Interested in learning about the best tall desks? In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for tall desks
- How to pick a tall desk suitable for your height and needs
- Features to consider and options you can choose from when buying a new tall desk
Let’s get started!
Our Top 5 Tall Desks
What Are Tall Desks?
Tall desks are the ideal working surface for people of above average height or those who just prefer more legroom when working at a desk.
They can also be useful for installing more storage underneath your desk. A tall desk could come in handy if you have high drawers or shelves that don’t fit well under a standard desk.
In some cases, a tall desk may be chosen to suit the proportions of a particular room in terms of window view or sitting above a radiator or other immovable wall feature.
What Are The Different Types of Tall Desk?
A tall desk is simply a desk whose working surface is higher than the average of around 29”. Tall people, or those who wish to stand while working, may need a desk above this average height.
Tall desks may have at least one movable surface which you can raise or lower to adjust height, either through electric power or by hand. They may switch function between a sitting desk and a standing desk.
Fully adjustable tall desks allow you to personalize the height of your work surface, or to move between different heights for different people or different activities.
The shape and length of a tall desk can vary to match different tastes and available space, including simple rectangles, L-shaped or rounded shapes. They may come with or without storage or a computer stand
Read More >> Top 5 Best L-Shaped Standing Desks? (2021 Review)
How Does a Tall Desk Work?
At a basic tall desk, you simply adjust your chair and computer equipment to a suitable position and begin working. With adjustable tall desks, you must first find the optimum height for your desk and/or chair in order to minimize strain on your back, neck and eyes.
Electric adjustable desks will have a motor which raises and lowers the desk surface. Non-electric adjustable desks may be raised and lowered by sliding or using a cranking mechanism.
When setting up your tall desk as a workstation sure you follow guidance on ergonomic desk set-up from credible expert or official sources.
You can view a range of tall desks in action on the YouTube Channel for UPLIFT Desks, the makers of this guide’s top recommended tall desk:
What to Look For In The Best Tall Desk?
With working from home increasingly popular in the USA now compared to the pre-COVID-19 era, this could be the right time to invest in a new tall desk.
Measure the size of your available space carefully and select a tall desk with dimensions to match.
Your own height, leg length and computer size are also relevant and should be factored in. Picking the right desk will help keep your body comfortable and in good condition.
Best Tall Desks Reviewed
#1 UPLIFT V2 Desk with Bamboo Worktop (Best all-round option)
The Uplift Desk is our top pick for a reason, it is fully adjustable via a one-touch keypad, the height of this disk can be adjusted all the way from 24.3" to 49.9".
The keypad allows you to program various heights, lock your keypad, set max and min heights, and more, which accommodates all user heights, and all user sitting / standing preferences.
This desk has dual motors which give a fast, smooth transition between heights, while a wire management tray keeps things tidy. The desktop comes in sustainable bamboo and a range of other woods and laminates, as well as four different lengths.
- Fully adjustable
- Electric powered
- Thick solid bamboo
- Wire management
- Subject to errors or malfunctions (warranty available)
#2 HOMCOM Double Desk with Open Shelves (Best budget option)
- SITTING AND STANDING: Taller table for standing and lower table for sitting, so that you can switch position easily and quickly
- LARGE WORKING SPACE: Featuring a 7.2 ft tabletop length that offers you a large working surface. You can freely move your legs to relieve stress after a long period of work or study
This desk has a modern, straightforward design with a dual-level surface, the taller table for standing and lower table for sitting, which allow you to switch position easily and quickly, it could also be used by two people.
There isn't much adjustability to this desk because it has no moving or electrical parts, it comes in standard heights, 37.5" for the tall table, and 29.5" for the lower, but it does have plenty of shelf storage space and a great price.
Although both desk surfaces are above average height, the under-desk shelving may limit how far some long-legged people can stretch out under the desk. Height is not adjustable and when sitting at the higher level, a taller chair or stool may be required.
- Easily switch between standing and sitting
- Plenty of desktop space and shelf storage
- Durable material and great price
- A different chair is required to be able to set on the higher table
- Limited under desk space for tall people
#3 Standing Desk Company Triple Motor L-shaped desk (Best high end option)
- Programmable electric height adjustment recalls your favorite settings with a single push of a button
- Triple motors increase weight capacity; 3-stage telescoping legs provide an extended height adjustment range to accommodate shorter and taller users
If you are looking for a high-end option, this desk height is fully adjustable at the touch of a button, allowing for different users and activities, as well as easily accommodating taller workers who might struggle to place their legs comfortably at standard desks.
The L-shaped design allows plenty of working surface space for those who need to accommodate multiple devices, books or other work items, the height can b adjusted from 25" to 50.5".
this electric-powered L-shaped standing desk is amongst the more expensive of its kind, it has triple motors and an electric height adjustment button that recalls your favorite settings, but costs significantly more than similar non-electric options.
- Fully adjustable heights
- Smooth transition
- Recalls favorite settings
- Plenty of desktop space (L-Shaped)
- subject to malfunction or error (Warranty available)
#4 Sauder Harbor View Lift Top Desk, Salt Oak finish (Best traditional desk)
- Get the improved health benefits and increased productivity with the lift-top desk
- Partial top lifts up and forward to create versatile work options of sitting or standing
Sauder Harbor is the perfect classic desk appearance and solid engineered wood construction. This desk allow you to explore both options of sitting and standing with the lift-top desk.
It has great storage space, with 2 drawers and an open shelf for storage of miscellaneous items, as well as hidden storage beneath the top for any clutter. This desk also has a spacious 50” working surface.
Desk area which can be raised from 30.8” up to 40” to allow use as a standing desk. The desk height can only be varied between two set positions, which means that you will have to adjust your chair height to fully personalize the working set-up.
- Spacious working surface
- Great storage space
- Sustainable material
- Not very adjustable
- Requires some chair modification for a personalized experience
#5 UNICOO - Crank Adjustable Height Desk (Best hand-adjusted option)
- STABLE AND SEAMLESS MOVEMENT: Easily adjusts from sit to standing with a smooth crank adjustment from 29.5" – 45.2".
- INSTALL CRANK EITHER SIDE: Adjusts with a pull-out crank, crank can be installed on the left or right as your habits
This UNICOO desk is fully adjustable from 29.5" to 45.2" via a hand-operated crank mechanism, the crank can be installed on either side of the desk and folded in when not in use, the height adjustability gives you the comfort of switching to sitting or standing.
It has a sturdy construction and it is reportedly easy to assemble, even at its lowest level this desk is slightly above average desk height, the desk has a great work surface that has anti-scratch material and the frame is constructed of durable steel.
- Fully adjustable via a crank
- Sustainable material
- Easy to assemble
- A crank means it could take some effort and time to change between heights
- No storage space or drawers
Final thoughts on Best tall desks
Whatever your requirements for a tall desk in your office or home, there’s plenty of great options out there to meet your needs.
Whichever one you choose, remember that adjusting your desk setup correctly could boost your efficiency, comfort and health.
Last update on 2022-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API