An under desk elliptical can be a great way to add exercise into your daily routine. However, a lot of us do not have a lot of space in our work area for heavy or large elliptical machines.
This article will cover
- The top 5 best compact under desk ellipticals
- The types and how they work
- What to look for before you purchase one
Let’s get started!
Best Compact Under Desk Ellipticals
- Fast88 Electric Desk Elliptical Machine (Our Top Pick)
- IDEER LIFE Under Desk Elliptical Machine (Best Budget)
- ORBITREK MX - Seated Under Desk Elliptical Machine (Best High End)
What are Compact Under Desk Ellipticals?
Under desk ellipticals are supposed to easily fit underneath a desk, but that does not mean that they will fit underneath any desk.
Some under desk ellipticals are bulky, heavy, and have a range of motion that is not suitable for smaller desk spaces.
Compact under desk ellipticals are the solution for people who want one of these to improve their overall health, but only have enough room for a small one.
They either have smaller pedals, a smaller flywheel and mechanism, or both.
A lot of smaller options are also designed for mobility. This means that they are lightweight and some may even fold up. This is good for those who want a compact option because they are low on storage space.
Some even have handles so that you can easily transport them wherever you go.
Check out this video for some great exercises that you can do with a mini under desk elliptical!
What Are the Different Types of Compact Under Desk Ellipticals?
There are a few different options as far as the type of mini under desk elliptical that you want.
There are the traditional and sitting/standing ellipticals, but there are also foldable options and mobile options.
Traditional Under Desk Ellipticals
This is the standard type of compact under desk elliptical. It can provide a great workout by allowing you to move your legs while you sit.
They often use a flywheel for the motion and have two pedals for your feet. They may even have a monitor that can help you keep track of your exercise statistics.
Whereas the traditional ellipticals are only used while sitting, this type can also be used to workout while you stand at your desk.
Standing can help you benefit even more from the use of the under desk elliptical. They are often more stable than other options, but may have a stability bar that makes them slightly less compact.
A lot of compact elliptical devices have a knob so that you can increase the resistance. This is great for those who want a more difficult workout.
It can also be good if you plan on sharing your machine with someone else because both of you may not be comfortable with the same amount of resistance.
This is a type that is lighter than others so that it is easy to transport. They are also typically very compact so that they can easily fit in the car or a closet.
This is a great option if you want to travel with your elliptical. They also usually have handles so that you can easily carry it around.
These types can fold up when they are not in use. They may be lightweight and have handles as well.
This is great for people who do not necessarily want to transport it far, but do not have very much storage space.
How Do Compact Under Desk Ellipticals Work?
Ellipticals work by allowing you to move your legs without putting too much strain or pressure on your joints.
They offer a similar motion to your natural walking stride and can help you burn calories and tone your legs.
All under desk ellipticals are small enough to fit underneath larger desks. However, mini or compact under desk ellipticals make an even better use of the space.
Generally, they will have a thinner flywheel mechanism that will reduce the width. They will also likely also have shorter stability bars for the same reasons.
Read More >>Top 5 Best Elliptical Desks
Sometimes they will have smaller foot pedals as well. This can reduce the width even more.
Then, they may be shorter or foldable in order to make them easier too. It is important to note that they cannot be too short or small because the pedals have to accommodate your feet and it also needs to be able to work with your natural motion.
What to Look for in the Best Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors?
There are some important things that you need to consider to make sure that the mini elliptical that you buy will work for the space that you have available.
First, you need to make sure that the one you choose is compact for your needs whether that is for the space underneath your desk or the amount of storage space you have available.
The width is an important consideration.
If you work in a small area like a cubicle then you will want to make sure that the elliptical machine will not make your legs too wide. In addition, you do not want the bar to be in the way of the legs of the desk.
If you plan on storing the elliptical in a small area, then you may want to consider the foldable option. This can allow you to use it and then make it more compact whenever you do not need it.
The length may also be important because some desks can only fit legs when you are working. If this is the case, buying one of the smaller size mini ellipticals is your best bet because then they can accommodate both your legs.
