We all sit way too much, but standing can help reduce harmful sedentary behavior.
So why only give this benefit to adults?
Children deserve the opportunity to stand while they do homework and other activities.
Read this article to learn about:
- The top 5 best standing desks made for kids
- How to choose a standing desk and what to look for in a good one
- Types of standing desks for children
Let’s do it!
Top 5 Standing Desks for Kids
- S Stand Up Crank Adjustable-Height Student Desk (Our Top Pick)
- Flash Furniture Student Desk (Best Budget)
- Vari Education - Sit-Stand School Desk (Best High End)
What Are Standing Desks for Kids?
Standing desks are everywhere these days, but they are all too large from younger, and smaller, people.
Children aren’t tall enough to reap the health benefits of regular standing desks, plus they don’t take their unique needs into consideration.
Kids deserve to avoid sedentary behavior by having the opportunity to stand while they learn and play.
Good thing there are lots of options to choose from that are the right size and style to suit your child’s needs.
Now kids are learning at home more than ever before, so you don’t have to wait on their school to invest in standing desks. Getting one for your child can reduce their BMI and increase engagement.
There are several types of standing desks so you can get one that makes both you and your son or daughter happy.
Check out this video to learn more about the amazing benefits of using standing desks for kids in a classroom!
What are the Different Types of Standing Desks for Kids?
The types of standing desks you need to consider for a child are typically categorized by the style (usually relative to the gender) and age.
Think about these types so you can find the perfect desk for them.
Standing Desks for Toddlers
This type of standing desk has a lower height range than any other standing desk type. They are also usually small.
Since toddlers grow so fast, these desks are almost always adjustable so you can use them for more than a couple months.
Many toddler desks are also colorful and have styles that appeal to younger crowds.
Standing Desks for Older Children
These desks usually have a sophisticated style compared to toddler desks, but are also shorter than standing desks made for adults.
They often have storage for books, notebooks, pencils, and other materials.
They usually have a height range that can accommodate any students from elementary age through middle school. They sometimes can work for high schoolers as well.
Standing Desks for Boys
Most desks have multiple color options, but some have styles including characters that appeal directly to boys.
They often have a rugged look and are usually blue in color.
Standing Desks for Girls
Some desks are pink or styled to appeal to girls.
Most of these have the option to choose for genders, but if you have a girl whose favorite color is pink this is definitely something to consider.
Read More: Top 5 Best Standing Desks With Drawers (2021 Review)
How Do Standing Desks for Kids Work?
Kids sit a lot more than they should while at school. Then they come home and play or do homework while sitting even more.
In fact, the average student in the U.S. sits four and half hours every day! A standing desk for children can work by allowing a student to stand or choose between standing or sitting.
Just by standing more, children become more active. Advocates are trying to get standing desks in schools, but that may take a while.
You can reduce the amount of time your child sits dramatically by buying them a standing desk that they can use at home.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desks for Kids?
When looking for standing desks for kids, you need to check for some things to ensure you get one that will be good quality and that will suit your child’s unique size and requirements.
You have to consider the height range. First of all, if you want your child to be able to change from sitting to standing, be sure to buy a model that is adjustable.
Kids grow fast so you don’t want to purchase a desk that will only work for them for their current height.
Instead, purchase one that will work for their sitting height and above.
There are some standing desks made for younger kids and other ones made for older children so be sure to look at their specifications.
You also need to look at storage. If you are buying a desk for your child to work on homework then you need to make sure the desktop can fit the materials they need.
This could be a book, pencils, paper, and more. Some children’s desks have a stand where you can put books and other materials while freeing up the rest of the desktop for the child to work.
A lot of desks for children have a cubby underneath the desktop. This is a great way for them to store stuff that they don’t need at all times.
It can also give them their own personal space where they can feel comfortable and know where to locate school materials.
You should choose a desk with a style that your child will like. This will make them comfortable when doing their school work.
You may want to ask them what they think before you buy a particular desk.
Another thing to look at is the footrest. Many options have a footrest for your kid to use while sitting.
