Standing desks may help you burn calories, but the difference is small without movement.
However, if you choose to use a pedal exercise machine you can exercise while getting your work completed.
This article will go over:
- Our top 5 standing desk steppers
- How they work and the benefits of using one
- What to look for when shopping for one
Let’s dive on in!
Our Top 5 Standing Desk Steppers
What are Standing Desk Steppers?
A stepper is similar to an elliptical machine, but it is smaller and most options are hands-free so that you can work while you work out.
This can be a great way to get a cardio workout or to burn extra calories without wasting time after you get off of work.
Standing desks can reduce the amount of time you sit during the day, and therefore limit the negative effects that sitting can cause, but it is much healthier if you can move around some during the day.
Not only that, but you can do a low-intensity workout for as long as you desire and they are very portable so you can easily move them out of the way when it is not in use.
There are different options depending on the resistance, style, and other factors that you may want. Check out this video to learn more about how steppers work.
What are the Different Types of Standing Desk Steppers?
There are a few different types of steppers that you should know about. There are non-electric pneumatic options, digital options, and ones that have upper body resistance bands.
Pneumatic Standing Desk Steppers
These steppers do not have a digital interface and work using a pneumatic system.
Most options are height adjustable and some even have a knob so that you can change the resistance. They are simple, affordable options that get the job done.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Pneumatic Standing Desks (2021 Review)
Digital Standing Desk Steppers
These options have a digital monitor on them that often measures the number of steps that you take and a lot of them even calculate the number of estimated calories that you have burned during the day.
They are a little more expensive than options that do not have desk steppers, but it may be worth it since it can be hard to keep track of how long you have been using a stepper or how many steps you take while you are working.
Desk Steppers with Resistance Bands
There are a lot of options that come with resistance bands so that you can choose to work out your upper body while you use the stepper if you decide to.
You cannot type on a keyboard while you use resistance bands, but you can use the resistance bands during meetings or breaks.
How Do Standing Desk Steppers Work?
Standing desk steppers keep you in motion while you stand or sit working at your desk.
They have slip-resistant pedals for each foot and a system that lets you pedal them up and down to work out your legs and heart.
In addition, they also can work out your core because you have to be stable and balanced while using the stepper.
A lot of stepper options have resistance options to increase or decrease the intensity of the workout.
This is commonly done using a spinning flywheel and magnets. By increasing the resistance you also increase the strength of the magnets which makes it harder to press the foot pedals.
More affordable options often use a brake system and magnets get closer or farther away from the wheel as you turn a knob.
Resistance bands work by attaching to the steppers and getting harder to pull as they extend.
This means that you can pull on them to exercise your biceps, triceps, pectorals, or other pieces of your upper body while you continuously use the stepper to work out your legs.
What to Look for in the Best Standing Desk Steppers
The first thing that you should consider for a standing desk stepper is the price. Most steppers are quite affordable, but some more so than others.
The cheapest options tend to break down easier, especially with daily use. This is because they are not made of solid metal frames and other high-quality materials.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Affordable Standing Desks (2021 Review)
The size of the pedals is also something to consider, especially if you have a large shoe size.
You want them to hold your feet comfortably without any worry of your feet slipping off.
Another consideration that goes along with this is the type of slip-resistant material used on the pedals.
Most steppers are portable, but they do vary in weight and some options have easy-to-carry handles.
The heavier ones are not great for moving to more than one location but are easy to move out of the way when they are not in use.
The lighter options you can take with you easily no matter where you go.
The size of the stepper may be important as well. This is especially true if you have a small workspace or have to store things underneath your desk.
There are a lot of smaller options that can easily fit in a regular space underneath your desk that can be moved out when you are standing.
The amount of sound that it makes is something to take into account as well. Some options are very quiet while they are in use.
However, some have the sound of the spinning flywheel and pneumatic system that may be bothersome to coworkers.
