Standing desks can be expensive, but you can reduce the cost by buying a frame and using a desktop you already have or making a new one out of your own lumber.
Making your own desk can also add personality and by buying the right frame you won’t lose any functionality.
In this article, you will learn more about:
- 5 great sets of standing desk legs you can use for your own desktop including affordable and high end options
- Why making your own desk is a good choice
- What to look for in a standing desk base
To start us off, here are our:
Top 5 Standing Desk Frames
- Gadgets Dual Motor 3 Stages Column Leg (Our Top Pick)
- Progressive Automations Standing Desk Frame with Four Motors (Best High End)
What Are Standing Desk Frames?
Standing desk frames are the entire base of the desk without the desktop.
They are generally significantly cheaper than buying the entire desk and lots of people purchase them and put on their own desktop or buy a desktop separately.
Sometimes, people have a standing desk for a long time and the adjustment mechanism wears out, but they still like their desktop and don’t want to replace the entire thing.
Instead, you can remove the desktop from the old base and attach it to a new one.
This way you can enjoy the benefits of standing without breaking the bank and it just takes a little work!
You can also get a high quality adjusting desk for a reasonable price so you can go from sitting to standing in no time!
Watch this to learn more about matching a desktop with a frame!
What Are the Different Types of Standing Desk Frames?
There are a lot of different variations on desk frames depending on the shape, number of legs, or adjustable mechanism.
Most standing desk frames have two legs with a support bar between them that the desktop will attach to.
This is for any standard desk and generally will be able to adjust to the width you want.
Three leg standing desk bases are used for l-shaped or corner desks. Most of them are adjustable so you can fit the right size desktop onto them.
You will be able to adjust both sides of the l-shape separately so that you can use two different sizes for the desktops that you attach.
This type isn’t very common, but you should still know they are out there for those who are interested.
This type is very sturdy and each set of two legs will hold up a separate desktop. This allows you to adjust them to different heights, or combine at the same height for a larger surface.
Most standing desk frames are electric which means they adjust with the push of a button.
A lot of models also have programmable height buttons to make your life easier.
Some frames will be manually adjustable which means you will pull a lever or turn a crank to adjust the height of your desk.
They tend to be cheaper and quieter than electronic ones, but still adjust easily. A lot of them use a pneumatic system to make the adjustment smooth.
How Do Standing Desk Frames Work?
By taking away the expensive, and sometimes unreasonably priced, desktop and using your own wood, you take a ton of the price out of buying a standing desk.
This money can even be used to buy a more powerful, quieter, or faster adjusting frame.
If you go the electric route, make sure that your desk will be placed near an electrical outlet.
The frame itself is an important component in the functionality of the desk because it is the part that actually makes it a standing desk.
Then, depending on your budget, style, and requirements you can choose the best desktop to go with it.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desk Frames
To make sure you get a suitable base to make a standing desk with, you need to check some important things.
You need to make sure to get one that suits your specific needs and will last a long time.
You should choose the type of frame that you want based on the number of legs and type of adjustment.
Most of the bases will be able to adjust to the width you need them to, but if you want a desk to fit into the corner of a room you should look at 3 legged l-shaped desk frames.
You also need to make sure the height range will comfortably fit your standing and sitting height. This is especially important if you are taller or shorter than average.
The adjustment mechanism is also very important. You want to make sure that it adjusts fast enough for you.
If you plan on adjusting it several times a day you should probably invest in a faster mechanism. It may also be important to you to choose an electric frame.
You need to choose a model that has a good weight limit. If you have heavier work materials, you will need a higher weight limit.
You should keep in mind that the weight limit while adjusting is often different, and lower, than the overall weight limit.
To make sure you have a sturdy desk, check the materials that the frame is made out of.
You can also look at the size of the feet because the larger the feet the less likely it is that the table will be wobbly.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Hand Crank Standing Desks (2021 Review)
Best Standing Desk Frames Reviewed
- ✅ REDUCE BACK PAIN - Standing An Hour Of Work Day Standing Reduce in Upper Back and Neck Pain.
