Interested in learning about the best elliptical desks?
In this product review guide, I will go over some of the best elliptical desks of 2021.
If you sit at a desk all day, chances are you don’t find much time to get up, let alone get much exercise.
With an elliptical desk, you can stay active while staying productive.
In this review, you’ll learn about:
- What is an elliptical desk?
- Functions to consider when deciding which elliptical desk is right for you
- Why this is a great way to stay active, but not the only way
Let’s get started!
Our Top 5 Elliptical Desks
What Are Elliptical Desks?
An elliptical desk is a small machine that fits completely under your desk or can be the whole desk.
If you live a mostly sedentary life, elliptical desks are a great answer to keep you moving while you work, study or even watch TV.
Read More >> Top Best Standing Desk Exercises
An elliptical desk can also be a benefit when used with interval training.
Though in general, an elliptical desk is an easy way to keep you moving while you’re stationary.
Studies have shown that staying active improves strength, lowers the risk of falls, helps you sleep better, controls your blood pressure and reduces stress.
Among other things, staying active has dozens of benefits. An elliptical desk can help you to reach your activity goals and live a healthier lifestyle.
What Are The Different Types of Elliptical Desks?
There are a few different types of elliptical desks depending on your needs and space.
The main elliptical desk that most people tend to use would be an under the desk elliptical as it’s compact, easily moveable and doesn’t take up a lot of space.
Another type would be a full desk that looks more like a bicycle and your laptop sits on a tray that it attached to the elliptical.
This one is less common, but might be a good fit if you’re looking for a dedicated space.
Another option would be a sitting elliptical.
This is a seat with an elliptical attached to it. The seat aligns with your desk like a regular chair, instead of going under the desk.
Read More >> Best Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals (2022 Review)
How Do Elliptical Desks Work?
Elliptical desks are one of the simplest ways to stay active while you’re stationary.
Instead of standing on a dedicated large elliptical that takes up a lot of space, you can workout anywhere with an elliptical desk.
Generally a full sized elliptical is a large machine that offers a full body workout.
In the case of an elliptical desk, it’s been shrunk down for everyday convenience to offer another way to stay active.
Ellipticals generally have speeds which can be set to as subtle as going for a leisurely walk around the neighborhood to an extreme workout.
What to Look For In The Best Elliptical Desk?
There are several factors to consider when looking for an elliptical desk.
The first thing to look for would be budget. How much are you able to spend on an elliptical desk?
There are elliptical desks that will fit a wide range of budgets.
How much space do you have?
While there are some full size elliptical desks, they can take up a lot of space.
An under the desk elliptical might be the best option for you. Just depends on where you work and how much space you have.
When thinking about space, don’t forget to account for the size of your desk; your knees could be hitting your desk as you move.
Try to pretend using an elliptical under your desk to see if it’ll work for you.
Another consideration is noise. Not all elliptical desks are created the same. Some are much louder than others.
If you work from home, the sound may not be a huge issue (that is, if it doesn’t bother you), but it could be an issue if you work in an office.
These days you’ll find that most elliptical desks are quiet, however, there are still some on the market that are a bit noisy.
If you’re planning to move the elliptical around, you may want to look for a lightweight elliptical. Some ellipticals will be lighter than others and have better handles.
If you want to use it while standing or sitting,
make sure to purchase an elliptical that can do either. Most ellipticals can only be used while sitting, though there are several brands that allow for both sitting and standing.
What other features would you want out of an elliptical desk?
Some ellipticals will keep track of time, distance, calories and more and depending on your age range and your flexibility & athletic experience you can shop for an elliptical desk that fits your specific needs.
You may even want that data dent directly to your phone via bluetooth to store and compare them at a later date.
Think about your overall needs, space and budget to determine what you need and which you can live without.
Best Elliptical Desks Reviewed
- BOOST YOUR FITNESS - our professionally designed under desk bike can help you burn calories, decrease stress, tone your legs and improve your mood - all while sitting! Just use the bike to pedal at your desk or while relaxing at home.
- BONUS FEATURES - we added many free add ons to our elliptical - enjoy the yoga mat and resistance band for your workouts. Use the castor stoppers to stop your chair from moving while pedaling or use the tether to secure the elliptical to your chair. It even has batteries included!
LifePro offers a budget friendly, compact elliptical that fits under the desk or wherever you need it to go.
This is a truly portable elliptical that weighs 26.5 pounds with a built-in handle. There’s no electricity required, it’s powered by you!
