Standing desks can be quite large and may not even fit in your designated work area.
For tight spaces, you may want to get a thinner standing desk so that you can use it properly.
This article covers:
- The 5 best narrow standing desks
- What they are and how they work
- What to look for when shopping for the best option
Let’s check out the best ones!
Best Narrow Standing Desks
- Stand Up Desk Store Crank Adjustable Height Single Column (Our Top Pick)
- SDADI 2 Inches Carpet Wheels Mobile Standing Desk (Best Budget)
- Stand Steady Tranzendesk 55 in Standing Desk (Best High End)
What are Narrow Standing Desks?
If you have a small work area then you may believe that you are out of luck when it comes to upgrading to a high quality standing desk.
However, that is not true and you can get the benefits associated with standing even if you only have a little space to spare.
Narrow standing desks are compact and can fit in smaller areas with low width. These will work even in cubicle spaces.
They are also typically more lightweight and easier to move than other options. Some people even like to use them along with their existing desk because they fit in the space available.
This allows you to sit at your traditional desk and then stand and use the narrow standing desk.
In fact, alternating between sitting and standing is the healthiest way to utilize a standing desk.
Watch this video to learn how to make your own narrow standing desk!
Types of Narrow Standing Desks
There are several different types of narrow standing desks to be aware of.
First, you have the standard narrow standing desk, the narrow depth, and narrow width standing desks.
Then you have mobile options and standing desk converters to work with.
This option is the standard type of narrow standing desk. This type has a narrow depth and a narrow width. This makes it fit in even the smallest spaces.
They may have two legs, but many options have one. This allows them to fit in even smaller work areas.
This type has a regular width, but the depth is thinner than regular standing desks.
This means that it will fit in an area easily while you still get to have the length of the desktop for your work materials.
This type has a narrow width, but a standard depth.
This is a good option for corners, shared offices, and cubicles. The desktop may be shorter, but people often keep things behind their computer monitor or laptop to save space.
This type is more lightweight than other options and often only has one leg. They have wheels and are easy to move around.
For those who move around at work, this is a great option.
If you have a traditional desk in the limited amount of space that you have at work, then this may be the best option for you.
These sit on top of a traditional desk to make it a standing desk. They are often adjustable to suit your standing and sitting height.
How Do Narrow Standing Desks Work?
The size of a desk is important because not only does it have to hold your work materials, but it also has to fit in your work space.
Narrow standing desks come in a bunch of different shapes and sizes to fit in the space you have available and to still offer you room to accommodate your computer and more.
A lot of these types make good use of the room available by shrinking down the frame.
They may even have one leg instead of two and may have smaller feet to shrink the size down even more.
Many options will adjust just like standard sized standing desks do so that you can sit and stand at comfortable desktop heights.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Standing Desk Frames (2021 Review)
What to Look for in the Best Narrow Standing Desks?
In addition to the price of the product, the adjustability, and the type, you should take some other things into consideration when you are shopping for a narrow standing desk.
You need to take stability into consideration. Since narrow standing desks often have only a single leg or have smaller frames or shorter feet, then stability can be a concern.
The cheapest options may not be very stable, but there are still affordable options that offer a steady surface.
For narrow standing desks, the size is possibly the most important concern.
You should always double check the size you have available and make sure that the width and depth are suitable.
In addition, you want to make sure that your work materials will adequately fit on top of the desktop.
The size of the feet is also important. Sometimes the size of the feet on a standing desk go beyond the width or depth of the desktop.
Also, if you plan on sitting at the desk you want to make sure that the feet will not be in the way.
Since the frame on a narrow standing desk is often thinner or smaller, you will want to make sure that it is durable.
This is where a crossbar comes in. A crossbar will not make a standing desk thicker or wider, but it will add stability and durability.
Finally, you may want to consider a two tiered option. This will allow you to have more room on the desktop without compromising the space that the narrow standing desk will take up.
A lot of people use the upper tier for their monitor and the lower tiers for keyboards and other materials.
A keyboard tray may also be smart, but remember that they can make the depth larger on the desk so you want to make sure that it will still fit in your available space.
Best Narrow Standing Desks
- Spacious yet space-saving workstation; plenty of room for a laptop and paperwork in a mobile and compact configuration
- Hand crank height adjustment is simple, strong, and durable; when not in use, crank handle can be retracted
This standing desk makes great use of space and only has a single column. The desk is 40 inches and the height adjusts with a hand crank.
It is also great for mobility and has four caster wheels. The table is steady and durable and the desktop can support 154 pounds. It is also very stylish and you can also get it in an even smaller 36 inch option.
