitting to standing. A wider saddle may provide greater comfort if you have a broader body.
Split saddle stools or chairs exert less pressure on the perineal or pubic area and are sometimes preferred by men and anyone with tailbone injuries.
Remember that maximum weight capacity varies between brands and models. Different wheels or stationary caps suit different floor surfaces or activities so also pay attention to this.
Best Saddle Stools and Chairs for Shorter People Reviewed
#1 Best all round option: HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Saddle Chair
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 22.5" – 33" with 18.5" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco's soft and wide saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
Extremely adjustable and highly ergonomic, the HAG Capisco saddle chair has a generous seat height range from 22.5" – 33”, intended to suit short, average and tall users alike.
Two shorter lift cylinders are available to lower the chair further if needed. Footrest ring can be purchased. Seat height, depth and tilt are adjustable, as are back height and tilt.
You can view a video user guide on YouTube for HAG Capisco saddle chair features and functions:
- Fully adjustable
- Wide range of color, fabric and frame options
- Allows forward, sideways or reversed sitting position
- Not suitable for heavier users - maximum weight capacity of 250lb
- High price compared to many other saddle chairs
#2 Best budget option: Master Massage Berkeley Ergonomic Split Style Saddle Stool
- Size: 15.7’X 15’x21”-28”(l x W x H)
- Seat height adjustment from：21”-28”
The Master Massage split-seat saddle stool has an adjustable seat height of 21”-28”, with a seat tilt function not found in all comparable models at this price point.
Saddle padding is made from small-cell foam moulded to seat contours, with PU leather covers.
- Both height adjustment and seat tilt function
- Split saddle may make this model particularly comfortable for some shorter men
- High weight safety rating of up to 660lb - good for heavier users
- Only available in one color - royal blue
- Some user reports of broken parts or low construction quality
#3 Best high end option: Salli Swing Fit Saddle Seat
- Patented split-seat saddle design cools and relieves pressures for improved genital health in both women and men. Seat split size is adjustable.
- Heavy duty 3mm steel seat plate covered with high quality contouring foam and your choice of upholstery color.
The Salli SwingFit stool has all the adjustment and customization options you would expect at this price.
In the standard stool, seat height varies from 22.5” to 30” to fit heights 5’1 to 6’1. A short seat pole option is available for heights 4’ to 5’1.
Adjustable saddle width and tilt. Inbuilt swing mechanism allows 360 degree tilt for extra core muscle activation and active sitting.
- Designed and handcrafted to a very high quality standard in Europe
- Excellent levels of adjustability, customization and additional accessories available
- Ten year warranty for the seat and five year warranty for other components
- One of the most expensive split saddle or standard saddle stools or chairs on the market
- The swing fit mechanism may take longer to get used to than using a standard saddle seat
#4 Best active sitting option: Varier Move Tilting Saddle Stool
- The original Tilting Saddle Stool designed by Per Die in 1985
- Perfect match for a height-adjustable table
Varier’s Norway-designed and Europe-produced NEAT certified tilting saddle stool can be used for standing, leaning or sitting at a desk or other work surface.
With use of the seat raising resting heart rate by at least 10%.
Seat height is adjustable from 22” - 32.25” to suit all heights.
- Encourages active sitting while strengthening core and back muscles
- Generous height adjustment range of more than 10 inches
- Simple tool-free assembly from three parts
- No wheels
- Not all users find a tilting saddle stool comfortable
#5 Best USA-produced option: Perch Saddle Stool with Back
- FOR WOOD, CERAMIC OR TILE FLOORS A quarter inch glossy rubberized coating encompasses the wheel perimeter of our HARD FLOOR CASTERS, allowing this height adjustable chair to roll on hardwood, ceramic, and tile floors without scratching or damaging the floor’s surface.
- Back: Adjustable back 15.5"w x 9"h for added support. Adjusts up, down, forward and back. Seat: Form-fitting saddle style seat that takes your weight while allowing you to stay on your feet.
The Perch saddle chair has a generous height range of 25”-34.5” to suit most heights. Seat and back panel can both be raised and tilted as required.
A footrest ring can be purchased to fit this chair. Choice of two wheel options or stationery caps.
- Highly adjustable for a chair at this price
- 12-Year workmanship warranty, and lifetime guarantee on the cylinders
- Locally produced by a family firm based in Colorado, USA
- Only available in one color - black
- High Amazon product rating (4.6/5) but only five global reviews so far
Final thoughts on saddle stools and chairs for shorter people
Saddle stools or chairs can be a useful tool for active sitting and promoting a healthy and ergonomic sitting position.
There are a number of highly rated saddle seats on the market which are particularly suitable for shorter users.
Look out for chairs offering a good range of seat height adjustment and the possibility to add a footrest ring.
If you’re below average height and want to sit in a healthy and comfortable posture, a saddle seat could well be the right choice for you.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API