If you want to know all about the top saddle stools or chairs for taller people in 2021, then read our short and informative article. In this product review guide, I will go over…
- My top picks for saddle chairs or stools for taller people
- How to choose the best saddle chair or stool for someone taller than average
- The most important features and functions to look for in saddle seats for taller people
Let’s get started!
Our top 5 saddle chairs and stools for taller people
- Perch Saddle Stool with Back (Our Top Pick)
- FRNIAMC Heavy-duty Rolling Saddle Chair (Best Budget)
- HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Saddle Chair (Best High End)
What is a saddle stool or chair?
Saddle stools and chairs are designed with a saddle-shaped seat.
Sitters are held in the same position as when on horseback, activating the core muscles to hold the body upright, distribute its weight ergonomically, and maintain the natural curve of the spine.
Read More >> Are saddle stools good for your back?
At home, in an office or in many other work environments, saddle stools or chairs can boost good posture, increase regular movement and keep the sitter comfortable.
They are often a good choice for people with existing back pain and/or those who work actively from a seated position (for example, hairdressers, dentists, or tattoo artists).
What are the different types of saddle chair or stool?
Saddle chairs and stools can have a range of functions and features as well as the characteristic seat.
When a back panel is added, a saddle stool is generally called a saddle chair. Both stools and chairs can have split-saddles, arm and footrests, wheels or other modifications.
Adjustability varies between brands and models and is often proportional to price.
Most saddle chairs or stools allow you to adjust the seat height, with many featuring adjustment to seat width or tilt, and some offering even more adjustments.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Saddle Chairs with Backrests
The height range of a saddle seat will be particularly important for taller people and should be considered alongside your own height and the height of your working surface/s.
A chair or stool which is too high or too low for your body and environment could affect your safety, working efficiency and comfort.
How does a saddle chair or stool work if you’re tall?
Saddle chairs and stools work for taller people just as for those of other sizes, although it is more important for you to properly adjust seat and desk height etc..
Guidance on ergonomic set-up from credible sources can help you do this correctly.
In sitting position on a saddle seat your legs should lie on either side of the seat with feet either firmly on the floor or a footrest ring.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Split Saddle Chairs (2021 Review)
Unlike standard chairs where your legs are perpendicular to the floor, you should maintain a bend of around 135 degrees at your knee and between upper thigh and abdomen.
What to look for in saddle stools and chairs for taller people?
The first thing to check should be the height range of any saddle stool or chair.
Getting this right is vital to make sure you will be in an ergonomic posture and able to access your work surfaces without any strain.
Some saddle seat brands have specific models or modifications intended to serve those whose height is outside the standard range (e.g. several sizes of riser cylinder).
Other saddle stools or chairs might have a sufficiently wide range of height adjustability to suit someone taller.
Thinking beyond height, also consider your weight, working activities and preferences around comfort or style.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Leather Saddle Chairs (2021 Review)
For example, if you’re moving frequently from a sitting to standing position, a seat which tilts can make this easier.
Wider saddles can be more comfortable for those with larger bodies.
Similarly, split saddles exert less pressure on the perineal and pubic regions and may be suited to male anatomy and those with tailbone injuries.
Best Saddle Chairs or Stools for Taller People Reviewed
#1 Best all round option: Perch Saddle Stool with Back
- FOR WOOD, CERAMIC OR TILE FLOORS A quarter inch glossy rubberized coating encompasses the wheel perimeter of our HARD FLOOR CASTERS, allowing this height adjustable chair to roll on hardwood, ceramic, and tile floors without scratching or damaging the floor’s surface.
- Back: Adjustable back 15.5"w x 9"h for added support. Adjusts up, down, forward and back. Seat: Form-fitting saddle style seat that takes your weight while allowing you to stay on your feet.
The generous height range of the Perch saddle chair is particularly well suited to taller individuals, rising from 25”-34.5”.
Both seat and back panel can be raised or tilted. Comes with a choice of wheel options for hard or soft flooring, and stationery caps.
