Your employer may not be able to change everyone’s desk into a standing desk, but there are ways to still have a standing desk at work, even if you work in a cubicle with cramped or limited space.
Read this guide to learn about:
- Our top five cubicle standing desks
- Different types of desks that you can use for work
- How to choose the perfect standing desk for your cubicle
First thing’s first...
Our Top 5 Cubicle Standing Desks
- VIVO 32-inch Desk Converter (Our Top Pick)
- Stand Steady X-Elite Pro (Best Budget)
- VERSADESK Power Pro (Best High End)
What are Cubicle Standing Desks?
Sitting at a desk all day can cause aches and pains. This can contribute to fatigue and lower productivity. Standing more often can help us be more productive and improves our health.
There are different types of standing desks that you can use at work. Some aren’t adjustable, but most are adjustable either manually or electronically.
There are also standing desk converters that will change your existing desk into a standing desk.
Read More >> Fezibo Standing Desk Review
You have plenty of standing desks to choose from that will be able to transform your work area and give you the cubicle standing desk you have always wanted.
Watch this video for more information on a healthy workspace:
What are the Different Types of Cubicle Standing Desks?
There are four categories that you should be aware of when shopping for a standing desk.
Non-adjustable Standing Desks
This type of standing desk cannot be lowered so that you can sit down. You can, however, use a tall stool to sit it.
Just make sure that the desk is the correct height for you to comfortably stand.
Manually Adjustable Standing Desks
You can raise and lower this type of desk to the most comfortable sitting and standing heights.
They often use pneumatics to make it easier to operate. They use cranks, levers, or knobs to transition from sitting to standing.
Electronically Adjustable Standing Desks
Electric standing desks adjust with the touch of a button. This makes it easy to go from standing to sitting and vice versa.
This is a good option if you plan on changing positions often.
Some models have programmable memory buttons so that they can remember the perfect sitting and standing heights.
Standing Desk Converters
Desk converters can easily change your existing desk into a standing one.
This is a great option for your cubicle because you won’t have to lug an entire desk into the office.
They are compact and affordable, but can still offer you the chance to alternate between standing and sitting.
How Do Cubicle Standing Desks Work?
It can be hard to stand more often at a regular work desk. A standing desk makes it natural and easy to do. This can benefit our health by making us reduce our sedentary time.
You may not have a ton of space in your cubicle for a standing desk. Thankfully, there are still plenty of options for you to choose from.
The length and width of the desktops vary greatly. In addition, some only have one centered leg to reduce space.
Standing desk converters may be a great option since they will lay on the top of your current desk.
This means you don’t have to worry about it taking up too much space. They are also easier to move in than a full-size standing desk.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Industrial Standing Desks (2021 Review)
What to Look for in the Best Cubicle Standing Desks?
First of all, you need to take your budget into account. It is also important to decide if you want your desk to be adjustable or not.
But there are other things to think about while you look for a standing desk for your cubicle.
You need to think about stability and durability. If you use heavy materials, like multiple desktops for example, then you should keep the weight restrictions in mind as you look at different models.
Also, if the desk has a crossbar, it will likely wobble less than one that doesn’t.
For a standing desk that will fit into your cubicle, you need to look at the size. You don’t want it to extend too far so that you don’t have any room other than the desk.
For this, you need to look at the depth. It also has to fit, so look at the overall length.
Another size consideration is the size of the desktop. You need to get a desktop that will be sufficient for your work.
It needs to hold all of your materials and give a workspace while remaining comfortable. A lot of standing desk models offer a choice for the size of the desktop.
If you want to keep your existing cubicle desk, it is probably a good idea to look into desk converters as opposed to free-standing stationary standing desks.
This takes away a lot of the measurement requirements and still offers you the ability to stand while you work.
Best Cubicle Standing Desks Reviewed
#1 VIVO 32-inch Desk Converter
- Create Instant Active Standing - VIVO’s desk riser provides on-demand standing throughout the day for the freedom to get out of your chair and relieve muscle tension, reduce stress, and increase productivity. --Patented--
- Space Efficient 31.5" Surface - The top surface measures 31.5” x 15.7”, which maximizes space while still providing room for dual monitors. The 31.3" x 11.8" (10.5" in center) keyboard tray raises in sync with the top surface to create a comfortable workstation.
The VIVO’s desk riser provides healthy standing throughout the day, with this riser you will be able to simply lift your desktop to create Instant active standing.
Thanks to the strong 33 lbs lift assist, you can go from sitting to standing in one smooth motion, with an adjustment range from 4.5" to 20", the lift design on this riser elevates straight upwards.
