If you want to find out more about the best 2021 saddle stools, then our article can get you started. In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for saddle stools
- How to select the best saddle stool for your individual needs
- Some of the key features and functions you can find in saddle stools
Let’s get started!
Our Top 5 Saddle Stools
What is a saddle stool?
Saddle stools have seats designed and constructed like horse-riding saddles.
When saddle sitting you should be in the same posture as if riding a horse, with your core muscles activated to hold your torso upright while maintaining your spine in a neutral ’S’ curve.
Saddle stools are generally designed ergonomically, to maximize good posture, ease of movement and sitter comfort.
Read More >> Are saddle stools comfortable?
They can be used in most situations instead of standard chairs and may be a good choice for those who experience back pain or discomfort from sitting.
What are the different types of saddle stool?
There are a number of different types of saddle stool. All have the same core design, with a saddle-shaped seat on a stool stem.
The stool might also have a back panel/s (a saddle chair), a split-saddle, armrests, an instrument holder, a footrest, or wheels on the bottom.
Saddle stools come with varying levels of adjustability from fully adjustable, through partly adjustable, to non-adjustable / fixed.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Leather Saddle Chairs (2021 Review)
Most saddle stools can adjust seat height, with many also allowing variation in seat width or angle of tilt. Other modifications are generally only found in higher-end stools.
How does a saddle stool work?
When saddle sitting, your legs should be astride the stool with angles of roughly 135 degrees at the knees and between thighs and abdomen.
This is in contrast to the position in a standard chair where the lower legs are perpendicular to the seat surface and floor.
If your saddle stool has wheels, you can push it between locations with your feet. And if you have a footrest ring, feet can be drawn up onto this bar as needed.
If you have a back panel, you can rest your back on it between bouts of sitting straight.
What to look for in the best saddle stool?
Individual height and weight, specific activities and personal preferences are all important factors when choosing your saddle stool.
A seat tilt function can be valuable if you move frequently between sitting to standing, and a wider seat could be more comfortable if you have a broader body.
More adjustable stools can often be better modified to your body’s needs but fully adjustable stools often cost significantly more.
If you are heavier, you will need to check the maximum weight capacity of a stool as these can also vary a great deal between brands and models .
Saddle stools with a split or two-part saddle are preferred by some men and anyone with tailbone pain or discomfort because the split saddle puts less pressure on the perineal or pubic area.
Your floor surface might also be a relevant consideration and there are different types of caster available for hard floors, carpets, deep-pile carpets etc..
as well as stationery caps or flat bases for those who don’t want a moving seat at all.
Best Saddle Stools Reviewed
#1 Best all round option: HAG Capisco Puls Adjustable Standing Desk Chair
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 21.5" – 30" with 15.75" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco Puls Plus fully cushioned and narrow saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
The fully adjustable and award-winning design of the HAG Capisco Puls saddle chair beats most of the saddle stool competition.
Seat height ranges from 21.5" – 30”. Seat depth, back height and back tilt can also be modified to boost ergonomics and comfort.
Further accessories including a footrest ring can be bought online.
With options to sit forwards, backwards or sideways, and ease of shifting from sitting to standing, the HAG Capisco Puls encourages movement throughout the day.
- Multiple sitting positions - forward, reversed or sideways
- Backrest with integrated elbow supports
- Environmentally friendly - made from 50% recycled material, and is 90% recyclable.
- Unsuitable for some heavier users - maximum weight limit 250lb
#2 Best budget option: HOMCOM Ergonomic Rolling Saddle Stool
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: This rolling bar stool is fully height adjustable from 19.5" to 24" on a galvanized steel hydraulic lift and an easy to reach lever for you to adjust to the height you need.
- COMFORTABLE: The faux leather ergonomic saddle seat can better support your legs and spine, reducing joint and muscle pressure, and is especially good for jobs where sitting is mandatory for long periods of time.
Excellent value seat from HOMCOM offering all key saddle stool features for well under $100.
In color choices of dark grey or yellow, the stool height is adjustable from 19.5" - 24” and has a maximum weight capacity of up to 300lb.
- Low price
- Solid construction
- Easy assembly
- According to some reviews the seat may be an inch lower than advertised
#3 Best high end option: Salli Twin Saddle Seat
- Patented split-seat saddle design cools and relieves pressures for improved genital health in both women and men.
- Heavy duty 3mm steel seat plate covered with high quality contouring foam in your choice of color leather.
The Salli Twin Saddle Seat has a patented split-saddle which is designed to support genital health.
Fully adjustable with seat height ranging between 22.5”-30” to fit users of heights from 5’1 to 6’1 - further options are available for shorter or taller users.
Wide choice of fabrics and colors available, as well as frame color options and casters to suit your flooring and activity.
- High levels of adjustment and customization possible
- Handcrafted in Europe to a very high quality standard
- Ten year warranty for the seat and five year warranty for other components
- Seat width cannot be adjusted on this model
- More expensive than other brands of split saddle chair
#4 Best active sitting option: Varier Move Tilting Saddle Stool
- The original Tilting Saddle Stool designed by Per Die in 1985
- Perfect match for a height-adjustable table
Designed in Norway and built in Europe, Varier’s NEAT certified tilting saddle stool can be used for standing, leaning or sitting at a desk or other work surface.
Seat height is adjustable from 22” - 32.25” with a maximum weight capacity of 242lb. Available in four colors.
The convex wood base tilts with your body, encouraging changes of position and keeping you active while strengthening your core and back.
Using the Vario Move raises resting heart rate by at least 10%. This short YouTube video review of the Varier Move tilting saddle stool gives an overview of its benefits:
- Encourages active sitting
- Generous height adjustment range over more than 10 inches
- Simple tool-free assembly from three parts
- No wheels - not the right option if you want to roll between locations
- Some reviewers found the stool uncomfortable on their sit bones
#5 Best option for heavier users: SALONFACTORY Saddle Stool with Wheels
- 🙋♀️【Thickened saddle cushion】The ergonomic saddle cushion seat is compressed with high-density sponge, covered with high-quality PU leather, and the seat cushion is thickened by 5mm, making it more comfortable to sit. Saddle stool provide lasting support and comfort and help reduce pressure on the back or spine
- 🔕【Silent Sliding Rollers】Our saddle chair comes with durable polyurethane chair casters. Scrolling is very smooth. Not only will it allow you to move around your workstation without making a noise, but without getting caught in the trash on the floor. The rolling stools with wheels protects hardwood floors, slate, tile, carpet and other soft floors.
This Salonfactory rolling saddle stool has several features which make it a good option for heavier users including a 17” wide saddle, maximum weight capacity of 500lb, and heavy duty 360° swivel casters.
The seat height can be adjusted from 19” - 25” and the stool comes in three colors: blue, black, and purple.
- Low price
- Heavy duty construction suitable for bigger users
- 30 day free refund and return
- According to some reviewers the stool may be too low for very tall users
- Some reports of components breaking during normal use
Final thoughts on saddle stools
Saddle stools are a great option for promoting active sitting and maintaining a healthy and ergonomic posture while working, Saddle stools with wheels can do even more to make regular sitting movements easier on your body.
When you first try saddle sitting, it may be tiring on your body unless you already have a strong core and upright posture.
Several manufacturers recommend beginning with one to two hours of saddle stool use and building up gradually to full use over a period of weeks.
Once you have enough strength in the core abdominal and back muscles, you will be able to hold your body upright with less effort and saddle sitting should become more natural and enjoyable.
Last update on 2022-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API