- ✅ Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease - Sedentary Lifestyles Has Been Linked 90% Increase in Risk of Cardiovascular
This desk is fantastic because of the large height range and dual motor system. It has programmable memory buttons and a 220 lb weight limit.
It comes with a 2 year warranty for the motor and 5 year warranty for the frame.
- Dual motor
- 220 lb weight limit
- 24” to 49” height range
- Slow adjustment speed
- No wire management
- Difficult Assembly
- Frame Dimensions and Compatibility - Frame Length: 39" to 61.5", Frame Height: 29" to 48". Recommended table top measurements: Length of 40” to 80”, Width of 24 to 36”, and a Thickness of 3/4” and greater.
- Hand Crank System - Simple crank system using minimal effort to adjust to your desired sitting and standing height.
This sturdy frame has a large height range that will comfortably fit almost anyone. It is hand crank operated and can hold 132 lbs.
The length has an adjustment that can fit desktops anywhere from 40” to 80” and it comes with a 3 year warranty.
- 29” to 48” height range
- Sturdy with large feet
- Desktop can be 40” to 80”
- Hand crank operated
- 132 lb weight limit
- A complete four-leg quadruple motor lift system with all the necessary components to build an automated workstation. Use a tabletop for each section to create a perfect height adjustable shared workspace.
- Adjustable base width ranges from 39.6” to 74”, making the FLT-08 adaptable to a variety of tabletops sizes. The FLT-08 is the perfect choice for shared one workstations. It has a starting height of 23.6” and can be fully extended to reach 49.1”, where each section is controlled independently with their own digital wired remote.
This desk frame may be pricey, but it is worth the money and has four legs each with a separate motor.
You can adjust two separate desktops and it's large enough to work as a desk for one or two people.
It is strong, sturdy, and can hold 270 lbs on each section (for a total of 540 lbs). Plus, it comes with an outstanding 8 year warranty!
- 270 lb x 2 weight limit
- Four motors
- 23” to 49” height range
- Difficult Assembly
- Recommended Table Top Sizes - Table Length for Main Desk at 24” Width: 46” to 84.5”, Table Length for Main Desk at 30” Width: 49” to 87.5”, Table Length for Return Desk at 24” Width: 32” to 65.5”, Table Length for Return Desk at 30” Width: 29” to 62.5”. Recommended thickness is 3/4” or greater. Creates an L-shaped standing desk when table tops are installed for the ideal corner workstation (table tops must be purchased separately).
- Telescopic Height Adjustment - Go from sitting to standing in one smooth motion with just the touch of a button. The powerful multi-motor lift system features 1.5” per second lift speed, creating smooth and quiet height transitions for your workstation.
This is a great option for those looking at l-shaped standing desks. It adjusts smoothly and quickly and holds two desktops up to a combined 264 lbs.
It has programmable memory buttons and comes with a 3 year warranty.
- 264 lb weight limit
- Fast adjustment
- Quiet motors
- Complicated assembly instructions
- Slight wobbles
- HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT - Standing Desk(without table top).Upgrade from the traditional 2-stage model, height adjustments from 28″-48″; Elescopic crossbars expand from 41.5”-70.8”.Wider adjustment range than 2-stage products.
- GREAT COMPATIBILITY - This standing desk base Recommended table top length: 42''-74'' and width: 26''-45.8'' ,a thickness of 2.5 cm, fits most desktop sizes.Powerful lifting force, with a maximum load of 224 lbs.
This frame can adjust with 224 lbs on it and still lifts at an inch every 1.2 seconds. The motor is quiet and it has programmable memory.
Desktops 42” to 74” can work with the base. The motor has a 3 year warranty and the frame has a 5 year warranty.
- Fast adjustment
- 224 lb weight limit
- 28” to 48” height range
- Difficult assembly instructions
Final Thoughts on Standing Desk Frames
If you plan on getting your standing desk frame and desktop separately, you still have plenty of options to choose from. The base is available in 2, 3, or even 4 leg options and you can get models that are electronically or manually adjustable. There are also some to choose from that can hold heavy solid wood desktops with ease.
Last update on 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API