A lot of the health risks associated with sitting are related to a sedentary lifestyle.
Standing can go a long way towards eliminating those health risks, but exercising and moving are much healthier and more beneficial than merely standing.
This is where active workstations come in.
This article includes:
- The 5 best treadmill workstations and their pros and cons
- The types and how they work
- What to look for when you are considering a good product
Let’s take a look!
Best Treadmill Workstations
- No products found.
What are Treadmill Workstations?
A treadmill workstation is the combination of a standing desk with a treadmill. This allows you to walk or jog while you are completing your tasks on a computer or at your desk.
This can improve your health because inactivity increases your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, and even death.
In addition, using a treadmill desk can help to combat obesity and weight gain.
In fact, just using a treadmill while you work for an hour each day may help you lose up to 7.5 pounds a year. There are a number of other benefits as well.
When workers switch to a treadmill workstation, they tend to become more productive.
The use of the treadmill can help to combat mental and physical fatigue and fight against the afternoon slump.
It can help us regulate our blood sugar levels and provide us with healthy energy throughout the day.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Under Desk Treadmills? (2021 Review)
There is an additional study that shows that employees who utilize a treadmill to walk while they work are more satisfied and less bored.
Furthermore, they were less stressed than their sedentary counterparts. It seems that treadmill workstations are an easy way to improve your overall physical and mental health.
Check out this video to learn how to make your own treadmill desk!
Types of Treadmill Workstations
There are a few different types of treadmill workstations.
There are treadmill desks, desktop attachments, fitness desks, and under desk treadmills.
This is the primary type of treadmill workstation. It is a treadmill with a standing desk on it.
They are often foldable so that you can use the treadmill without the desktop as well.
This is the type for those who do not yet have a standing desk or a treadmill (or those who are going to replace their treadmill or standing desk anyways).
This type is an attachment that you can put onto an existing treadmill.
They are easy to use and very affordable and can provide you with a large workstation.
They are made of different types of materials and some products are very stylish as well.
This type does not have the treadmill component, but is designed to fit around a treadmill or under desk treadmill to allow standing work to be completed.
They are affordable and great for those who want to do some work while they workout.
Under Desk Treadmills
This type is for those who have a standing desk, but want to incorporate exercise into their daily routine.
It fits underneath or next to your desk and some can be used while standing or sitting. They are often more affordable than treadmill desks, but are usually more expensive than the other types.
How Do Treadmill Workstations Work?
Treadmill desks work by providing an easy way to exercise while you are working. Typically, they are recommended to use at slow speeds around 2 miles per hour.
This allows you to complete work and exercise without issues like too much movement or sweat.
Read More >> Top Best Standing Desk Exercises
You should also use them in combination with sitting and standing still for the most beneficial health effects.
You should also wear comfortable shoes and still exercise outside of work. However, they do increase heart rate, burn calories, workout your legs, and more while you are doing your normal work activities.
Some work tasks are easier to complete than others while walking on a treadmill so you will have to determine when you should use it to get the most benefits without harming your productivity.
What to Look for in the Best Treadmill Workstations?
You want to make sure that you get a treadmill workstation that will work for you and to do so you need to look at some important factors.
First, you want to be sure that the treadmill is stable and the correct width.
Many treadmill workstations are not as wide as traditional treadmills so you want to make sure that it comfortably fits your walking gait.
You want to check the weight limit as well. If it is only you using the treadmill then be sure to find one that accommodates your body weight.
If you will be sharing the treadmill then be sure to get one that has a high enough weight limit to accommodate anyone who may take it for a spin.
Another factor is the noise level. You do not want a super loud treadmill if you work around other people.
All treadmills will make some noise, but there are some that are much quieter. Also, the ones that are quiet are also often made of high quality materials.
You should always consider the height of the desk. Many options are adjustable which makes it much easier to fit your body.
However, you need to consider the adjustability to ensure that the workstation is comfortable for you. You want to be able to naturally reach the keyboard and type without bending your back.
You should also consider the speed of the treadmill. A lot of them have a large range of different speeds. Think about the pace that you want.
Many people use their treadmill desk for regular workouts so they will want to use it at a slower speed while they are working and then shift it to a higher speed when they are only working out.