- Excellent upper height range for a chair of this price
- 12-Year workmanship warranty, and lifetime guarantee on the cylinders
- USA-produced by a Colorado-based family firm
- No color choice - only available in black
- 4.6/5 rating on Amazon but only five reviews received to date
#2 Best budget option: FRNIAMC Heavy-duty Rolling Saddle Chair
- Save Your Back From Painful- The ergonomic "saddle" shape seat design corrects your posture to be straight and upright thus reducing the stress of neck and back, provide extra comfort for long-hours sitting works
- Seat Height Adjustable-The stool chair height overall 20-29.5'', taller than most other saddle chairs
The FRNIAMC saddle chair has a seat which can be adjusted between 20” and 29.5’’, a high upper limit for a budget price chair.
The chair also has a tilting backrest and a 15” saddle width.
- Very good price for a saddle chair whose seat rises as far as 29.5”
- Heavy duty chair with a high maximum weight capacity of 450lb for heavier users
- Quiet PU wheels
- Seat doesn’t tilt
- Some users report damaged or non-working components
#3 Best high end option: HAG Capisco Adjustable Standing Desk Saddle Chair
- PERFECT FOR: Shifting between sitting and standing at an adjustable or standing height desk – seat height 22.5" – 33" with 18.5" backrest
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Award winning design, Capisco's soft and wide saddle seat promotes healthy blood flow and encourages movement to sit forwards, backwards or sideways
Both highly adjustable and highly ergonomic, the HAG Capisco saddle chair’s seat height range of 22.5" – 33” is well suited to taller users.
Seat depth and tilt are also adjustable, along with back height and back tilt.
YouTube has a useful user guide to HAG Capisco saddle chair features and functions:
- Fully adjustable with high upper height limit of 33”
- Excellent range of customization options for color, fabric and/or frame
- Chair design allows for forward, sideways or reverse sitting
- Suitable for taller but not heavier users - maximum weight capacity is only 250lb
#4 Best active sitting option: Varier Move Tilting Saddle Stool
- The original Tilting Saddle Stool designed by Per Die in 1985
- Perfect match for a height-adjustable table
This Norwegian-designed NEAT certified tilting saddle stool from Varier can be used for standing, leaning or sitting at a desk or other work surface.
Using the Varier Move stool raises the resting heart rate by at least 10%. Seat height is adjustable from 22” - 32.25”.
- Generous height adjustment range with high upper limit of 32.25”
- Promotes more active sitting and strengthens core muscles
- Manufactured in Europe from high-quality materials
- No wheels - for stationary use only
- A tilting saddle seat is uncomfortable for some users
#5 Best split-seat model: Kanewell Twin Adjustable Saddle Stool with Backrest
- Improves back posture and enables virtually effortless movement about a work space
- Patented split-saddle reduces pressure points and improves airflow for a cooler and more comfortable experience, especially during longer periods of concentrated work.
This Kanewell split-seat saddle chair is an excellent mid-price choice for the taller user, especially taller men or anyone with tailbone pain.
Three adjustable height options available for all sizes, with the largest (seat height range of 27”-37”) intended for those 5’10” and taller.
Seat width and angle tilt are also adjustable. Solid, patented design with good-looking leather upholstery.
- ‘Large’ size option available with seat reaching up to 37” height
- Leather upholstery at a mid-range price
- The backrest panel can be removed if not needed
- Maximum user weight is only 250lb - lower than several comparable chairs
- Seat and back can only tilt at the same time, not individually
Final thoughts on saddle stools and chairs for taller people
If you’re above average height and looking for a seat which is both ergonomic and comfortable then why not try a saddle stool or chair?
You can find several good quality and highly rated saddle seats on the market which are well suited to the taller user.
Look out particularly for chairs or stools offering a wide range of seat height adjustment, several sizes including one for taller people, or the option to add a taller cylinder to the riser mechanism.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API