Sometimes standing straight can get uncomfortable, yet you want to get the health benefits associated with it. You may even get restless.
If that sounds like you, the solution may be using footrests.
This article will cover:
- The best standing desks with footrests
- How they work
- What to look for in the best ones
Let’s get started!
Our Top 5 Best Standing Desks with Footrests
- Safco Products AlphaBetter Adjustable-Height Desk (Our Top Pick)
- Mount-It! Adjustable Footrest with Massaging Bead (Best Budget)
- FAMISKY Dual Motor Electric Standing Desk with Footrest (Best High End)
Standing desks with footrests offer a place to put one of your feet while standing or both feet, or even legs, while you are sitting.
This can make it more comfortable for you whether you are sitting or standing.
Some of the footrests on standing desks are called fidget bars because they help you move your leg around while you work.
Moving is more beneficial than standing or sitting and this promotes even more movement.
Not only do footrests promote active sitting, but they can also help you improve your posture and avoid back neck, and shoulder pain.
Watch this video to learn more reasons why it may be beneficial to use a footrest!
What are the Types of Standing Desks with Footrests?
There are a few different types of footrests that are used with standing desks. It is important to consider the options to find the one that will fit your needs and your budget.
These are types that are attached to the desk, but they do not adjust or swing with your legs.
They are great for resting a single foot while standing or both feet while sitting, but they are not great for fidgeting and are not the best option for ergonomics.
However, they may still help you avoid bad posture or leg crossing.
These types move so that you can fidget. Sometimes standing still can get tiring and it can even be bad for your health.
Standing desks can improve upon the health benefits of standing by giving you an active sitting position while you sit and promoting movement and comfort while you stand.
Pain Relief Footrests
These are the types of footrests designed specifically to ease the pain. They do this by increasing blood flow and reducing tension.
They can help to ease stiffness and swelling as well. They are typically cushioned and help you keep your leg or feet raised in a comfortable position.
There are tons of accessories that you can add to an existing standing desk to provide a footrest.
Some are great for fidgeting while others promote active sitting. Some are better for standing and help you subtly move while you stand and work.
Standing Desks with Swinging Footrests
These desks are the preferred type of standing desks with footrests because they promote active sitting.
This may help you avoid fatigue as well as increase productivity. You can use them to make rhythmic foot motions while staying focused on the task at hand.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Standing Desk Steppers (2021 Review)
Not only that, but they still provide the best posture and comfort than any of the other types of footrests.
Also, they are generally not padded which can be a good thing. Just because it feels less comfortable at first, does not mean it is less comfortable.
Furthermore, if it is slightly less comfortable, then that may keep you moving and getting the benefits that come with alternating between standing and sitting.
How Do Standing Desks with Footrests Work?
Standing desks with footrests can help you reduce back pain by improving circulation and promoting movement.
Not only that, but a footrest can make you more comfortable when you obtain good posture.
It will help you resist slouching or other positions that are not good for the back and body as a whole.
Footrests can help us stay upright which can help us reduce the chances of stiffness and pain in the legs.
Also, footrests help us avoid crossing our legs. Research indicates that cross-legged sitting can lead to poor posture and aches and pains.
A footrest, an immobile one, can encourage you to move your legs.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desks with Footrests
It is important to get a footrest that suits your needs and the type of standing desk you want.
Many standing desks have footrests included, but there are also accessories that you can add to create the best workstation for you.
Mobility is important. If you want to promote movement and active sitting, then you should look at fidget bars, swinging footrests, and other types that allow you to move your feet and legs.
There are even accessories that act like pedals so that you can keep your feet and legs in motion throughout the day while both standing and sitting.
Transportability may also be important to some people. If you use multiple locations for work, then you can buy a lightweight accessory footrest so that you can take it wherever you go.
They make types that are semi-permanent and types that are completely unattached to the desk.
The size of the footrest may also be good to take into account. If you plan on using it for both feet while you are sitting, be sure that it is large enough.
You may want to consider the types of shoes you usually wear as well. Some footrests are just a bar or a swinging bar and this may not be best for flat-soled shoes.
However, others have texture to prevent slipping and you can add non-slip traction tape to one if you cannot find one that offers what you want.
Read More >> Standing Desks On Carpet Floors?
Your height is a very important consideration. Footrests tend to be great for shorter people because shorter legs mean that it can get uncomfortable for you to sit flat-footed while maintaining good posture.
However, footrests can be beneficial for tall people as well. You do have to consider legroom and the position your leg will be in when using the footrest.
The height of the footrest is another consideration.
