If you’d like to know more about the best saddle chairs with backrests in 2021, then our guide can help you find the saddle chair you’re looking for. In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for saddle chairs with a backrest
- How to select the best saddle chairs with backrests which meet individual requirements
- Some of the main features and functions you will find in saddle chairs with backrests
Let’s get started!
Our top 5 saddle chairs with backrests
What are saddle chairs with backrests?
Saddle chairs with backrests have seats designed like horse-riding saddles, and you sit on these as though you were riding a horse.
A good saddle chair should guide the sitter into an ergonomic posture while also providing sitter comfort.
The saddle sitting posture has many benefits, activating your core muscles and supporting the neutral, natural ’S’ curve of the spine.
Read More >> Are saddle stools comfortable?
Research focusing on professions who commonly use saddle chairs for active sitting (e.g. dentists, beauticians, artists) indicates that saddle sitting may be associated with reduced musculoskeletal discomfort, and a lower ergonomic risk when compared to other ergonomic seats.
What are the different types of saddle chair with backrests?
A standard saddle chair model consists of a saddle shaped seat with a supporting back panel.
There are also saddle chairs with a double-saddle split seat design, arm or foot rests, and other variations.
Saddle chair may be fully adjustable, partly adjustable or non-adjustable, depending on the particular model. Seat height can generally be varied.
Seat width, back position or tilt may also be modified in some chairs. More adjustable saddle chairs may be suitable for a wider range of users and activities.
How do saddle chairs with backrests work?
When you sit on a saddle seat, your posture should be the same as when sitting on a horse, with legs placed on each side of the saddle rather than out in front.
There should be a roughly 45 degree bend at the knee, rather than the perpendicular leg position used in sitting on conventional chairs.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Ergonomic Saddle Chairs
For working in an office, salon, clinical setting etc.. follow relevant guidance on ergonomic set-up from reliable expert sources when setting up your work area and saddle chair.
What to look for in the best saddle chairs with backrests?
Measure and factor in your own height, weight, sitting activities and and personal preferences before choosing an saddle chairs with backrest.
A more adjustable stool may be more comfortable for longer periods of sitting.
There are different maximum weight limits for different brands of saddle chairs with backrest. Make sure that the saddle chair you choose is safe for your size.
Chairs with a tilting saddle can better facilitate the shift from sitting to standing and may be a better choice for those moving around frequently while working.
Read More >> Why are saddle stools good?
Men may find a broader saddle or a split saddle chair more comfortable and suited to their anatomy.
Hard and narrower seats can put uncomfortable pressure on the perineal area for some users.
Best Saddle Chairs with Backrests Reviewed
#1 Best all-round option: Perch Saddle Stool with Back
- FOR WOOD, CERAMIC OR TILE FLOORS A quarter inch glossy rubberized coating encompasses the wheel perimeter of our HARD FLOOR CASTERS, allowing this height adjustable chair to roll on hardwood, ceramic, and tile floors without scratching or damaging the floor’s surface.
- Back: Adjustable back 15.5"w x 9"h for added support. Adjusts up, down, forward and back. Seat: Form-fitting saddle style seat that takes your weight while allowing you to stay on your feet.
This Perch saddle chair has a generous height range of 25”-34.5" with a smooth pneumatic raising mechanism and maximum weight limit of 300lb.
Broad saddle seat width of 17”. A footrest ring can be purchased separately if needed. Option to choose rolling casters for hard or soft floors, or stationery caps
- Highly adjustable - seat and back can be both raised and tilted to suit your needs
- 12-Year workmanship warranty, with a lifetime guarantee on the cylinders
- Locally produced by a family firm based in Colorado, USA
- High Amazon product rating (4.6/5) but only five global reviews so far
#2 Best budget option: Kaleurrier Ergonomic Saddle Stool
- Saddle stool designed with ergonomic seat and back rest to encourage better posture & save your back and spine. The design is much more comfortable and relaxing than normal stool chairs.
- Heavy duty stool made of high quality materials, well constructed, sturdy and durable. Can support 400 lbs. max weight.Stool chair with anti-exploding iron plate guarantees the safety of seat.
The rolling ergonomic saddle stool with backrest from Kaleurrier offers all the most essential saddle chair features at under $150.
Comfortable padding in black PU covers, with height adjustable from 22” to 30” on a smooth hydraulic rising mechanism.
Saddle dimensions of 14” X 16”, broad backrest of 17.5" and upper weight limit of 400lb.
- Good price
- Easy to assemble
- Reviews indicate excellent customer service in case of issues with the chair
- This model has no tilt function, unlike some of the other saddle chairs from Kaleurrier
#3 Best high end option: HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Saddle Chair
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 22.5" – 33" with 18.5" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco's soft and wide saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
This fully adjustable saddle chair from HAG Capisco allows you to customize the seat to your body and sitting position preferences with a range of seat heights, seat depths, back heights and tilts.
Seat height ranges from 22.5" – 33”. Chair design allows backward sitting which can work well for those with tailbone problems.
Available in seven colors on a choice of black, white or silver frame. 50% recycled materials, and 90% recyclable.
The user guide to the functions and features of HAG Capisco saddle chairs can be viewed on the manufacturer’s YouTube channel:
- Fully adjustable for maximum comfort and ergonomic sitting position
- Award-winning design also allows for a reversed sitting position
- Backrest includes elbow supports for additional arm comfort
- Not suitable for heavier users - maximum weight limit only 250lb
#4 Best option for active sitting: HAG Capisco Puls Adjustable Standing Desk Chair
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 21.5" – 30" with 15.75" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco Puls Plus fully cushioned and narrow saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
The second HAG Capisco saddle chair in our list comes in at a slightly lower price point. Again, the seat height and depth, back height and back tilt are all fully adjustable for maximum ergonomic positioning and comfort.
Seat height ranges from 21.5" – 30” with a narrower but still fully cushioned seat.
With options to sit forwards, backwards or sideways, and ease of shifting from sitting to standing, the HAG Capisco Puls encourages movement.
Made from 24% recycled material, and 95% recyclable.
- Fully adjustable to suit your body
- Award-winning design also allows for reversed or sideways sitting position
- Backrest with integrated elbow supports for additional arm comfort
- Not suitable for heavier users - maximum weight limit only 250lb
- Narrower seat than the HAG Capisco - may be less comfortable for larger users
#5 Best heavy duty model: FRNIAMC Heavy-duty Rolling Saddle Chair
- Save Your Back From Painful- The ergonomic "saddle" shape seat design corrects your posture to be straight and upright thus reducing the stress of neck and back, provide extra comfort for long-hours sitting works
- Seat Height Adjustable-The stool chair height overall 20-29.5'', taller than most other saddle chairs
Available in dark grey or black, this FRNIAMC saddle chair can be adjusted for seat heights of 20-29.5’’ and has a tilting backrest. 15” wide saddle and suitable for weights up to 450lb.
- Reasonable price
- High maximum weight of 450lb - more suitable for heavier users than comparable chairs
- Quiet PU wheels
- No seat tilt function
- Some reviewers reported receiving and returning damaged or defective products
Final thoughts on saddle chairs with backrests
Whether you wish to maintain a healthy posture, relieve existing back pains, or simply sit more actively, a saddle chair with a backrest can be an excellent option for your workplace or home environment.
There is a good assortment of saddle chairs with back rests on the market and with a bit of research, you should be able to find the right saddle chair for your needs.
Last update on 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API