Exercise is important for everyone’s health, but there are some amazing benefits for seniors who choose to exercise regularly.
An under desk elliptical machine may be the easiest way to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine.
This article will go over
- The best under desk ellipticals for seniors
- How these machines work
- What to look for when shopping for one
Let’s dive in!
Our Top 5 Best Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors
- LifePro Under Desk Elliptical Trainer(Our Top Pick)
- Hausse Portable Exercise Pedal Bike (Best Budget)
- Cubii Pro Seated Under Desk Elliptical Machine (Best High End)
What are Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors?
Elliptical machines allow you to exercise at your own pace. They allow you to have good motion in your legs without being too hard on the joints and muscles.
They are great for your overall physical health and can be a great way to keep seniors exercising comfortably.
Under desk ellipticals are lightweight and small enough to fit underneath your desk. This can allow you to get exercise while you are working, or playing, at your desk.
This can be a great option for seniors as they read the news, play games, email friends and family, or do daily tasks.
Check out this video to learn more about the benefits of using an elliptical machine!
What Are the Different Types of Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors?
There are some different types of under desk ellipticals and each one offers its own unique benefits.
In addition to the traditional elliptical devices, there are sitting/standing ellipticals, pedal bike ellipticals, and resistance ellipticals.
Traditional Under Desk Ellipticals
This is the primary type with a design that all the other types utilize in one way or another. It has two pedals for your feet and you can move your feet in the oval shape to burn calories, strengthen muscles, improve flexibility, and more.
Not only that, but since you do not have to put your entire body weight on your legs, you can achieve health benefits without the soreness that may come with other exercise options.
Many elliptical options are designed to be used standing in addition to sitting. Standing can have some great health benefits and this allows you to improve upon them.
They are made for comfort and stability. This is a great option for those who use a standing desk, but also want to sit some throughout the day.
In fact, that is the healthiest way to utilize a standing desk and it is also best to move as much as possible which is where the elliptical comes in.
Pedal Bike Ellipticals
These are different from traditional elliptical machines because they have straps to hold your foot to the pedals and work like an exercise bike.
However, they do still move in the elliptical shape and can be great for your core, legs, and cardiovascular system.
They sometimes have a larger range of motion that may be difficult to achieve while they are underneath a desk, but some people still find that they work fine.
Many options have a resistance feature so that you can make the workout more difficult or easier depending on your own needs.
This is a great feature for seniors because it allows you to stay at a low-impact, but beneficial intensity level.
The resistance is usually applied using a knob. They often use magnetic systems to create stronger resistance for the user.
Adjustable Stride Ellipticals
Some under desk ellipticals have an adjustability feature. This allows the user to set the correct range of motion for their body type and natural stride.
This can be beneficial for seniors so that the range of motion is enough for the health benefits, but will also not hurt their body.
How Do Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors Work?
Ellipticals work by providing motion that mimics walking, but also reduces the strain on the joints and muscles.
In comparison to running or walking, which can be very hard on the body as far as impact goes, ellipticals offer a similar range of motion without the jolt.
The movement on an elliptical machine is similar to the natural movement when walking. This makes it natural for the hips, ankles, and knees.
Also, when compared to other types of machines, ellipticals may be better at preventing osteoporosis.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Elliptical Desks
Under Desk ellipticals are small enough to fit underneath a desk while still providing the user with a full range of motion.
They are also usually mobile because they are compact and lightweight. Some even have handles so that you can take them with you easily.
What to Look for in the Best Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors?
To get a high-quality elliptical machine that works for you, it is important to consider some different factors.
Not all ellipticals are good for every person. There are also some that are more well made than others.
Durability is important if you want to be able to use your elliptical for longer than a year or two. Some cheaper options will break quickly, especially with regular, daily use.
However, price is not always an indicator of durability and there are some well-made, affordable options.
You should check the weight limit, even for traditional under desk ellipticals.
You may not be putting your entire weight on the machine, but some may not be able to take as much of the pressure from legs as others.
Shape Of Motion:
The shape of the motion on the elliptical is important as well. You want to make sure that the motion will support your natural movement.
You also need to make sure that it is not too stressful on your knees, hips, or anything else.
You need to make sure that the resistance is good for you and what you want to use the elliptical for. An adjustable resistance may be a good option as well.
This is especially true if more than one person will be using the under desk elliptical device.
You have to make sure that the elliptical will work for your body and your desk. This means that your legs should have their full range of motion on the under desk elliptical without bumping into the underside of the desk.
However, some seniors use under desk ellipticals because they are mobile and do not even use them beneath a desk.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Under Desk Bike for Weight Loss (2021 Review)
As far as mobility is concerned, you will want to make sure that the option is compact and easily moveable. You also do not want one that weighs too much if you plan on moving it around often.
Many seniors are also concerned about their feet sliding off. If that is a fear of yours, then be sure to get one with high-quality non-slip pedals. Some pedals also have straps that prevent any slippage.
