If you have been worried about the risks that come with sitting and sedentary lifestyles, then a kneeling chair that moves back and forth may be the best option.
This article covers:
- The top 5 best rocking kneeling chairs, their features, and their pros and cons
- What they are and the different types
- What to look for when shopping for the best one
Let’s get started!
Best Rocking Kneeling Chairs
- Varier Variable Balans Original Kneeling Chair (Our Top Pick)
- Predawn Ergonomic Kneeling Chair for Upright Posture (Best Budget)
- Varier Variable Balans Monochrome Original Kneeling Chair (Best High End)
What are Rocking Kneeling Chairs?
Kneeling chairs allow you to sit with a 110 degree bottom to thigh angle instead of the 90 degree angle in a traditional office chair.
This allows the hips to open up and the spine to rest in its natural position. The good posture that a kneeling chair supports and encourages can help to alleviate back, neck, and shoulder pain.
A rocking kneeling chair improves upon the benefits of a standard kneeling chair because it encourages more active sitting.
Active sitting is associated with better health because it promotes movement. In addition, active sitting is better for productivity and may help to reduce back pain even more than a standard kneeling chair.
Check out this great video about the benefits of active sitting for back pain.
What are the Different Types of Rocking Kneeling Chairs?
There are a few different types of rocking kneeling chairs to be aware of.
The primary types are standard, single knee pad, double knee pad, ergonomic, saddle seat, backrest, and mobile.
This is the regular type of rocking kneeling chair.
They are made out of wood or metal and most rock back and forth on the ground with a rolling type of motion.
They are available in a plethora of different styles as well.
Single Knee Pad
These ones have a single knee pad that fits both knees onto it.
This is more common than the double knee padded options and works just fine for most people.
However, they do not allow for very many different positions or adjustments.
Double Knee Pad
These have two separate knee pads, one for each leg. This allows you to open up your legs and hips which may add some benefits.
Some of them even have adjustable components to open up your knees to the desired spacing.
This type has more adjustable features than the other types.
Most will have some adjustment for the height, but these have adjustments for the knee pads and many even have lumbar support.
They also often have more supportive cushioning for the seat.
These are a great choice for those who are purchasing the rocking kneeling chair for back pain.
This is because the saddle shaped seat is beneficial for the buttocks and spine.
These ones have a backrest on them and some even have a removable backrest.
It is generally not a good idea to use a backrest on a kneeling chair because it can defeat the entire purpose of the chair which is to provide naturally good posture.
These have wheels for mobility. Some have only two wheels that allow for the standard type of rocking while others have four wheels which prevents them from rocking on the ground.
Instead, they utilize a different type of mechanism to allow for rocking motions.
How Do Rocking Kneeling Chairs Work?
Rocking kneeling chairs are designed for overall physical health and wellbeing. They have padded support that is not too soft, but remains comfortable.
The kneeling chair allows the user to sit without putting too much weight or tension on any part of the body. Instead, the weight is evenly distributed.
Read More >> Are Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs Worth It?
A rocking kneeling chair allows for subtle movement at all hours of the day. This helps to prevent an overly sedentary lifestyle.
Not only that, but the movement also burns more calories, strengthens the core, and opens up the body for breathing and reduces compression.
They are often made out of slightly flexible woods or thin metals.
This allows for a rocking motion that does not put excessive pressure on the joints in order to produce movement.
It also allows for more durability because the chair will bend instead of breaking under pressure.
What to Look for in the Best Rocking Kneeling Chairs?
Rocking kneeling chairs are great, but it is important to find one that works for you. To do that, you need to consider some important factors.
First, the rocking motion needs to suit you. This means that you do not want to rock too much for the type of work that you will be doing while sitting.
If you rock backwards too much it may be distracting. If you do not rock enough, however, then you will not be getting the amount of movement that your body craves.
The amount of force required for the rocking motion is also important to consider. You do not want a chair that requires you to strain to start rocking.
However, you also do not want the chair to rock back and forth too easily.
Also consider the weight limit. Going over the weight limit will be hard on the chair and maybe hard on you as well.
In fact, the chair may even snap and break which could lead to injury. Make sure that the seat and the knee support can properly hold your weight.
Some chairs have very high weight limits, but it is best to double check.
Read More >> Best Kneeling Chairs with Back Support (2021 Review)
Another factor to consider is the height. You want to be able to sit comfortably while you are completing tasks.
A lot of rocking kneeling chair options have an adjustable seat height, but that still does not mean that it will accommodate everyone’s body size.
