what are the best ergonomic kneeling chairs for you?
Kneeling chairs have been gaining in popularity in the last few years because of the benefits that they can provide, for your body and overall health and wellbeing.
It is important to know the best ergonomic kneeling chairs before purchasing one so that you can get the one that suits you best.
This article includes:
- The top 5 best ergonomic kneeling chairs and their features
- What they are and how they work
- Things to look for when shopping for one
Let’s get started because we have a lot to cover!
Best Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs
- Varier Variable Balans Original Kneeling Chair (Our Top Pick)
- Varier ThatSit Balans Kneeling Chair with Backrest (Best High End)
What are Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs?
Kneeling chairs are chairs that you kneel in instead of sitting with feet flat and buttocks down.
With a kneeling chair, the hips and pelvis are tilted forward so that the spine rests in the natural position with good posture.
This creates a 110 degree bottom to thigh angle which can have a number of benefits.
Also, when sitting in a kneeling chair, the hips are moved slightly forward which makes the weight of the body distribute more evenly and takes excessive pressure off of the joints.
A kneeling chair can help to reduce back pain because there is no tension or compression when compared to traditional sitting styles.
These chairs can also reduce the negative effects of sitting in general.
A kneeling chair also improves digestion because there is less compression involved within the internal organs. Breathing may improve for the same reasons.
A kneeling chair can also strengthen your back and core muscles and may encourage active sitting which is associated with greater productivity.
Ergonomic kneeling chairs have adjustable features like the height of the seat and even the angle of the slope.
This helps the user control the amount of pressure placed on the shins and other joints.
Many experts recommend using a quality kneeling chair with a traditional chair and a standing desk to obtain the most health benefits.
Watch this video to learn how to properly use a kneeling chair.
What are the Different Types of Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs?
There are several different types of ergonomic kneeling chairs that you may want to consider.
In addition to standard kneeling chairs there are rocking kneeling chairs, sitting/standing kneeling chairs, double knee pad chairs, kneeling chairs with back support, and saddle seated kneeling chairs.
Standard Kneeling Chairs
The standard type of ergonomic kneeling chair uses an x-shaped frame for structural integrity and balanced support.
They are useful and provide the necessary benefits without many style options. They have a single knee padded support system and sometimes come with caster wheels for mobility.
Rocking Kneeling Chairs
Rocking kneeling chairs have a sloped seat and a frame design that allows for some rocking when you lean forward and backward.
This can encourage active sitting and help to promote subtle movements throughout the day. Which is also a good option for those people who are extra fidgety at work.
Kneeling Chair with Back Support
Most kneeling chairs do not have a backrest, but these ones come with one that is sometimes detachable.
This is good for those who use their kneeling chairs for prolonged periods of time. However, the back support can take away from the usefulness and health benefits of a kneeling chair.
Kneeling Chair with Double Knee Pads
Double knee pads have a separate pad and frame for each leg. This can open up your core and legs and allow you to sit effortlessly and comfortably.
However, these options will not fit every person even if the knee pads are highly adjustable.
Sitting/Standing Kneeling Chairs
This type combines the benefits of a standing leaning chair with a kneeling chair and allows a full range of motion and postures.
Likely this is the healthiest of the types of kneeling chairs as long as you change your position often. Because the best way to use a standing desk is to alternate between sitting and standing often.
Kneeling Chairs with a Saddle Seat
This type of chair has a saddle seat that can add comfort to the kneeling chair.
This type of seat is supportive and can help to reduce back pain even more than a standard kneeling chair.
How Does an Ergonomic Kneeling Chair Work?
Ergonomic kneeling chairs work by providing the user with good posture. This works because it not only encourages and promotes good posture, but there is no way to use a kneeling chair in a slouching position.
They also take the pressure off of the core and hips which can reduce back and neck pain.
Instead of sitting with the feet flat on the floor, kneeling chairs have padded support for the knees so that the feet are underneath the user.
This provides balance and evenly distributes your weight. Which will strengthen your core and back which can help to prevent more pain in the future.
Read More >> Best Kneeling Chairs for Back Pain (2021 Review)
Finally, with good posture comes good breathing. When you are sitting at the kneeling chair, you will find that you can breathe easily and comfortably. This can have numerous health benefits on its own.
What to Look for in the Best Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs?
To choose a good kneeling chair for you, it is important to take in some particular factors.
Everyone is different and some chairs are designed better for certain types of people.
First, find a chair that allows you to sit upright and slightly forward.
This chair will fit your body. If you lean back or slouch in the chair then it will not do its job and may even increase your back pain.
Also, find a kneeling chair that has a forward angled seat. This is because this opens up the angles of your body and allows the spine to rest in its natural position.