- Single column and narrow desktop
- Caster wheels for mobility
- Hand crank adjustment
- Cheap desktop material
- May wobble slightly when rolling
- May not adjust low enough for tall people to sit
- It’s neck&spine pain killer when you use with standing mode.The height can be adjusted from 27.5-45.3 inches(model in picture is 5’5”),suitable for most male/female user.You can put your computer and other office supplies separately with the separated front panel and back panel.Your computer will be well protected by the stopper on the front panel.Or,it’s can be change into an 23.6*23.6 inches table if you prefer to work on seating desk mode.
- 2 inches ABS mute wheels with locking function,can be moved on the carpet smoothly.To keep it steady,all you need to do is lock all the 4 wheels gently.
This is a great narrow standing desk and it has two adjustable platforms. It has 2 inch caster wheels and a stable design that incorporates crossbars.
The height adjusts from 27.5 to 45.3 inches and it is made of steel. It has a power cord holder on the panel and is lightweight, compact, and mobile.
- Two adjustable desktops
- Caster wheels
- Height adjustable from 27.5 to 45.3 inches
- Manually adjustable
- Difficult assembly
- May wobble at higher settings
- EASY HEIGHT ADJUSTMENTS: Take a stand for your health and say goodbye to the pain and stiffness that comes from sitting all day! This stand-up desk seamlessly transitions from a sitting to standing height with an easy-turn crank, so you can adjust it to your perfect ergonomic height
- EXTRA TALL AND SPACIOUS: The Tranzendesk is a 55” full size standing desk that can adjust up to 46” – perfect for anyone up to 6’4” tall! With nine square feet of desktop space, (plus a bonus shelf) this desk provides plenty of room for your monitors, laptop, keyboard, accessories, and more
This desk is 55 inches long, but it makes good use of the depth space so that it has more surface area for how narrow it is.
It has two tiers so that you can fit more on the work surface without the depth getting in your way. It adjusts up to 46 inches using a hand crank system.
You can also get this desk with one or two drawers.
- Hand crank adjustment up to 46 inches
- Two tiers
- Durable and strong
- Does not have a narrow width, only narrow depth
- Crossbar may constrict room when sitting
- May wobble at higher settings
- Made for Fluid Workspaces: Sit or stand freely while you work with the FlexiSpot M7 28'' standing desk riser. It turns any desk into a standing desk so you can adapting postures for max comfort and productivity.
- Ergonomic 2-Tier Design：Our 2-tier design offers ergonomic excellence for reading and typing! The 28.4'' width of top tier holds a monitor up to 27'' with ease, the roomy base tier of 12.1'' depth holds a standard keyboard and mouse, or a 13'' laptop.
This standing desk converter has two tiers for different materials. The top tier can hold a monitor up to 27 inches and the lower tier can hold a keyboard and mouse or a small laptop.
It can adjust from 4.7 to 19.7 inches using a pneumatic system. It is durable and holds up to 33 pounds.
Finally, it comes with a 5 year warranty on the desktop and the frame and a 3 year warranty on the pneumatic system. It is also available in several colors and sizes.
- Two tiers
- Pneumatic adjustment from 4.7 to 19.7 inches
- Durable and holds 33 pounds
- May wobble some
- Poor desktop material
- 【Ergonomic Adjustable Design】 Equipped with dual high quality gas rods, the computer desk can be adjusted within the range from 27.5” to 42”. Thus, you can lift it up and down to fulfill your sitting or standing requirement. No wonder, such ergonomic design extremely relieves your fatigue throughout a long workday.
- 【Smooth Rolling Casters for Convenient Mobility】 There are 4 universal casters on the feet, intended to help you move the laptop desk from room to room effortlessly. And 2 of caters are lockable, so that you can keep it in position. More, wear-resistant caters can roll on different surface silently, while causing no damage to your floor.
This desk adjusts using a pneumatic system from 27.5 to 42 inches and is mobile with 4 caster wheels.
The frame is made of steel and has a compact desktop measuring 37.5 by 20.5 inches. It also comes in a variety of different colors to fit your style.
- Caster wheels
- Pneumatic adjustment from 27.5 to 42 inches
- Difficult assembly
- Only two casters lock
- Lever adjustment
Final Thoughts on Narrow Standing Desks
Narrow standing desks are often a good choice for those who have limited space.
They use two tiers, a single leg, smaller feet, and smaller desktops to fit comfortably in smaller areas.
There are also options that are narrow in width and depth as well as standing desk converters that may be good options for you.
Last update on 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API