This is also a consideration for leg room because you want to sit close enough to a desk to properly work. Make sure that your knees or thighs do not get in the way of the desk.
Finally, you want a seat that is on a slight incline and that is supportive. It does not necessarily have to be a saddle seat or a lumbar supportive seat (although those are good options), but you do not want it to be too soft. You do want it to be comfortable and supportive at the same time.
Best Rocking Kneeling Chairs
- The ONLY original kneeling chair designed by Peter Opsvik in 1979
- Now includes FREE soft tape ($50 value) for floor protection! Avoid scratches on hard floors
This chair has an incredible design and a tilted seat to provide balance and promote good posture. In fact, it is the original kneeling chair design from 1979.
It is available in a plethora of great colors and is supportive and durable while providing a great rocking motion suitable for most people.
- Great rocking ability
- Tilted seat
- Durable, simple design
- Not great for very short people
- May wobble a little during rocking motion
- Difficult assembly
- BETTER POSTURE – There is no reason to hunch over your keyboard or desk for hours on end anymore. With our seat cushion angled at a comfortable 90 degree, this posture chair has a functional design that promotes better posture and more comfort. This angled kneeling desk chair will keep your back at an upright position, distributing your weight evenly throughout your buttocks and legs, all while keeping your spine aligned.
- MAXIMUM COMFORT – We’ve got your back (and your knees, shins, and your behind!) Your ergonomic kneeling chair is equipped with Solid wood frame & high elastic sponge linen fabric to ensure To ensure the comfort during use.
This chair has a stylish design and a seat cushion angled for posture and comfort. It has a wooden frame and elastic sponge linen fabric.
The rocking motion is natural and made to strengthen the core muscles.
It also comes with a 5 year warranty and if anything breaks in the first two years they replace the chair without questions.
- Stylish and durable design
- Angled seat cushion
- Warranty and customer service
- A little wobbly
- Poor instructions for assembly
- Not a large range of motion when rocking
This chair has a simple design and is made out of high quality materials. The high quality wood is flexible and strong to allow bending while providing support.
The seat is tilted for comfort and health and the chair is lightweight but durable. Finally, it has high quality upholstery that is comfortable and soft.
- High quality materials
- Tilted seat
- Durable and strong
- Not great for those who are heavier
- Difficult assembly
- More expensive than other options
- [REDUCE PAIN] The Austin positions you with an open hip angle that effortlessly encourages an active upright posture. Kneel position will align your back, shoulders and neck, lower risk of injury Comfortable for bended knees. Ergochair that improves and corrects posture.
- [DURABILITY] The Austin features thick seat and comfy memory foam knee rest cushions, 3 wood cross bars instead of one; and 20 ply instead of 14 ply birchwood for strength and durability
This chair has a rocking motion that is comfortable and balanced. The seat is thick and the knee pads are made out of memory foam for comfort and individualized support.
It has 3 crossbars for durability and is great for people 5’2” all the way to 6’6” tall. It has a strong frame that can support up to 265 pounds.
- Strong with weight limit of 265 pounds
- Comfortable seat and knee pads
- Suitable for people 5’2” to 6’6”
- Scratches easily
- Knee pads may be wobbly
- Knee pads are not adjustable and may be tight space for some people
- Improves Posture - It’s time to conquer back pain with an ergonomic kneeling chair for your standing workstation or regular office desk! Features 4” thick mesh cushions for excellent support and 4 caster wheels for smooth mobility. PLEASE NOTE: You will use different muscles in a kneeling chair than you would in a regular chair, so it’s best to acclimate yourself when first using, or switch positions throughout the day.
- Height Adjustable - This sturdy chair gives you the posture benefits of standing and the relief of sitting all in one! Keeping your back in an upright position, it distributes your weight evenly throughout your buttocks and legs, relieving the pressure on your spine. The frame is height adjustable from 20” to 27.9” to help you find the perfect position.
This chair has thick mesh cushions and a smooth rocking motion. It supports up to 250 pounds and is made of durable wooden materials.
It also has a slick modern style. It is a great choice for good posture and comfort. The cushion is supportive, but comfortable and great for back pain.
- Thick 4 inch cushions
- Smooth rocking motion
- Durable materials
- Not suitable for very short people
- No height adjustment
- Difficult assembly
Final Thoughts on Rocking Kneeling Chairs
Rocking kneeling chairs are one of the best ways to prevent or reduce back pain and to promote active sitting.
There are tons of different options depending on the type you want as well as your style and budget.
They also have different rocking abilities and range of motions. Whatever you are looking for, there are options available.
Last update on 2021-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API