You may be interested in getting a standing desk because you have heard how bad sitting is for you.
But you have such a small office to put it in. Well, there are plenty of options that could still work for you!
You will learn about:
- The top 5 compact standing desks
- Types that you should consider
- What to look for when you are shopping
But first, let’s look at...
Our Top 5 Standing Desks
What Are Compact Standing Desks?
Does your neck hurt from sitting, and staring at the computer screen for hours at a time? Well, standing desks may be just what the doctor ordered!
Not only can it help your aches and pains, but standing can benefit our overall health in tons of ways! There are different types of standing desks, but most of them will adjust so you can either stand or sit.
This combination of standing and sitting makes them even better for those of us that are health conscious.
With more options than ever, you are sure to find a suitable minimalist standing desk to match your style and available space.
Watch this video for tips on how to have a healthy ergonomic work area!
What are the Different Types of Compact Standing Desks?
There are four main types depending on the functionality that you should consider when looking for a standing desk for a small space.
Non-Adjustable Standing Desks
Non-adjustable standing desks cannot be lowered so that you can sit. They are also at a specific height that needs to fit your specific measurements. They are usually cheaper, but may not be the best option for health and comfort.
Manually Adjustable Standing Desks
This type of desk will adjust to different heights with a lever or knob so that you can sit or stand. Some are more difficult to adjust than others, but you can combine sitting and standing throughout the day.
Electronically Adjustable Standing Desks
Most of the standing desks you have seen are probably electric and adjust at the touch of a button. A lot of them have programmable memory so you can set your preferred seated and standing heights. This makes it simple to change from one to the other and takes the effort out of doing it. This is a good option if you plan on changing positions often.
Standing Desk Converters
Desk converters can change the desk you currently have into a standing desk. This is a fantastic option when it comes to saving space, especially if you already have a compact desk. They are compact and affordable, and some are even portable.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Cubicle Standing Desks (2021 Review)
How Do Compact Standing Desks Work?
Standing desks can help us stand more often. This can improve our health and productivity.
But you don’t necessarily need room for a huge desk. There are plenty of compact options to fit your available space in addition to your specific needs.
Some standing desks become more compact by only having one leg instead of two. This may be a good option, especially if you need to move it around.
Read More >> Best Ways to Move a Standing Desk
A lot of one-legged standing desks have wheels to make them more mobile.
Other compact standing desks are similar to larger models, but with a smaller desktop so that it can fit into a smaller space.
You also don’t want to forget about standing desk converters since they are a great option if you are concerned about limited space.
What to Look for in the Best Compact Standing Desks?
Considerations for minimalist standing desks are the same as any other type except for a few additional things.
Some main things to look for are budget and the type of desk that is convenient for you.
Make sure you get an adjustable desk if you ever want to sit. I
f you plan on going from standing to sitting often, an electronic or pneumatic manually adjustable desk is probably your best bet.
Stability is a concern with some of the cheaper options so take this into account. This is especially important if you have heavy working materials that will be on top.
It is also important if you plan on moving your desk with or without wheels. A crossbar is a good indicator of extra stability.
Since you need a compact standing desk you need to consider the size.
Depending on your situation, this could just mean overall size but could also mean just depth or just length.
It could even mean floor space or height, but these are less common concerns.
Some models have different desktop sizes to choose from. When looking for a compact desk, it doesn’t hurt to check out types where you can choose a smaller option if you need to.
Some of these desks are very high quality, so if you can find one that fits you may want to research it more.
Mobile desks are often small enough to fit in a very small area, like a cubby or corner. Do not discount these desks because it may be the best option depending on your needs.
Last, if you have an existing desk that fits, or if you see a sitting desk the correct size, you should look into standing desk converters. These can help you turn a desk that fits into a standing desk with ease.
Best Compact Standing Desks Reviewed
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE - Ergonomic mobile stand up desk computer workstation is height adjustable from sitting to standing.
- STAND-UP PORTABLE DESK - Ideal for use as a stand-up portable computer office desk and can also be used as a speaker's podium.
This desk has two separately adjustable desktops It also has two other platforms that can serve as shelves for storage.
At 27.5” wide, it can fit in small spaces without sacrificing quality and sturdiness. It also has caster wheels for mobility. Add in the price and you can see why this desk is our top pick!