Best Treadmill Workstations
- Huge Desktop & Multifunctional Display
- Strong and Quiet Motor
This treadmill desk has a desktop and an LCD display that keeps track of your speed, time, distance, heart rate, and calories burned. It also has Bluetooth speakers.
The motor is powerful, smooth, and quiet. The weight limit for this model is 265 pounds and the treadmill is 16.5 inches wide and 39.4 inches long.
The multilayer design makes it soft and easy on the legs, knees, and joints.
- Smooth, quiet motor
- LCD display
- Quality customer service (free replacement parts and quality assurance for 12 months)
- Small desktop
- Difficult assembly
- Adjustable Desk: The treadmill desk has an adjustable length to fit your needs.
- Compatible Devices: Works with tablets and laptops for a versatile workspace.
This attachment fits most treadmills up to 34 inches wide.It has protected edges and a 34 inch by 14 inch desktop.
You can adjust the extension panels up to 40 inches by turning knobs.
A 17 inch laptop can work on the desk and it also has pen trays and handlebar clamps with straps.
It is easy to attach and remove and leaves the clamps in place. Finally, it comes in your choice of 6 different colors.
- Fits most treadmills
- Extension panels
- Stylish design
- Expensive compared with other options
- You will have to request and adaptor if your treadmill has side buttons
- Desktop attachment
- ✔️ Smallest And Lightest Treadmill You Can Find In The World - elegant to exercise in your office and home! It's a motorized small treadmill for apartment comes fully assembled, Installation Free! With a mini size while the same powerful as a motorized walking treadmill(2.0HP motor) ! Regardless bad weather or small indoor spaces, it enables you to perform workout in your office, living room, bedroom or before your desk workstation any time. Perfect work with Height Adjustable Standing Desk!
- ✔️ Handle And Maintain With Ease - APP Mobile control and WIRELESS Remote control optional for you to operate the treadmill at will | Easy to move around with the maneuverable wheels underneath | Add the oil effortlessly with the AUTO LUBRICATION SYSTEM | The LED monitor will count your each pace on your way to reach the goal of 10,000 steps.
This compact under desk treadmill has a powerful motor that is smooth and quiet.
It has a wireless remote control option and also has wheels so it is easy to move out of the way.
The LED keeps track of your paces and it has an automatic lubrication system.
It goes to a maximum speed of 3.1 miles per hour and remains under 70 DB. It can support up to 242.5 pounds.
- Quiet motor
- Compact and lightweight
- Remote operated
- Not designed for running
- May be too small for some people
- More expensive than other options
- 【Innovative 3-in-1 Treadmill】Our 3-in-1 Goplus folding treadmill perfectly combines the advantages of treadmills, walking machines and working machines. The large and sturdy Acrylic tabletop can be used to place computers or other items, so you can work while exercising. In addition, you can choose to run or jog according to your physical fitness.
- 【Quiet Motor & Adjustable Speed with Remote Control】The powerful 2.25 HP motor and 5-layer running belt provides you with quiet exercise experience and is very suitable for home and office use. In addition, the speed can be adjusted freely from 0.5Mile/H-7.5Mile/H on control board or with included remote control.
This treadmill has a large acrylic desktop and a high quality treadmill system. The motor is quiet and smooth and it has adjustable speed with remote control operation.
The 5-layer running belt is easy on the joints and you can keep track of your speed, time, distance, and calories on the LCD screen. You can also fold the treadmill for storage.
- Large desktop
- Remote control operation
- Smooth, quiet motor
- Difficult set-up
- Desk may not be high enough for very tall people
- 220 pound weight limit
#5 No products found.
No products found.
This lightweight, but durable treadmill uses a remote control for operation and has a bluetooth connection to the speakers.
The screen keeps track of the speed, time, distance, and calories and it has a safety lock for emergency braking. Finally, it has a 265 pound weight limit.
- Lightweight with wheels for mobility
- Remote control
- 265 pound weight limit
- Desktop may not be the right height for shorter or taller people
- No adjustable slant
- Difficult to fold
Final Thoughts on Treadmill Workstations
Treadmill workstations are a great way to incorporate exercise into your everyday routine.
There are some that can work with your exiting standing desk and attachments that can work with your treadmill.
They come in different shapes, sizes, and price points to suit your needs and your budget.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API