However, it does have an LCD display that takes 2 AAA batteries. The LCD display allows you to check your progress, shows total strides, distance traveled, calories burned and duration of workout.
With wide pedals and a non-slip rubber surface, you’ll keep a consistent stride. It also offers 8 levels of adjustable tension.
One of the best features is the sound; it’s extremely quiet. If you plan to use this in an office setting, your office mates probably would never know you were working out while working!
- Pros: Quiet, portable, budget friendly
- Cons: Cannot be used while standing, the display isn’t lighted, might slip around on a bare floor
- DESK EXERCISE COMPACT ELLIPTICAL - Designed with ultra-smooth gearing and a compact design, Cubii home ellipticals are ideal for exercising at home or the office without stressing your joints!
- SET & TRACK FITNESS GOALS - The Cubii mobile app syncs with iPhone and Android cellphones, Fitbit smart bands, and Apple Health Kit to track your distance pedaled, calories burnt, and more.
Cubii is one of the top brands on the market. It’s a high quality elliptical with a lot of trust behind the brand.
Cubii offers a bluetooth sync so you can track all your progress through an app either on your phone or on your smart watch.
In fact, they are the only elliptical that is bluetooth enabled.
One of the best features is how quiet it is so you won’t disturb your work neighbors or sleeping babies.
Cubii is designed to be low impact and so it becomes an unconscious act of activity.
It’s portable and weighs 32 pounds.
- Pros: Bluetooth, quiet, portable
- Cons: Must be charged, can be overcharged
- DUAL MODE ELLIPTICAL: Combine the benefits of an mini elliptical and a stair stepper with this under desk exercise machine. Features adjustable resistance and an LCD monitor to track workout data. Designed for both standing and sitting workouts.
- LCD MONITOR: The digital monitor can track calories, RPM, stride, time, and distance during exercise. Accomplish exercise goals by tracking your training data.
While some under the desk ellipticals can only be used while sitting, the PERLECARE can be used while sitting or standing, which can be a huge benefit.
It has an LCD display that tracks your calories, stride length, time and distance.
The pedals are slip resistant and also have pads on the bottom to prevent movement on any surface.
It’s whisper quiet, portable and offers an easy to grab handle.
- Pros: Quiet, anti-slip bottom, use while standing or sitting
- Cons: No light on LED display, no Bluetooth
- Tiktok Viral Desk Bike: Liked by 2 Million People on Tiktok
- An ideal machine to help safeguard your health and stay in shape when working from home
While this says it’s an under the desk bike, this is actually a sitting bike. You would use this in place of your chair.
Though it’s an entire system that you sit on while you peddle, it doesn’t take up any more room than a regular chair.
In fact, the compact design could even be pushed underneath certain desks when not in use.
It has wheels on the bottom so it can easily be moved as needed. The seat can also be adjusted to your desired height.
It’s whisper quiet with 8 resistance levels. The LCD display allows you to track time, distance, calories burned and so on.
- Pros: Quiet, wheels, comfortable seat
- Cons: Wheels don’t lock, could be too bulky for some situations
- WORKS FOR MOST DESKS: The lowest pedal height is under 8 inches pedal rotation height and can work under desks as low as 25 inches.
- QUIET & SMOOTH: Smooth and whisper quiet bicycle pedal motion with balanced flywheel and twin belt drive that let you work without additional office noises. Less noise helps you focus more on work than the exercise itself.
This elliptical has a low pedal height of about 8 inches, which means that you can easily pedal under desks as low as 25 inches.
This one has a digital display that mounts to the cycle or it can detach to look at it on your desk.
The display information like time, distance, calories burned and even lifetime distance.
The FitDesk has 8 resistance settings which can be controlled with your foot, so it’s a hands free tension adjustment.
Lastly, it’s whisper quiet.
- Pros: Low pedal height, hands free tension adjustment, detachable display
- Cons: No handle, no Bluetooth
Final Thoughts On Elliptical Desks
An elliptical desk is a great way to stay active while we live mostly sedentary lives.
It can be used in almost any situation in which you’re sitting or even standing for long periods of time.
An elliptical desk isn’t the end-all-be-all answer to exercise, though.
It’s a great way to keep active in an otherwise inactive setting, but it won’t help you to lose a ton of weight and should be combined with other workout methods if weight loss is a priority.
The goal of an elliptical desk is to get in some extra movement during your day and it does exactly that!
Last update on 2022-06-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API