You want to be sure that the footrest accommodates you well. This will help you retain good posture and a comfortable position while you work at the desk.
Best Standing Desks With Footrests
- Active learning. Safco alpha better adjustable-height desk gives students in grades 3-12 the opportunity to sit or stand during the school day and fidget without being a distraction to their classmates or teachers, while potentially improving their focus and concentration.
- Built to last. Designed with 16-gauge, commercial-grade tubular Steel, its Sturdy base withstands the toughest schoolroom conditions and keeps going strong. Covered with a Black powder Coat Finish to help resist chipping and scratching for years of dependable use.
This desk has a well-made fidget bar and is durable and sturdy. It has a storage shelf and is adjustable from 26 to 42 inches.
It is available in two different sizes and is made with steel and MDF-engineered wood. Great for those who are restless while working or learning.
- Sturdy construction
- Fidget bar
- Storage shelf
- Small desktop
- Adjusts in increments
- Difficult to adjust
- ERGONOMIC– This desk foot rest with help to reduce strain and fatigue by keeping your legs and feet elevated. Adjustable height and angle reduce pressure on the lower back and alleviate discomfort while sitting.
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE- Convenient foot pedal control lets you adjust the massaging footrest without leaving your chair. Offers 5 levels of height adjustment that lets you stretch your legs for increased circulation.
This footrest accessory works with virtually any standing desk. It is lightweight and can fold up for transportability.
It is also very comfortable with shoes or bare feet. It is also height adjustable and large enough to accommodate both feet.
It has massage beads that also act as a non-slip platform.
- Height Adjustable
- Massage beads
- Footrest accessory
- Will not hold significant weight
- Electric Height Adjustable: The electric standing desk offers adjustable height from 27.56 to 44.88 inches. This standing desk satisfies the demand of people working from home and office
- Ergonomic Footrest Design: The design of the footrest is to prevent leg swelling. The footrest is combined with the sit-stand desk to bring customers a better working experience
This desk has a footrest that promotes circulation and can help to reduce leg pain and swelling.
It also comes in multiple sizes and colors to fit your style.
There are 3 programmable memory buttons so that you can save any height from 28 to 45.5 inches.
It is sturdy and holds up to 220 pounds. It also has a dual motor system for easy adjustability.
- Dual motors
- Pain reducing
- No standard footrest
- 2 piece desktop
- Difficult Assembly
- STABLE AND SEAMLESS MOVEMENT: Easily adjusts from sitting to standing with a smooth crank adjustment from 29.5" – 46.7". A quartet of high-quality 3" casters, two with locking brakes, makes this rolling computer cart a breeze to move around your office or classroom.
- INSTALL CRANK EITHER SIDE: Adjusts with a pull-out crank, crank can be installed on the left or right as your habits
This desk has two tiers so it is great for a keyboard and monitor or extra storage. The footrest is immobile but works well for feet with additional room.
This desk is height adjustable using a hand crank system and also has caster wheels for mobility.
It is made out of durable steel and comes in your choice of three different colors.
- 3-inch caster wheels
- Two tiers
- Durable construction
- Immobile footrest
- Hand crank adjustable
- 100-pound weight limit
- ERGONOMIC ADJUSTABLE ANGLED TEXTURED FOOTREST: Improve leg circulation with the Mind Reader adjustable massage surface device that lifts and angles your legs, feet, knees, and ankles to a position that reduces stress on the body - improve back and neck pain while you sit at work or home - slight swivel adds flexibility while you sit or massage feet.
- INCREASE LEG & BACK COMFORT WHILE SITTING: Proper posture and sitting position are key to overall comfort - making sure your legs and feet are positioned comfortably while you work or while sitting at home allows you to maintain overall comfort throughout the day - when you sit with the correct posture you help your neck, back, feet overall comfort and wellness.
Improve leg circulation with the Mind Reader adjustable massage surface device that lifts and angles your legs, feet, knees, and ankles to a position that reduces stress on the body.
A slight swivel adds flexibility while you sit or massage your feet.
Proper posture and sitting position are key to overall comfort - making sure your legs and feet are positioned comfortably while you work or while sitting at home allows you to maintain overall comfort throughout the day.
- cheap price
- lots of adjustment options
- Could wobble from side to side in higher positions
- only massages feet when they're bare.
Final Thoughts on Standing Desks with Footrests
Footrests promote good posture and many also promote active sitting and movement which can have great health benefits.
They are also comfortable and there are accessory options that can fit virtually any standing desk.
There are also affordable options if you just want to try one out before buying a better, high-quality, or more beneficial fidget bar option.