Best Standing Desk Steppers
#1 Bionic Body Magnetic Tension Mini Stepper Trainer with Resistance Tubes
- ALL-IN-ONE-WORKOUT STATION –With the NS-1009, avoid switching between workout stations to train your upper and lower body simultaneously. This equipment works as a stepper as well as ma in an elliptical while the resistance tubes provide upper-body workouts
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE LEVER – Designed for fitness enthusiasts of all skill levels, this step machine comes with la ever for turning the resistance up and down, so you can tailor your training to your fitness level and strengthen different muscle groups.
This solid, high-quality stepper comes with resistance bands so you can work out your upper body and lower body simultaneously.
The digital readout displays your strides per minute and the total l number of steps as well as the length of time you have been spending on the machine and the calories burned. View the current price here.
- Digital Monitor
- Adjustable Resistance
- Resistance Bands
- More expensive than other options
- Somewhat noisy
#2 Sunny Health & Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands
- TRACK YOUR FITNESS: LCD monitor measures the steps time total and calories, making your exercise more reasonable and effective
- TOTAL BODY: Equipped with removable training bands this high-quality stepper tightens over 20 different core muscles and uses low-impact aerobic exercise to help tone your chest back and shoulders
This is a great, well-made system that uses pneumatics to operate.
It also comes with high-quality resistance bands. It also has a digital monitor and is height adjustable.
Finally, the pedals are large and have slip resistance Plus, it is a great price.
- Large, slip-resistant pedals
- Height adjustable
- Includes resistance bands
- Not great for use while sitting
- Does not have adjustable resistance
- Tends to squeak
#3 Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster
This is a high-quality, yet somehow low-weight machine.
It is small and easily portable and has large pedals that will suit virtually anyone. Two separate pistons help the stairs guide smoothly with a good amount of resistance.
- Strong resistance
- Compact and light-weight
- Sturdy construction
- No adjustable resistance
- Limited movement
#4 Stamina InMotion Compact Strider
- PORTABLE, QUIET AND EFFICIENT CARDIO: The Stamina InMotion Compact Strider is small and lightweight, making it easy to use in any home or office space; It’s quiet and unintrusive, too; The minimal space required is 24.5 x 17 inches
- ADJUSTABLE TENSION WITH MONITOR: Vary the intensity of your workout by turning the adjustable dial while you stride; See your stats while exercising with the display monitor; Tracks workout time, stride count, and calories burned
This system is excellent for workouts of any intensity because it is quiet, sturdy, moves both forward and backward, adjustable to target different muscles.
The easy-to-read digital display monitor shows the duration of your workout and the number of calories you've burned. It also has adjustable resistance.
It has adjustable resistance to help you get the most out of your workouts.
- Great for gamers
- Non-Slip pedals
- Multi-function Fitness Monitor
- Clicky wheel
- Stride too small
#5 DeskCycle Ellipse Under Desk Elliptical Machine
- MULTI-TASK: Our premium quality under-desk elliptical machine can help you burn calories, boost your energy level, increase productivity and reduce stress as you work
- MAGNETIC RESISTANCE: This compact elliptical exercise machine has ultra-smooth magnetic resistance, a superior flywheel, and a sturdy base. It's whisper quiet, so you'll never bother those around you
This sturdy machine has a quiet flywheel for smooth office-based workouts.
It's simple to assemble in minutes. Mainly designed for under a desk but is easy to use while sitting.
It also includes an LCD that shows workout data. Comes with a built-in handle for moving around.
- Calorie counter LCD
- Hardly noticeable noise
- Web-based tracking software
- Slippery pedals
- Not made for standing
Final Thoughts on Standing Desk Steppers
Standing desk steppers can give you the benefits of exercise while you continue to work at your desk. Many options work well whether you are standing or sitting.
There are tons of choices, some are more affordable while others have adjustable resistance.
Whatever your choice, you can stand, maximize productivity, and get your cardio and leg workouts in easily with a standing desk stepper.