It can be hard to free up enough time to workout regularly and it is hard to lose weight without exercise.
However, you can use an under desk elliptical machine to shed those pounds while you continue to work throughout the day.
This article will include
- The best elliptical machines for weight loss
- How they can work for you
- What to look for in the best options
Best Under Desk Ellipticals for Weight Loss
- DeskCycle Ellipse: Under Desk Elliptical Machine (Our Top Pick)
- Stamina 55-1602 Inmotion Elliptical(Best Budget)
- Cubii Pro Seated Under Desk Elliptical Machine (Best High End)
What are Under Desk Ellipticals for Weight Loss?
A standing desk may reduce the amount of time you spend sitting, but it does not burn very many more calories than sitting.
However, you can add an under desk elliptical to your desk setup to exercise and burn additional calories and fat while you work.
An under desk elliptical device is compact and lightweight so they are easy to place under your desk. They work by moving your legs in an elliptical shape which is a long oval.
This can be great for working out your legs and getting a cardio workout without having to use up your valuable personal time. Elliptical machines are also easier on the legs and joints, but still beneficial for your health.
Read More >> Is it Better to Work Standing or Sitting?
Check out this video for a beginner workout that you can do with your under desk elliptical!
Types of Under Desk Ellipticals for Weight Loss
There are different types of under desk ellipticals that can be used to burn extra calories.
There are traditional under desk ellipticals, monitoring under desk ellipticals, sitting/standing ellipticals, pedal bike ellipticals, and resistance ellipticals.
Traditional Under Desk Ellipticals
This is just a standard elliptical machine that will fit underneath a desk. They have two pedals and usually have non-slip surfaces for them.
You move your legs in the elliptical shape to burn calories and they can be a great aid in weight loss.
Monitoring Under Desk Ellipticals
This type is popular because it has a monitor on the machine that includes some useful information if you are trying to lose weight.
The monitor may include information like the number of strides you have taken, the amount of time you have been using the machine, or even the amount of calories you have burned so far.
Sitting/Standing Under Desk Ellipticals
A lot of ellipticals are only designed to be used while you sit.
However, since it is best to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day, you may lose more weight if you purchase an elliptical machine that you can use while standing or sitting.
This will add even more beneficial movement into your daily routine as well.
Pedal Bike Ellipticals
This is different from a standard elliptical machine. It has an elliptical rotation that is similar to an exercise bike and will have straps to secure your feet to the pedals.
This is another great way to burn more calories and lose more weight, but you have to consider if your legs will be able to fit under your desk while you utilize a pedal bike elliptical machine.
A lot of under desk ellipticals have an adjustable resistance component so that you can make it suitable for you.
While a higher resistance may burn more calories in a shorter amount of time, a lower resistance is good for working out consistently throughout most of the day.
To adjust the resistance you will just have to turn a knob or dial.
How Do Under Desk Ellipticals for Weight Loss Work?
Most of us work at a desk for hours of each day which contributes to an overall sedentary lifestyle.
An under desk elliptical can help you burn 150 to 300 calories an hour or even more depending on your weight and resistance setting.
This is because you will be using the muscles in your legs and moving throughout the entire time even if you are busy working on a completely different task.
In addition, the movement on an elliptical machine can increase your cardio health, tone your legs, and keep you away from the gym which can free up more of your personal time for other pursuits.
Under desk ellipticals are similar to other elliptical machines, but they are compact and offer a range of motion that can allow you to use them while your legs remain under your desk.
They are also usually lightweight so that you can take them to and from the office if you wish.
What to Look for in the Best Under Desk Ellipticals for Weight Loss
There are some fantastic under desk elliptical machines, but there are also some that are low-quality or cheaply made.
To ensure that you get a high-quality machine that will help you get down to your goal weight, it is important to consider some different things.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Elliptical Desks
You will want to make sure that the one you choose is durable if you plan on using it to lose weight. Since under desk ellipticals have a lot of moving parts, they can break down if they are not high quality.
There are some affordable, but well-made elliptical machines, but they should be stable and heavy enough to last for longer than a year.
You also want to make sure that the elliptical that you purchase has a movement that suits you.
You want it to be natural movement that is comfortable and not hard on the joints. They also have some options available that have adjustable gait so that you can fit it to your natural stride.
The resistance needs to be good.
