Standing desks can be expensive, but you can reduce the cost by buying a frame and using a desktop you already have or making a new one out of your lumber.
Making your desk can also add personality and by buying the right frame you won’t lose any functionality.
In this article, you will learn more about:
- 5 great sets of standing desk legs you can use for your desktop including affordable and high-end options
- Why making your desk is a good choice
- What to look for in a standing desk base
To start us off, here are our:
Top 5 Standing Desk Frames
What Are Standing Desk Frames?
Standing desk frames are the entire base of the desk without the desktop.
They are generally significantly cheaper than buying the entire desk and lots of people purchase them and put them on their desktop or buy a desktop separately.
Sometimes, people have a standing desk for a long time and the adjustment mechanism wears out, but they still like their desktops and don’t want to replace the entire thing.
Instead, you can remove the desktop from the old base and attach it to a new one.
This way you can enjoy the benefits of standing without breaking the bank and it just takes a little work!
You can also get a high-quality adjusting desk for a reasonable price so you can go from sitting to standing in no time!
Watch this to learn more about matching a desktop with a frame!
What Are the Different Types of Standing Desk Frames?
There are a lot of different variations on desk frames depending on the shape, the number of legs, or the adjustable mechanism.
Most standing desk frames have two legs with a support bar between them that the desktop will attach to.
This is for any standard desk and generally will be able to adjust to the width you want.
Three-leg standing desk bases are used for l-shaped or corner desks. Most of them are adjustable so you can fit the right size desktop onto them.
You will be able to adjust both sides of the l-shape separately so that you can use two different sizes for the desktops that you attach.
This type isn’t very common, but you should still know they are out there for those who are interested.
This type is very sturdy and each set of two legs will hold up a separate desktop. This allows you to adjust them to different heights, or combine them at the same height for a larger surface.
Most standing desk frames are electric which means they adjust with the push of a button.
A lot of models also have programmable height buttons to make your life easier.
Some frames will be manually adjustable which means you will pull a lever or turn a crank to adjust the height of your desk.
They tend to be cheaper and quieter than electronic ones but still adjust easily. A lot of them use a pneumatic system to make the adjustment smooth.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Standing Desks Made in the U.S.A. (2021 Review)
How Do Standing Desk Frames Work?
By taking away the expensive, and sometimes unreasonably priced, desktop and using your wood, you take a ton of the price out of buying a standing desk.
This money can even be used to buy a more powerful, quieter, or faster adjusting frame.
If you go the electric route, make sure that your desk will be placed near an electrical outlet.
The frame itself is an important component in the functionality of the desk because it is the part that makes it a standing desk.
Then, depending on your budget, style, and requirements you can choose the best desktop to go with it.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desk Frames
To make sure you get a suitable base to make a standing desk with, you need to check some important things.
You need to make sure to get one that suits your specific needs and will last a long time.
You should choose the type of frame that you want to be based on the number of legs and type of adjustment.
Most of the bases will be able to adjust to the width you need them to, but if you want a desk to fit into the corner of a room you should look at 3 legged l-shaped desk frames.
You also need to make sure the height range will comfortably fit your standing and sitting height. This is especially important if you are taller or shorter than average.
The adjustment mechanism is also very important. You want to make sure that it adjusts fast enough for you.
If you plan on adjusting it several times a day you should probably invest in a faster mechanism. It may also be important to you to choose an electric frame.
You need to choose a model that has a good weight limit. If you have heavier work materials, you will need a higher weight limit.
You should keep in mind that the weight limit while adjusting is often different, and lower than the overall weight limit.
To make sure you have a sturdy desk, check the materials that the frame is made out of.
You can also look at the size of the feet because the larger the feet the less likely it is that the table will be wobbly.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Hand Crank Standing Desks (2021 Review)
Best Standing Desk Frames Reviewed
#1 TOPSKY Dual Motor Electric Adjustable Standing Computer Desk for Home and Office
- TOPSKY DF02.01: This dual-motor electric desk is ideal for you to set up the comfortable positions and create your own desk space. It is quick and easy to adjust the height and switch sit-stand posture. This desk liberates you from unhealthy working habit and enhances your working efficiency.
- Dual-Motor: Powerful dual-motor lift system for adjusting height smoothly, evenly and quickly at a speed of 1’’/second with low noise. The quiet and fast movement improves focus and efficiency.
The TOPSKY frame is one of the top-rated standing desk frames, this dual-motor electric desk is ideal for you to set up comfortable positions and create your own desk space.
You will be able to create your desk aesthetics and liberate from unhealthy working habits and enhances your working efficiency.
With the powerful dual-motor lift system on this frame, it will be quick and easy to adjust the height and switch sit-stand posture, adjusting height smoothly, evenly, and quickly at a speed of 1’’/second with low noise to improve focus and efficiency.
