If you need to find out more about the best office chairs for use on your hardwood floors, then we’re ready to help with our clear and simple top 5 list.
In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for office chairs suited to hardwood floors
- How to pick the best office chair for your hardwood floors
- Some of the main options and features you should look at carefully when choosing an office chair for use on hardwood floors
Let’s get started!
Our top 5 office chairs for hardwood floors
What are office chairs for hardwood floors?
To be suitable for hardwood floors, an office chair must have wheels or caps designed for hardwood surfaces which won’t leave scratches, dents or other marks in your flooring, and won’t slip during use.
Other chairs can be used on hardwood floors but will require the addition of a mat to the floor or pads to the bottom of the chair legs to avoid damage and slipping.
Read More >> Best Velvet Office Chairs (2021 Review)
What are the different types of office chair for hardwood floors?
Office chair for hardwood floors may come in a range of different shapes and sizes. The main feature to consider is the legs or base, and the contact point/s with the floor.
Traditional office chairs, saddle stools, kneeling chairs and other seat types may all be suited to hardwood floors if the casters or caps are right.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Heated Office Chairs
How does an office chair work on hardwood floors?
As with an office chair in any other situation, you should first adjust your chair for ergonomics and comfort, positioning chair, desk and computer equipment correctly to avoid putting strain on your body or eyes.
Read More >> Best Office Chairs for Sitting Crossed Legged?
With hardwood flooring, also consider the points where the chair touches the floor. Ensure that wheels are suitable for use on a hardwood surface, or replace the wheels with another set.
If your chair has caps, or rests on its base, make sure that the point of contact is soft and non-marking, with enough grip to hold it in place.
If in doubt, add a soft pad to chair legs or base to protect your floor.
What to look for In the best office chair for hardwood floors?
Look for a chair which already comes with hardwood casters or caps to avoid the hassle of buying and fitting new wheels or pads.
As with any office chair, always measure the size available at your desk and match this to the dimensions of the chairs you’re browsing.
Read More >> Best Office Chairs For Plus Size People
Your own weight, height, working activities and personal preferences should also inform your choice of chair.
Best Office Chair for Hardwood Floors Reviewed
#1 Best all-round option: Steelcase Series 1 Office Desk Chair with Soft Hard Floor casters
- Back mesh and Connect seat fabric are 100% polyester
- Wheels for hard flooring
A reliable and highly ergonomic office chair from top brand Steelworks, the Series 1 has a dynamic and supportive “LiveBack” backrest, adjustable seat depth and height (16.5”-21.5”), and 4D adjustable arm rests.
Available with hard floor casters.
- Very adjustable to fit different user sizes and comfort preferences
- Good for heavier users - maxim weight up to 400lb
- 12 year warranty from manufacturer
- From some reviews, the chair proportions may make it a better choice for average height or shorter users
#2 Best budget option: Perch Saddle Stool with Back
- FOR WOOD, CERAMIC OR TILE FLOORS A quarter inch glossy rubberized coating encompasses the wheel perimeter of our HARD FLOOR CASTERS, allowing this height adjustable chair to roll on hardwood, ceramic, and tile floors without scratching or damaging the floor’s surface.
- Back: Adjustable back 15.5"w x 9"h for added support. Adjusts up, down, forward and back. Seat: Form-fitting saddle style seat that takes your weight while allowing you to stay on your feet.
A comfortable and adjustable saddle chair with a generous seat height range from 25” - 34.5”.
Pneumatic seat rising mechanism supports user weights of up to 300lb. 18” or 20” footrest rings can be purchased separately.
Available with casters for hard floors, or with stationery caps if you don’t want a rolling chair.
- Highly adjustable seat height for this price point - fits a wide range of user sizes
- 12-Year warranty for workmanship and lifetime guarantee for cylinder parts
- Produced in Colorado USA by a family-owned firm
- Not everyone is comfortable with a saddle seat
- Only available in one color
#3 Best high end option: Steelcase Leap Plus Task Chair with Headrest
This top of the range chair from leading brand Steelcase, is as highly ergonomic and adjustable as you would expect for the price including adjustments to seat depth and armrest positioning as well as seat height and headrest.
Lots of color options and can be ordered with casters for hardwood flooring.
- Suits a wide height range - adjustable seat height of 16-21” and adjustable head rest
- 98% recyclable materials
- 15 fabric colors and four caster options to suit different tastes and floor materials
- Some reviews note loud creaking or squeaking sounds during chair use
#4 Best fixed sitting option: Varier Move Tilting Saddle Stool
- The original Tilting Saddle Stool designed by Per Die in 1985
- Perfect match for a height-adjustable table
Designed in Norway and produced in Europe.
This Varier saddle stool is suitable for sitting, leaning or standing at your desk, making it a perfect match for those who use an adjustable standing desk.
Built from a classic design by Per Die in 1985, the stool complements a range of home and office decor.
A NEAT certified product, use of the stool encourages active sitting, raising the resting heart rate of the user by more than 10%.
A non-slip rubber base is included with this stool at no additional cost, for use on hard floors.
- Tilting saddle is great for those who need to move often from sitting to standing
- Very generous height adjustment from 22” - 32.25” to suit a wide range of user sizes
- Assembly is simple and tool-free - only three parts to connect
- Not everyone wants a fixed seat
- The tilting mechanism isn’t comfortable for everyone
#5 Best kneeling chair option: Varier ThatSit Balans Kneeling Chair with Backrest
- The Thatsit has adjustable kneepad and a backrest, making it our most comfortable chair yet.
- It is lightweight and can easily be moved around. Variable is intended for use with standard height desks
This kneeling rocking chair from Varier is comfortable, adjustable and ergonomic as well as being a classic Norwegian design that will complement any office space.
Forward or backward sitting postures both supported, including option for resting arms.
This chair comes with soft tape which should be attached to protect both chair and hard floor surfaces.
- Adjusts to suit all heights and sizes
- Made from solid and sustainable wood materials
- Encourages active sitting through multiple postures and rocking motion
- Kneeling chairs aren’t generally a good option for longer periods of desk working
- Assembly was not straightforward for all chair users
Final thoughts on Office chair for hardwood floors
Hardwood floors can be a beautiful home feature of classic or modern design.
With the right office chair, you can keep your hardwood floors looking good for long into the future, and we hope our guide has set you on the path to finding your perfect chair.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API