You can lose weight on any resistance if you do it right. However, if you only plan on using the elliptical device for a short amount of time each day then you will want one that has a good amount of resistance if you want to burn a lot of calories.
However, if you plan on using it for a prolonged period of time each day, then you want it to have low enough resistance to not wear out your legs too fast.
Make sure that you will be able to use the elliptical machine under your desk with the correct motion without your knees bumping against the bottom of the desk.
If you plan on using the elliptical in multiple places, you also want to make sure that it is lightweight and easy enough to take with you.
Best Under Desk Ellipticals for Weight Loss
- MULTI-TASK: Our premium quality under desk elliptical machine can help you burn calories, boost your energy level, increase productivity and reduce stress as you work
- MAGNETIC RESISTANCE: This compact elliptical exercise machine has ultra-smooth magnetic resistance, a superior flywheel and a sturdy base. It's whisper quiet, so you'll never bother those around you
This is a great machine made out of high-quality materials that has a monitor that displays strides, rotations per minute, time, and calories burned.
The mechanism is smooth and quiet and has 8 resistance settings.
- Durable and quiet
- Resistance settings
- More expensive than some options
- May be prone to squeaking
- PORTABLE, QUIET AND EFFICIENT CARDIO: This mini strider is compact and lightweight, making it easy to use and transport to any home or office space. It’s quiet and unintrusive, too. The minimal space required is 24.5 x 17 inches
- ADJUSTABLE TENSION WITH MONITOR: Vary the intensity of your workout by turning the adjustable dial while you stride. See your stats while exercising with the display monitor.
This is a great, affordable option especially if you plan on using the machine in multiple locations. It is lightweight and compact.
Not only that, but it also has a resistance dial and monitor. Finally, you can use this elliptical when you stand in addition to sitting while using it.
- Sitting/Standing Elliptical
- Lightweight and compact
- No handle
- Fixed pedals
- UNDER DESK ELLIPTICAL - Designed with ultra-smooth gearing and a compact design, Cubii home ellipticals are ideal for exercising at home or the office without stressing your joints!
- SET & TRACK FITNESS GOALS - The Cubii mobile app syncs with iPhone and Android cellphones, Fitbit smart bands, and Apple Health Kit to track your distance pedaled, calories burnt, and more.
This elliptical machine is quiet, well-made, and durable. You can sync it with the Cubii app on your phone or your Fitbit to track the calories you burn and how much you use the machine.
This can be great for weight loss. The pedals are non-slip and the mechanism is smooth which makes it easy on the joints.
- Mobile app
- Quiet and smooth
- Plug in to charge
- Larger and more expensive than other options
- Multiple - Function: Ativafit mini exercise trainer supports sitting or standing position, forward or reverse motion, pedaling or running. Depends on the needs, you can workout your body while sitting or standing up and it makes your workout varied and convenient.
- Highly Adjustable & Built-In Monitor: This mini elliptical is designed with multiple resistance levels, you can adjust and control the intensity of your workout according to your needs. A built-in LCD monitor features with 5 functions: time, count, distance, calories ,total count. You can see your training data while exercising with the display monitor.
This is a great elliptical that can be used for standing and sitting.
It can also be used to support different types of motion and has a monitor that shows time, count, distance, and calories burnt.
It has a resistance knob and large non-slip pedals.
- May be unstable for some people to stand
- 【Auto & Manual Modes, More Effective 】There are 2 modes in this mini elliptical machine. Auto (P1-P3) & Manual (5-levels speed) , which gives you multiple choices to exercise.
- 【Remote Control】Just use the remote control of this home use elliptical machine and pressed the button, you can switch the mode and speed easily, don't need to bend down and look down while working or watching TV anymore.
This elliptical machine has different modes for both auto and manual use and even has a remote control so that you can change between the speeds easily.
The monitor can track your time, distance, speed, and calories burnt. It also has a smooth and quiet mechanism.
- Smooth and quiet
- Remote Control
- Multiple modes
- Low-quality pedals
- May wear out quickly
Final Thoughts on Under Desk Ellipticals for Weight Loss
Working out while you work is a great way to lose weight while keeping the personal time that you need.
There are lots of great options for under desk elliptical machines for any budget that can aid in your weight loss journey.
There are many types that have monitors so that you can track the number of calories that you burn each day or week. There are also different types and styles to choose from.
Last update on 2022-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API