If you’ve been wondering about the best saddle stools for office use, then our guide can help you. In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for saddle stools for the offices
- How to select the best saddle stool for the office
- Some of the key features and functions to think about when browsing office saddle stools
Let’s get started!
Our top 5 saddle stools for the office
- Perch Saddle Stool with Back(Our Top Pick)
- Kaleurrier Ergonomic Swivel Saddle Stool With Back (Best Budget)
- HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Saddle Chair(Best High End)
What are saddle stools?
Saddle stools have seats constructed in the style of equestrian saddles. Saddle stools with backs may be called saddle chairs.
In either case, they are generally designed ergonomically, to maximize good posture and sitter comfort.
Read More >> Are Saddle Stools Comfortable?
Saddle sitting is the same position you would use when riding a horse, with your core muscles activated, your body upright and your spine in its natural ’S’ curve.
Saddle stools and chairs can be used instead of standard office chairs and may be a good choice for those who experience back pain or discomfort when sitting in their usual office chairs.
What are the different types of saddle stool?
As well as the standard designs, you can find saddle stools available with a split / double saddle, arm or elbow rests or other variations.
Saddle chairs may be fully adjustable, partly adjustable or non-adjustable.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Saddle Chairs with Backrests
Most can be adjusted at least for height, with some also allowing changes to seat width and tilt, back tilt and other areas.
How does an saddle stool work in an office setting?
You should sit on a saddle stool just as you would sit on a horse, with legs beside the saddle rather than in front, and an angle of around 45 degrees at the knee.
Proper adjustments to the height and position of your seat can be particularly important when using a saddle stool for your workstation in an office.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Ergonomic Saddle Chairs
And you may want to consult guidance on ergonomic set-up from credible sources.
What to look for in the best saddle stool for the office?
Before browsing stools for the office, think about your own height and weight, as well as your working activities and personal preferences.
Some saddle stools are not suited to heavier or less active individuals.
If you will be sitting for longer periods, greater adjustability can increase the comfort of your saddle stool.
Ensure that the height of your saddle chair is correctly aligned with your desk and any computer equipment, so that you can maintain an ergonomic position and avoid straining your neck, back, or eyes.
Read More >>Are saddle stools good for your back?
A chair with a tilting seat can make it easier to shift from sitting to standing and may increase your comfort if this is a frequent move in your working day.
Some men prefer saddle stools which have a split saddle with a gap between the two sides, as this puts less pressure on the perineal area, especially during longer periods of sitting.
Best Saddle Stools for the Office Reviewed
#1 Best all-round option: Perch Saddle Stool with Back
- FOR WOOD, CERAMIC OR TILE FLOORS A quarter inch glossy rubberized coating encompasses the wheel perimeter of our HARD FLOOR CASTERS, allowing this height adjustable chair to roll on hardwood, ceramic, and tile floors without scratching or damaging the floor’s surface.
- Back: Adjustable back 15.5"w x 9"h for added support. Adjusts up, down, forward and back. Seat: Form-fitting saddle style seat that takes your weight while allowing you to stay on your feet.
This saddle chair from Perch is ideal for office use, with a generous height range of 25” - 34.5”, broad 17” saddle seat, and option to purchase a footrest ring.
The smooth pneumatic seat rising mechanism supports a maximum weight of 300lb.
Available with casters for either hard floors or soft floors, or with stationery caps for those who don’t want a rolling seat.
- Highly adjustable with seat and back which can both be raised and tilted
- 12-Year workmanship warranty, and lifetime guarantee on cylinder components
- Local production by a family-owned firm based in Colorado, USA
- Highly rated on Amazon (4.6/5) but score based on only five reviews to date
#2 Best budget option: Kaleurrier Ergonomic Swivel Saddle Stool With Back
- Comfortable - Features a ergonomic horse saddle seat and contoured back rest with brand new dense sponge to encourage better posture & more comfort,ease your spine stress and back pain,which is much more relaxing than normal stools.
- Sturdy and durable - Heavy duty stool is equipped with reinforced aluminum base,in solid structure for longevity, supports 350 lbs. maxinum weight.The hypoallergenic,CFC-free,Wear-resistant,oil and water proof upholstery is backed by a 5 year guarantee use premier thicker PVC leather.