This riser requires very minimal assembly, almost ready to go right out of the box!
Available in 5 different sizes and colors.
The top surface measures 31.5” x 15.7”, which maximizes space while still providing room for dual monitors. The 31.3" x 11.8" keyboard tray raises in sync with the top surface to create a comfortable workstation.
- Keyboard tray
- 5 color choices
- 33 lb weight limit
#2 Stand Steady X-Elite Pro
- EXTRA LARGE DESKTOP: At 40 inches wide, the X-Elite is one of the largest desk converters on the market. Its spacious desktop supports your double monitor setup with ease
- EASY SIT TO STAND: Let the X-Elite’s pneumatic pump do the heavy lifting for you! With a smooth, air-assisted lift, this ergonomic standing desk converter easily transitions from sitting to standing height in seconds – up to 16.75” high
The X-Elite Pro Corner Standing Desk is one of the best - and only - single-level standing desk converters made for cubicles and L-shaped desks.
With an incredibly spacious desktop, this desk is perfect for your double monitor set-up, with plenty of extra space for a keyboard, mouse, and more!
Although the desktop is large, it only requires 24” x 17” of under desk space!
This desk riser is equipped with an air-assisted lift pneumatic pump to achieve your perfect ergonomic height quickly and quietly, you can easily transition from sitting to standing height in seconds, from 2.25" to 16.75".
Even at its highest height, the X-Elite Corner remains sturdy and stable - without wobbling, but the weight capacity remains at 20 lbs.
Lastly, this desk riser requires ZERO assembly, it arrives fully assembled and ready to be used right out of the box.
- 3 color options
- Ideal for cubicles and L-shaped desks
- 20 lb weight limit
#3 VERSADESK Power Pro
- ELECTRIC POWERED – Easily adjust your desk riser from a sitting to a standing position in seconds. With fully electric power and no stopping points, you can adjust the riser to whatever position fits your workspace best with ease and comfort. Height is adjustable up to 20”. Push button ease of use to raise and lower your work surface.
- HIGHEST QUALITY - These risers boast high quality, high-pressure WilsonArt laminate. High-density fiberboard surface is scratch and dirt-resistant. Exceptional strength frame ensures years of durability.
This standing desk converter is made out of high-quality carbon steel. It smoothly adjusts with ease with an electric motor.
It has a great design and includes sufficient wire management. It is scratch, dent, and fade resistant because of the laminate.
- Electronically adjustable
- Wire Management
- Keyboard Tray
- Engineered Wood
- Tendency to slide around
- Slow adjustments
#4 Rocelco 46” Height Adjustable Corner Standing Desk Converter
- EXTRA LARGE WORK SURFACE 45 5" wide by 23 25" deep desktop designed for corner desktops can hold up to two 32" monitors and 40" wide by 13" deep keyboard tray will hold a laptop if needed
- QUICK, EASY, AND STABLE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT DESIGN: Sturdy metal frame with easy-grip side handle and gas piston assist, can raise and lower up to 40 pounds with continuous height adjustment from 5" up to 18" above the desktop to optimize the ergonomic work position for people of most heights. Straight up and down motion minimizes required depth (23.25").
This standing desk converter works great for those who need a larger space for work. It is also suitable for a corner cubicle, as the name suggests.
You can purchase additional accessories including a dual monitor mount and a floor mat. It also has a keyboard tray and a wire management grommet and has two color options.
- Size - Large with small depth (although this could be a “con” for some)
- 40 lb operable weight limit
- Wire Management
- Manually adjustable
- Small clearance room over keyboard tray
#5 FEZIBO Electric Height Adjustable Standing Desk with Drawer
- Ergonomic Home Office Desk: FEZIBO standing desk after years of constant iteration. Both the home office rising experience and quality of the products are trustworthy. It can hold up to 176 pounds
- Height Adjustable Lift: The brake system is controlled by electric motors to adjust different tabletop heights from 27.7 to 46.6 Inches. 4 Positions memory functions lift conveniently and quickly
This is a great option for those who don’t want a standing desk converter for their cubicle but still need to fit a standing desk in.
It is electronically adjustable between 28” and 46” to suit people of nearly any height.
It comes in multiple colors and has a drawer for storage. You can try it for 30 days risk-free.
- Electronically adjustable
- Large height range
- Small size with the option to choose a larger desktop
- Difficult Assembly
- The desktop comes in two pieces
- Poor quality wood
Final Thoughts on Cubicle Standing Desks
When it comes to a standing desk for work, you have some different options. The easiest way to get a standing desk is to use a standing desk converter.
There are electric and manual options available. There are also full-size standing desks on the smaller side that may fit into your work area.