Finally, you may want to purchase one that has a quiet mechanism. Most are not very loud at all, but if you need a quieter one then be sure to take that into consideration.
Best Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors
#1 LifePro Under Desk Elliptical Trainer
- BOOST YOUR FITNESS - our professionally designed under desk bike can help you burn calories, decrease stress, tone your legs and improve your mood - all while sitting! Just use the bike to pedal at your desk or while relaxing at home.
- BONUS FEATURES - we added many free add ons to our elliptical - enjoy the yoga mat and resistance band for your workouts. Use the castor stoppers to stop your chair from moving while pedaling or use the tether to secure the elliptical to your chair. It even has batteries included!
This mobile elliptical is great for seniors who want to incorporate exercise into their routine while sitting down.
It has adjustable resistance and tracks your progress on a monitor screen. The pedals are large and have non-slip rubber surfaces.
It is compact and has a handle for transportability. It even comes with a lifetime warranty.
- 8 resistance levels
- Lifetime warranty
- Mobile and lightweight
- May be louder than some
- Not great for hard floors
#2 Hausse Portable Exercise Pedal Bike
- Mini bike pedal exerciser is used for arms and legs cycling exercise at office or home to increasing circulation and relieving tension. Product Dimensions: 13.7" x 15.7" x 11.6".
- Multifunction LCD monitor display, easy to read LCD screen displays RPM, time, speed, distance and calories burned. You can also reset by long press the red button. An extra strap is provided for securing.
This under desk pedal bike elliptical has adjustable resistance levels and has straps to ensure that your foot does not slip from the pedal.
It has a monitor that shows the RPM, time, speed, distance, and calories burned. It is also lightweight and has a handle for mobility.
- Displays different data
- Adjustable resistance
- Movement is not smooth
- Not very stable
- No high resistance options
#3 Cubii Pro Seated Under Desk Elliptical Machine
- CUBII PRO UNDER DESK ELLIPTICAL- Get fit while you sit! Cubii PRO is an elliptical machine that's like an under desk bike, under desk treadmill, or pedal exerciser that lets you burn calories, get fit and exercise easily. With Bluetooth Sync.
- WORK FROM HOME FITNESS - Now you can exercise while you work from home - right at your desk! Burn calories, lose weight, and feel great with Cubii elliptical machines for home use
This elliptical is compact and can sync to a mobile app so that users can track their exercise and their goals.
The mechanism is very quiet so that you can read or watch television in peace while you exercise. This is a durable, high-quality machine that also has 8 resistance levels.
- 8 Resistance Levels
- Quiet mechanism
- Not great for taller seniors
- More expensive than other options
- App has some issues
#4 GREARDEN Under Desk Elliptical Machine
- ????Whisper Quiet and Compact Design : Designed specifically to be whisper quiet, You can enjoy the convenience of working out without disturbing those around you. This mini home trainer is compact and lightweight designed, which makes it easy to use and move in any home or office space. Tips: If this under desk exercise bike is loud and squeaky, we recommend you use some lubricating oil to solve this problem.
- ????Multiple Movement Options: Depending on your needs and abilities, the In Motion E1000 Compact Strider can be used sitting or standing. Pedal forward or reverse to target different muscles. Note: This display monitor couldn't be upsided down presently, we recommend that you sit in the opposite position to the picture so that you can read out.
This is a quiet and compact option. You can also use this sitting or standing and even use it in reverse. It has a monitor that tracks time, distance, calories burned, and more.
The pedals are large and have good anti-slip surfaces. It also has resistance adjustment and a handle to take it with you anywhere.
- Quiet mechanism
- Sitting and Standing
- Anti-slip pedals
- Resistance is not great
- Difficult assembly
#5 Leasbar Under Desk Elliptical Exercise Machine
- [Low to no impact on your knees] Compared to the traditional exercise bike or stepper which simply go around or up and down, the elliptical motion track designed in the elliptical machine can not only effectively reduces joint injury, but also minimize back and hip discomforts. The extended pedals with anti-skid texture are suitable for all size feet. They are able to go either clockwise or counterclockwise as you want.
- [Visualized Workout] With the help of the built-in digital monitor you could track real time calories burnt, strides and distance. Super easy to follow along with your workout progress. The elliptical exercise machine is equipped with a stepless resistance regulation system. Just with a simple twist you could adjust the intensity of your strides.
This elliptical has a quiet mechanism and a monitor that keeps track of your workouts. It also has an adjustable resistance feature.
This option is also very study and compact for use under a desk or another small area. It also has a smooth range of motion which is great for seniors.
- Smooth motion
- Quiet mechanism
- Low-quality monitor
Final Thoughts on Under Desk Ellipticals for Seniors
Ellipticals are a great option for seniors because they do not hurt the knees, hips, and back like other exercise machines do.
Under desk ellipticals can be used while you go about your daily routine and can help you improve your flexibility and strength. There are also tons of options so it is not hard to find one that will suit your body and your budget.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API