Sometimes this footrest rocks back and forth so your child can have some movement even while sitting.
Read More: Does Insurance Cover a Standing Desk?
Best Standing Desks for Kids
#1 S Stand Up Crank Adjustable-Height Student Desk
- Spacious yet space-saving workstation; plenty of room for a laptop and paperwork in a mobile and compact configuration
- Hand crank height adjustment is simple, strong, and durable; when not in use, crank handle can be removed (36" version)
This high quality crank adjustable desk is perfect for students. It comes with 36” or 40” desktops and two color options.
It also has caster wheels so your child can easily move it from one room to another. It only has one leg so it can fit into tight spaces or through doorways.
- Caster Wheels
- Bag hook, cupholder, pencil tray
- 30” to 45” height range
- Manual adjustment
- No cubbies or shelves
- No large desktop options
#2 Flash Furniture Student Desk
- One size fits all is not a term you normally want associated with education but in this case it is a good thing. This adjustable height student desk is recommended for children from elementary through high school which saves money earning it an A+.
- Spacious 23.625"W x 17.75"D Work Surface with Pencil Groove, .75" Thick High Pressure Laminate Top
This is a great option for those on a budget. It has the look of a traditional school desk, but the benefit of adjustability.
It has a cubby for storage and a sturdy frame. The height range should suit students from elementary through middle school ages.
- Sturdy with anti-slip feet
- 28” to 31” height range
- Not suitable for taller students
- Small desktop
- Difficult assembly
#3 Vari Education - Sit-Stand School Desk
- Air piston-assisted lift with 17 height settings between 26”-42”
- Steel crossbar for enhanced stability
This is a great desk with pneumatic adjustable. It has a cross bar and large legs for great stability. The large height range makes it suitable for children of almost any age.
The style should appeal to children in middle school and beyond, but younger kids may like it as well.
- Pneumatic adjustability
- Stability (cross bar and large feet)
- 26” to 42” height range
- Two levers to adjust
- Height settings
- No Storage
#4 Ubbie Kids Desk
- 【Safe and Durable】 Durable rubber pads can prevent table and chair sets from rubbing against the ground to cause damage,Study table features a high-quality MDF desktop,and legs constructed with high quality steel frame to ensure long term of use.and the desk and chair have excellent load-bearing capacity of 190lbs
- 【Book Stand and LED Lamp】 Children can freely adjust the direction and brightness according to their needs,equipped with detachable LED table lamp, The rotatable book stand can hold the book and protect eyes at a proper distance to avoid visual damage,providing good illumination for learning or reading
This height adjustable desk is great for younger kids. It comes in blue, pink, or gray.
It also includes a chair so your child can sit or stand and has a book stand, lamp, and storage room. In addition, the desk can tilt to suit your kid’s height and work style.
- 21” to 29” adjustability
- Storage and accessories
- Chair included
- Not suitable for taller children
- Not very sturdy
- Hard to clean
#5 Safco Products AlphaBetter Adjustable-Height Desk
- Active learning. Safco alphabetter adjustable-height desk gives students in grades 3-12 the opportunity to sit or stand during the school day and fidget without being a distraction to their classmates or teachers, while potentially improving their focus and concentration.
- Built to last. Designed with 16-gauge, commercial-grade tubular Steel, its Sturdy base withstands the toughest schoolroom conditions and keeps going strong. Covered with a Black powder Coat Finish to help resist chipping and scratching for years of dependable use.
This desk is great for school age students because it is sturdy, has a storage shelf, and has a footrest that swings.
A 26” to 42” height range makes it suitable for kids of all ages.
It has a 20” desktop and works well in a classroom setting.
- Large height range
- Storage shelf
- Swinging footrest
- Small desktop
- Hard to adjust
- Adjusts in increments
Final Thoughts on Standing Desks for Kids
There are some great options for children of any age. Some are more suitable for a specific age group while others appeal to anyone!
Make sure you get one that has ample storage space and a height range that works for your child.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API