Available in black or white PU leather, this Kaleurier saddle stool with backrest supports up to a maximum weight of 350lb.
Seat height adjustable from 20” to 28”, the back panel can also be raised and tilted. 14.6” width saddle with smooth pneumatic raising mechanism and easy rotation.
- Good value for money - a number of useful features for under $160
- Solid, sturdy and stable construction
- Easy, tool-free assembly
- No seat tilt function
- Seat raising mechanism may be inconsistent - several reviews note that their maximum seat height is less than the stated maximum height
#3 Best high end option: HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Saddle Chair
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 22.5" – 33" with 18.5" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco's soft and wide saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
The HAG Capisco saddle chair is one of the most highly adjustable and highly ergonomic chairs on the market, as well as having one of the higher price tags.
Seat height, depth and tilt can all be altered, as can back height and tilt.
Generous seat height range from 22.5" – 33” and a design which allows backward sitting. Seven color options and a choice of three frame colors.
Check out the YouTube official user guide to the HAG Capisco saddle chair key features and functions:
- Fully adjustable
- Backrest has built-in elbow supports
- Allows for a reversed sitting position which may be helpful for tailbone issues
- Not suitable for heavier users - max. weight is 250lb which is lower than many saddle seats
- Not comfortable for some reviewers when used over long periods - possibly better suited to active sitting with frequent movement
#4 Best active sitting option: Varier Move Tilting Saddle Stool
- The original Tilting Saddle Stool designed by Per Die in 1985
- Perfect match for a height-adjustable table
This NEAT certified tilting saddle stool from Varier is suitable for standing, leaning or sitting at your desk.
A slightly convex wood base moves with your body. The gentle tilt encourages frequent changes of position and keeps you active while strengthening core and back muscles.
Seat height adjustable from 22” to 32.25”. User weight limit 242lb.
Designed in Norway and constructed in Europe, the stool is available in four colors.
You can view a short video review of the Varier Move tilting saddle stool and its benefits on YouTube:
- Promotes active sitting - using the Vario Move raises resting heart rate by at least 10%
- Generous range of height adjustment - more than 10 inches
- Easy tool-free assembly from three parts
- No wheels - not suitable if you want to roll between desks or screens
- Some reviewers reported that they found the stool uncomfortable on their sit bones
#5 Best portable option: Humantool Portable Ergonomic Office Chair
- 💖 SIT ERGONOMICALLY WITH ANY CHAIR. Portable innovative HUMAN TOOL design made of 3 parts (saddle, base and underlay to secure surfaces) allows you to transform your traditional chair in home or office into a saddle chair and enjoy a comfortable, healthy sitting for long or short durations with HUMAN TOOL SADDLE CHAIR! Ergonomic Stool improves the ergonomics when sitting down, promotes better posture and proper alignment for the back!
- 💺 REVOLUTIONARY SWINGING MOTION UNLIKE ANY OTHERS. Our balance chair revolutionizes your sitting position. Human Tool better posture saddle chair is simple yet innovative ball construction makes the motion of the seat possible to all the directions, so you will always have a right, vigorous and upright position! Compatible with home and office chairs, kitchen seats, classroom chairs or even floor!
This portable saddle stool module from Humantool allows you to quickly and easily convert your existing office chair or other seat into a saddle stool.
Designed and manufactured in Finland using hard-wearing high-quality materials, the three-part system includes saddle, base and an underlay to secure the surfaces.
The saddle comes in rose or turquoise fabric and has an integral swinging motion which activates and works core muscles.
- Light and easy to carry between locations
- Swing motion encourages active sitting and a strong core
- No need to buy multiple saddle chairs if you work in several places
- Some reviewers didn’t like the sensation of instability they experienced with this stool
Final thoughts on saddle stools for the office
Saddle stools promote active sitting and greater movement during the working day, making them a a great choice of office seating.
If you’re looking for a new office chair, why not try a saddle stool and see what a difference it could make to your posture and comfort?
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API