Standing desks can be expensive, and then sometimes they are not even tall enough. However, there is a solution to these problems and there are options for any budget.
This article will go over:
- Our top 5 best risers and leg extensions for standing desks
- Different types and how they work
- What to look for when shopping
Let’s get started!
Our Top 5 Best Standing Desk Risers
What are Standing Desk Risers?
Standing desk risers are a way to increase the height of a desk.
This means that they can be used to change a traditional desk into a standing desk or just to make a standing desk more suitable for a taller person or other uses.
For example, sometimes people use a standing desk on risers to place a monitor so that an entire room can easily see the screen.
They can also be used to raise your existing desk so that you can try out a standing desk before investing in a completely new one and see if you like the benefits associated with standing.
Not only that, but you can use them to make up for dips or inconsistencies on the floor because risers can level it out.
Check out this video to learn about making your desk risers!
What are the Different Types of Standing Desk Risers?
There are a lot of different types of standing desk risers because there are different ones that fit different types of legs.
In addition, some are more portable while others are permanent. Finally, there are even risers that can be placed on top of a desktop that increases the height.
Most of us have tried to raise a desk using books, paper, spare blocks of wood, or other items that are easily found around the home or office.
This may work temporarily, but it is not recommended. First, it can be difficult to get the desktop to be level.
Second, depending on what you use the risers may not be very sturdy. This can lead to wobbles or even cause the desk to topple over.
These are a good option for desks that are almost tall enough and that have wooden legs. These are typically round and only a few inches tall.
However, some options have screws that may fit into the holes on the bottom of a standing desk’s feet.
If they do not already fit, you will need to make holes using an electric drill.
This is the most common type and they come in many different materials, colors, and styles.
These are great options for raising your desk a specific amount, but they are not adjustable.
There are furniture risers that are black, clear, white, wooden, elegant, or modern so you should be able to find one that suits your standing desk design and décor.
Some are blocks and others look more like legs.
These operate on a similar concept as buns or risers, but they are adjustable.
They will attach to the existing legs and screw in and out to reach your desired height. These typically require more work to attach, but are incredibly useful as well.
This is a riser that goes on top of the desktop.
This is similar to a standing desk converter, but they are usually a similar design and not made specifically to be used as a standing desk.
How Do Standing Desk Risers Work?
Standing desk risers work in different ways depending on the type. A lot of options simply screw into the bottom of desk legs or feet.
This will raise the desk a specific amount depending on how tall the risers are.
Tabletop risers merely sit on top of the desktop to increase the height of the workspace.
Read More >> How High Should a Standing Desk Be?
A lot of furniture risers do not even require any work because they have an indention in them that allows the legs to fit.
This will hold the desk firmly while adding a substantial amount of height.
Finally, leg levelers and other adjustable options. Those attach to the table and usually will require you to drill holes for the screws to fit into.
Then, you can turn them and they lengthen or shorten to reach your desired height.
This works because the screw will go up and down as it is twisted which brings the foot lower or higher.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desk Risers?
When looking for the right standing desk risers for your situation, you need to consider some things.
First, you need to consider the desk that you intend to rise. What types of legs and feet does it have?
If it has wooden feet, then it will be easier to attach a leveler or other screw-based riser.
If it has long metal feet like a lot of standing desk options, then you can either check the size of the holes already on the bottom or use an electric drill to create your own.
Another thing you need to check for is the desired height.
A lot of furniture risers, tabletop risers, and other options will have a set height because they are not adjustable.
Make sure that this height will work for you before purchasing one. If this height may not work, then your best bet is to look into the adjustable options.
Stability is a major factor when using risers. This depends on the type of desk that you are using them with and the risers themselves.
You will want to purchase risers that will not compromise the stability of the desk.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Hand Crank Standing Desks (2022 Review)
For furniture risers that have indentions for the legs to go into, make sure that the legs will fit into the indentions without moving around too much.
If you are getting a leg leveler, you want to be sure that the plate part that attaches will have enough space and that you will be able to drill holes in the area that it will attach to on the desk.
Best Standing Desk Risers
- CUSTOMIZE TO YOU OWN NEEDS: Each riser adds 1 inch height, You can lift your bed or furniture 1, 2, 3 or 4 inches (2 sets purchase required for adding 3 or 4 inches). To raise your bed, simply stack these interlocking risers on top of each other with each connector between (Each set including 8 risers, 4 big connectors and 4 small connectors). There are many combinations for you to interlocking them, each way gives each interesting result. You can refer to our 3 ways as pictures.