You will also want to find one that allows you to fit your legs underneath your desk.
The size is important and the taller you are the more difficult it will be to find a kneeling chair that works for you.
Chair Usability With Desk:
You want to be able to remain productive, or even increase productivity, while using the kneeling chair so make sure that you can use it close enough to your computer and desk.
Try to find one that has a seat with at least 20 degrees of incline. This will help your spine properly rest in its natural position.
Also, try to find options that do not have permanent back rests. Instead, find them without backrests or with removable back support.
If you want to rest against the backrest it is best to do so in a traditional office chair instead of a kneeling chair.
Read More >> Best Kneeling Chairs with Back Support (2021 Review)
Height/ Weight limit:
You also need to check the height and weight limits for the chair. Do not purchase one that will not properly support your body type. You need to make sure that the chair is the correct height.
Ergonomic kneeling chairs are adjustable, but that still does not mean that they will fit people of every height and weight.
Best Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs
- The ONLY original kneeling chair designed by Peter Opsvik in 1979
- Now includes FREE soft tape ($50 value) for floor protection! Avoid scratches on hard floors
This chair has the original kneeling chair design from 1979 designed by Peter Opsvik. They only use the highest quality materials and manufacture the chairs in Europe.
It is flexible, but strong to provide useful, healthy support. It also comes in 8 different colors and free soft tape for floor protection to avoid scratches. Finally, it has a 240 pound weight limit.
- Durable Wood
- Comfortable fabric padding
- Slight rocking motion
- Not suitable for people who are very short
- Difficult assembly
- May wobble some during rocking
- Wake up those core muscles and let them work as long as you do with this ergonomic kneeling office chair
- [_Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17_] Gray fabric upholstered seat and knee rest padded with CAL 117 fire retardant foam
This is an affordable option that has caster wheels for mobility. It is height adjustable and comes in your choice of two different colors.
This chair is very comfortable and a good option for those who do not want to spend too much on a kneeling chair or just want to try one out first.
- Height adjustable
- Caster wheels for mobility
- Poor upholstery
- Peg adjustment
- Not a long-lasting option
This chair is made of high-quality materials and combines style with health and comfort. It has a concave backrest and has a subtle rocking movement.
The wood is of the highest quality and provides flexibility with strength and support. The fabric is soft, comfortable, and elegant.
- Rocking motion
- High Quality materials
- Concave backrest
- More expensive than most other options
- Difficult assembly
- Not good choice for those who are heavier
- Ergonomic Kneeling Chair - We’ve got your back (and your knees, shins, and your behind!) Your ergonomic kneeling chair with back support is equipped with a mesh three-inch thick cushion to ensure excellent support. It features 4 casters (wheels) so you have the freedom to move – just like your old office chair! PLEASE NOTE: You will use different muscles in a kneeling chair, so it’s best to acclimate yourself when first using or switch positions throughout the day.
- Better Posture While Tilted - There is no reason to hunch over your keyboard or desk for hours on end anymore. This posture chair has a functional design that gives you the posture benefits of standing and the relief of sitting all in one. It will keep your back at an upright position, distributing your weight evenly throughout your buttocks and legs, all while keeping your spine aligned.
This chair has a mesh cushion for support and 4 caster wheels for mobility. It also has a backrest and has a tilted design for good posture.
Made out of strong materials and can support up to 250 pounds. It is also adjustable from 21 to 31 inches to fit your body type.
- Caster wheels
- 250 pound weight limit
- Poor construction
- Bad instructions for assembly and use
- Not great for very short people
- Ergonomic Design: Our exclusive ergonomic kneeling chair designed to promote correct postures and relief back and spine stress for daily work or study sitting experience.
- Vital Comfort Cushioning: Extra wide and thick padded seat and kneeling cushion with high-density and high-resilience molded foam base and topped with soft memory foam for an increased comfy. Top qualified foam and upholstery meet Flame-retardant medical standards. Durable water and oil proof, abrasion-resistant vinyl leather upholstery for longevity.
This chair has thick padding on the seats and knee cushions and is made of waterproof and oil proof vinyl leather upholstery.
It is easy to adjust using a hydraulic lever system and also has caster wheels. Adjusts from 23 to 27 inches and has a weight limit of 350 pounds.
- Durable with 350 pound weight limit
- Adjustable using hydraulics
- Thick padded seat
- Poor caster wheels
- Poor customer service
- May wobble slightly
Final Thoughts on Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs
Ergonomic kneeling chairs are a great way to promote good posture and reduce back pain. There are tons of different styles and types available at virtually any price point.
You are sure to find one that works for you. However, be sure to check that it will fit your body size and type and your desk in addition to your budget.
Last update on 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API