The pedal size is a consideration you do not want to take lightly. This is because you need the pedals to hold your feet comfortably.
However, you do not want them to be too large and take up too much space that you may not even have to begin with.
Finally, if you are looking for a compact elliptical because you want to transport it, you need to think about whether you want one that has a handle.
You should also check the weight to make sure that it will not be too heavy for you to easily move around.
Read More >> Ergonomics in the Workplace [Ultimate Guide]
Best Compact Under Desk Ellipticals
- The LED Built-in Display Monitor which keeps track time, distance, scan, speed, calories burned.
- Depending on your needs and abilities, there are Auto (P1-P3) and Manual (5-levels speed) for your choice.
This is a great option if you are really low on space because of the compact design and beneficial, yet not too large, elliptical motion.
It has different speed options and a monitor that tracks distance, speed, and more. It is mobile and lightweight with a smooth, quiet mechanism.
- Very compact
- Quiet, smooth mechanism
- Short cord
- Small pedals
- May slide on hard floors
- 【8 LEVELS MAGNETIC RESISTANCE】The magnetic resistance offers you full control. From relaxation to high-intensity exercise, users can easily adjust to different resistance according to their own need. It's perfect for starters or professional atheletes. The low profile and wide base prevents you from rocking back and forth or hitting your knee while exercising under a desk.
- 【SMOOTH AND SUPER QUITE】The unique magnetic brake mechanism and the large rollerblade wheels ensure a super smooth and quiet pedal movement, allowing you to do exercise when working at office or watching TV at home without disturbing anyone around.
This elliptical machine is built way, but still affordable.
It has 8 resistance levels so that you can control the intensity of your workout and has a monitor that can display 6 different statistics.
The pedals have an anti-slip rubber surface and straps to hold you feet steady.
- Small range of motion (may be good for small areas)
- Small pedals
- Sit and Get Moving: The small compact style allows you to exercise while you read, watch TV, talk on the phone and more all why burning calories and enjoying your workout!
This is a fantastic device despite the higher price tag. It is compact and has different speed levels that can be changed with a remote.
It has anti-slip pedals and a good range of motion. The monitor is high quality with buttons of its own. The device is durable and has a smooth and quiet mechanism.
- Smooth and quiet
- Remote operable
- Stylish design
- More expensive than other options
- Bulkier than some others
- ALL-IN-ONE-WORKOUT STATION –With the NS-1009, avoid switching between workout stations to train your upper and lower body simultaneously. This equipment works as stepper as well as mini elliptical while the resistance tubes provide upper body workouts
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE LEVER – Designed for fitness enthusiasts of all skill levels, this step machine comes with lever for turning the resistance up and down, so you can tailor your training to your fitness level and strengthen different muscle groups.
This is a great affordable option that is comfortable, but fits in small spaces easily. Not only that, but it can work for both sitting and standing positions.
It has adjustable resistance and comes with resistance bands to work out your upper body as well. The monitor will track your strides per minute and calories burnt.
- Resistance knob and resistance bands
- No heavy resistance
- Small movement area (good for compact areas though)
- MULTI-TASK: Our premium quality under desk elliptical machine can help you burn calories, boost your energy level, increase productivity and reduce stress as you work
- MAGNETIC RESISTANCE: This compact elliptical exercise machine has ultra-smooth magnetic resistance, a superior flywheel and a sturdy base. It's whisper quiet, so you'll never bother those around you
This product has a smooth, comfortable motion and has a quiet mechanism with resistance.
It also has a monitor that displays RPM, time, calories burnt and more. The pedals are large and it has frontward and backward pedaling options.
- Large pedals
- Bulkier than other options
- Low quality pedals
Final Thoughts on Compact Under Desk Ellipticals
You can find a high-quality under desk elliptical even if you do not have a lot of space under your desk to use it.
There are tons of options depending on what you are looking for. There are some that offer a larger range of motion and others that are lighter and more mobile.
Some are more compact than others, but most will work underneath even the smallest desks or in smaller size work areas.
Last update on 2021-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API