- Storage Shelves
- 2 adjustable desktops
- Manually adjustable
- Long assembly time
- Low-quality caster wheels
- Multipurpose Laptop Workstation: Desk side huge clip drink beverage soda coffee mug holder cup saucer design, it is a smart way to contain your drink, under the sofa or over the bed - easy to put under the sofa and bed to get a very comfortable posture
- Adjustable Height Office Desk: Adjustable height 27.9 inch-37.2 inch for you to sit or stand, 23.6 inch x 15.7 inch desktop for more storage space, smooth 360 degree rotation wheels make desk move wherever you want
This desk is great… especially for the price!
It is large enough for a computer and other desk materials, the desktop is 23.6 inches wide and 15.7-inch in height, with a cup holder that sticks to the side of the desktop for even more space.
You can move from standing to sitting easily with a 27.9 inch-37.2 inch height range.
This desk also has smooth 360-degree rotation wheels, which makes the desk move wherever you want.
- 27.9 inch-37.2 height range
- 2 color options
- Caster Wheels
- Manual adjustment
- Difficult assembly
- 【Ergonomic Adjustable Design】 Equipped with dual high quality gas rods, the computer desk can be adjusted within the range from 27.5” to 42”. Thus, you can lift it up and down to fulfill your sitting or standing requirement. No wonder, such ergonomic design extremely relieves your fatigue throughout a long workday.
- 【Smooth Rolling Casters for Convenient Mobility】 There are 4 universal casters on the feet, intended to help you move the laptop desk from room to room effortlessly. And 2 of caters are lockable, so that you can keep it in position. More, wear-resistant caters can roll on different surface silently, while causing no damage to your floor.
This desk is a bit more expensive than other models on this list, but it sure is worth it if you don’t mind spending a little extra.
It is high quality and extremely sturdy. Adjustments are made easy due to dual high- quality gas rods, the computer desk can be adjusted within the range from 27.5” to 42”.
There are 4 universal casters on the feet, intended to help you move the laptop desk from room to room effortlessly.
This desk comes in 4 different colors and whatever roles it plays on different occasions, it shall bring an ultra unique experience to you.
- 27.5” to 42" height range
- Ergonomically designed
- The lowest height is not low enough
- The white finish may show dirt and dust
- Broad Compatibility: We create affordable laptop stand designed with creativity and quality to help you create a unique and comfortable workspace! It fits all laptop size from 10 to 17 inches, such as MacBook, MacBook Air, Macbook Pro, Microsoft Surface, Google Pixelbook, Dell XPS, HP, ASUS, Lenovo, Acer, Chromebook and more.
- Sit to Stand Laptop Holder Convertor: The Nulaxy laptop stand can raise your laptop screen height flexibly from 1.18" to 21", which ensures you a comfortable position no matter sitting down or standing up, bringing the laptop screen up to eye-level, improves your body posture and helps to relieve neck, back pain and eye strain. The computer stand is a must have home office supplies product and a useful office accessories for men and women.
This is a standing desk converter that is compact and will only hold your laptop.
Since it goes on top of an existing desk, you will still have a place to keep other materials.
It is a sleek silver color and adjusts smoothly. It is sturdy enough to support 22 lbs and has a very reasonable price tag.
- 22 lb weight limit
- Great design
- Only holds a laptop
- Manually adjustable
- Not suitable for taller people
- Sit to Stand - Adjustable workstation allows you to find the healthy balance between sitting and standing at the office. With a durable gas spring, you can adjust your desk riser in one smooth motion via pressure handle. (Adjustable range: 5 to 16 inches) --Patented--
- Space Efficiency - Provided by an upper desktop measuring 25" x 18" and a lower tier measuring 25" x 10", which allows the riser to fit in most workstations and still provide room for different monitor/laptop setups.
This standing desk converter has a great design for both style and durability. In addition to the desktop, it also has a keyboard tray.
Pneumatics make adjusting smooth and easy. It also comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Keyboard tray
- 5” to 16” height range
- Large width for a desk converter
- The keyboard tray doesn’t support much weight
- The sitting position isn’t low enough
Final Thoughts on Compact Standing Desks
There are a plethora of options when it comes to standing desks that fit into small spaces.
There are mobile ones, desk converters, pneumatic options, and more!
You should be able to find some you like that fit your needs!