The frame itself is made of a heavy-duty powder-coated steel frame that is stable and solid enough to allow 225lbs/102kg load capacity which is the perfect strong support for your ideal working space.
As far as tabletop options go, this frame can support up to 70.8”x31.5"/180x80cm tabletop for daily use. The height of the frame is adjustable from 27.6’’ to 47.3’ and the width from 43’’ to 59’’.
- Dual motor
- 225 lb weight limit- Strong frame
- LCD and memory presets
- The cable could be longer
#2 VIVO Black Manual Height Adjustable Frame with Hand Crank
- Frame Dimensions and Compatibility - Frame Length: 39" to 61.5", Frame Height: 29" to 48". Recommended table top measurements: Length of 40” to 80”, Width of 24 to 32”, and a Thickness of 3/4” and greater.
- Hand Crank System - Simple crank system using minimal effort to adjust to your desired sitting and standing height.
This sturdy frame has a large height range that comfortably fits almost anyone. It is hand-crank operated and can hold 132 lbs.
The length has an adjustment that can fit desktops anywhere from 40” to 80” and it comes with a 3-year warranty.
- 29” to 48” height range
- Sturdy with large feet
- The desktop can be 40” to 80”
- Hand crank operated
- 132 lb weight limit
#3 UPLIFT Desk - V2 Commercial 4-Leg Standing Desk Frame with Advanced 1-Touch Digital Memory Keypad
- Engineered for quick, reliable height adjustment, the reinforced UPLIFT V2 Frame includes two separate motors (one in each leg) and an inverted leg design, which keeps the desk sturdy at its highest height.
- Telescoping crossbars are compatible with desks as narrow as 42 inches all the way up to 80 inches wide.
This desk frame may be pricey, but it is definitely worth the money!
It has four legs each with a dual motor on each side, for faster, quieter, and smoother movement than other desks.
Digital Memory Keypad, you can easily store up to 4 height presets for all of your sit-to-stand transitions
It is strong, sturdy, and can hold a 535-lb lifting capacity with 3-stage legs, Plus, it comes with a 15-year, all-inclusive warranty against damage or defect
- 535-weight limit
- Four motors
- 23” to 49” height range
#4 VIVO Electric Motor Height Adjustable Corner Desk Frame
- Recommended Table Top Sizes - Table Length for Main Desk at 24" Width: 46.75" to 88.75", Table Length for Main Desk at 30" Width: 49.75" to 91.75", Table Length for Return Desk at 24" Width: 32.5" to 74.5", Table Length for Return Desk at 30" Width: 29.5" to 71.5". Recommended thickness is 3/4" or greater. Creates an L-shaped standing desk when table tops are installed for the ideal corner workstation (table tops must be purchased separately).
- Telescopic Height Adjustment - Go from sitting to standing in one smooth motion with just the touch of a button. The powerful multi-motor lift system features 1.5" per second lift speed, creating smooth and quiet height transitions for your workstation.
This is a great option for those looking at l-shaped standing desks. It adjusts smoothly and quickly and holds two desktops up to a combined 264 lbs.
It has programmable memory buttons and comes with a 3-year warranty.
- 264 lb weight limit
- Fast adjustment
- Quiet motors
- Complicated assembly instructions
- Slight wobbles
#5 Electric Stand-up Desk Frame - ErGear Height Adjustable Table Legs Sit Stand Desk Frame
- Recommended Desktop Size: Suitable for tables with a length of 39.4" to 63" and a width of 24" to 30". Adjustable length range of crossbeam: 35.4''-53.2''. Height adjustment range: 28.3" to 46.5".
- Sturdy 176lbs Support: All-steel material and sturdy table legs adjustable support system. The table legs have anti-slip pads, suitable for almost any floor surface.
If you want to enhance your workspace with a great desk frame that isn'thigh-end, then the ErGear frame could be the perfect choice for you.
It is suitable for tables with a length of 39.4" to 55.1" and a width of 23.6" to 31.5". The motorized desk frame size is 36.8"×23.8". Height adjustment range: 28.3" to 47.2".
The frame itself is made from all-steel material, making it sturdy to support 176lbs.
The table legs have anti-slip pads, suitable for almost any floor surface.
You can quickly set a comfortable height, the powerful single-motor system rises steadily at a speed of 1"/s, and the noise is less than 55 dB.
- Fast adjustment
- 176 lb weight limit
- 28.3” to 47.2” height range
- Difficult assembly instructions
Final Thoughts on Standing Desk Frames
If you plan on getting your standing desk frame and desktop separately, you still have plenty of options to choose from.
The base is available in 2, 3, or even 4-leg options, and you can get electronic or manually adjustable models.
There are also some to choose from that can hold heavy solid wood desktops with ease.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API