- FULL ACCESSORIES: 8 x Risers, 4 x Small Connects, 4 x Big Connects, 8 x Anti-Slip Pads and a Carton Box. NON-SLIP RECESSED HOLE: The 1.85” diameter recessed hole on top and 2.6" diameter recessed at bottom with universal fit contours designed to helps securely hold all bed or furniture feet to up 2.6 inches wide and prevents legs or wheels from slipping out of the riser.
These risers are available in two different elegant, walnut colors and are made out of strong oak.
They can stack together to raise one inch per riser and come in a set of 8.
They can be raised to 1, 2, 3, or 4 inches and there are a few different ways to stack them for different styles.
The recessed indention is 2.6 inches in diameter.
- Elegant Style
- Can stack to rise to 1, 2, 3, or 4 inches
- Strong solid oak construction
- Stacks of 3 or 4 inches may compromise sturdiness
- May stick to carpet
- Not good for large desk feet
- Excellent Product Design: No welding design, sturdy and durable. This adjustable feet levelers can adjust the height of the furniture from 25/32"(2cm) to 3-17/32"(9cm) and the design of the tray bracket perfectly improves the stability of the furniture.(Note: Please refer to the third and sixth pictures for the specific size of the product.)
- Installation Adjustment Kit:You will get 4 sets of leveling feet and 1pcs wrench. Suitable for using them in residential or working area, these furniture levelers are designed to fit most table, cabinet, and workbench.
These levelers are high quality and cost less than $20 for a pack of four.
They can adjust anywhere from .78 inches to 3.5 inches tall.
They have rubber feet so they do not scratch the floor or make noise.
They are heavy duty and easy to install because they come with screws and a small wrench tool.
- Adjustable from .78” to 3.5”
- Large plate will not fit all desks
- Max height of 3.5 inches may not be tall enough to convert traditional desk
- Difficult to turn for adjustment without the tool
- Raises your bed, sofa, table, and other furniture 3 inches in height
- Made out of solid Rubberwood (wood grown in Thailand from eco-friendly sources)
These 3 inch risers come in sets of four and you can choose either light brown or dark walnut color.
The recession in the top is 3 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep so that it holds the desk legs firm. They are made out of high-quality rubberwood from Thailand.
The light brown one is light enough to paint any color that you desire.
- Solid wood
- Deep Recession
- Gorgeous Style and Colors
- Not adjustable or stackable
- Higher price point than most
- Not suitable for large feet
- Package Dimensions: 13.8 L x 3 H x 7.5 W (inches)
- Package Weight : 3.12 pounds
This tabletop riser is 13.8 inches long and simply sits on top of your standing desk. It is 3 inches tall and comes in your choice of two different colors.
You can also purchase similar products that are 6 inches or 9 inches tall.
It is lightweight and easily mobile and is great for temporarily raising a monitor for viewing.
It has a solid construction and is easy to store because of the foldable legs.
- Mobile and easy to Store
- Gorgeous color
- Solid Construction
- Feet are not Protected
- Not adjustable
- Not much available room underneath
- ☆【THE NEW UPGRADE】We upgraded our bed risers from two aspects. 1. We redesigned their appearance. It’s amazing. Now they have more exquisite and real woody feel (in fact they are plastic). They can be better integrated into your Furniture and Wood floor. 2. We use heavy duty plastic. Now they can hold a total of 2,200lbs . The Heavy duty material of the bed risers ensure long life of use and maximum durability. More Durable, Stable, Sturdy and safety.
- ☆【MORE STORAGE】3 inch height lift. The External Size: 4.13"(W) x 4.13"(L) x 3.3"(H). The Internal Size: 2.55"(W) x 2.55"(L) x 0.59"(H). Adds additional height/storage space under beds and furniture making cleaning underneath furniture easier (great for robot vacuums). You can increase storage space under the bed, sofa, chair and other furniture. You can put your shoe boxes and suitcases under them. NOT fit for recliner or chairs with skinny legs.
These plastic risers come in a plethora of different colors from black to walnut wood-grained. They are solid and can hold up to 6000 pounds or 1650 pounds per riser.
They may also be good for types of legs that do not fit directly in them as long as they are balanced. They are 3 inch risers with a 2.55 inch indention diameter.
They also have non-slip bottoms as well as non-slip indention to hold legs sturdy.
- Hold up to 1650 pounds per riser
- Quality Non-slip bottom and Recession
- Color Options
- Not adjustable or stackable
- Large and Heavy
- Plastic Construction
Final Thoughts on Standing Desk Risers
Desk risers are a great option for someone who just wants to test out standing or to increase the height of an existing traditional or standing desk.
There are lots of different options depending on how much you want to raise the desk or why you want it taller.
There are also adjustable options and plenty of different color and style options to suit virtually anyone who wants to combat the negative effects of sitting.
Some work well with larger feet while others need to be attached with screws so be sure to get a set of risers that works well with the type of desk you have.