To reduce the negative effects associated with sitting too much, you may want to try a saddle shaped chair.
There are a lot of benefits to using one if you know how to use them and how to choose the best option for you.
This article will cover:
- The 5 best saddle chairs and stools in 2021
- How they work ergonomically
- What to look for when you are shopping for a good one
Let’s get started!
Best Saddle Chairs and Stools
What are Saddle Chairs and Stools?
A saddle chair or stool is one where the seat is shaped like the types of saddles you would find on a horse, but more comfortable.
These types of chairs can improve your posture and reduce pain in the back, neck, and hips. This is because they allow you to sit with the spine remaining in its natural curve.
In addition, many of these options also promote active sitting which means that your body will move subtly while sitting.
This can help you improve your health especially when you alternate between sitting at the saddle chair and standing. This can also help you improve your circulation and reduce swelling in the legs and feet.
Read More >> Is it Better to Work Standing or Sitting?
Also, check out this cool video about how to correctly use a saddle chair!
Types of Saddle Chairs and Stools
There are several different types of saddle chairs and stools that you should look into before deciding on one.
The best type of chair for you will be dependent on how much you sit, whether you have existing back or neck pain, and your budget. The types available are one piece, split, portable, mobile, and ergonomic.
One Piece Saddle Chair
The term one piece refers to the seat itself. This means that it is a single piece like a traditional chair, but it is saddle shaped.
They are still comfortable and have contours to fit the human body. Many options also have a slight tilt to promote active sitting.
Split Piece Saddle Chair
This type has space in the middle of two components on the seat.
This provides the user with a better pelvic and hip position because the weight on the hips and discs will be distributed properly.
In addition, it takes pressure off of the legs which can improve circulation.
Portable Saddle Chair
This type is smaller and easily carried and you can place it on the seat of any traditional office chair.
It provides a saddle seat and many options also turn so that you can remain comfortable and productive.
Ergonomic Saddle Chair
The other types are often ergonomic saddle chairs as well.
These are designed to work with the user's body and allow the user to adjust many of the different components.
You can adjust the height, the split (on split piece types), the tilt, and more.
How Do Saddle Chairs and Stools Work?
Saddle chairs work by dropping the knees down which opens up the angle of the hips and legs. This encourages good circulation and may help to reduce swelling.
Furthermore, they do not have an edge that pushes against the legs and sides of your buttocks and hips.
This can allow the veins and arteries to freely carry blood around the legs and to other parts of the body. The declining position of the legs moves the pelvis and hips forward.
This helps to provide the spine with its natural curve and can improve posture which can reduce neck and back pain. Sitting in a saddle chair also strengthens the spine.
This is because it encourages active sitting and utilizes the muscles in your core. Building these muscles can help to prevent injuries as well.
Sitting in a saddle chair will also help you improve your balance. The legs will be spread wider than in a traditional office chair which helps to stabilize and relax the body and provides a sense of balance.
What to Look for in the Best Saddles Chairs and Stools?
It is important to choose a high-quality saddle chair that fits your body, your needs, and your desires. There are some important things to keep in mind while you are shopping around for the best saddle chair and stool options.
First, you need to consider the contour of the seat. The more contour, the less likely it will fit a particular person, but the more supportive that the seat will be.
This is why it is important to check the shape and thickness of the contour. Many options have less contour which is more likely to fit any body shape.
The width of the chair is also important. You want to be able to sit comfortably while your knees are wide apart.
A wider seat will provide more stability and a low-width one will be more likely to encourage you to slump.
Read More >> Are Stools Better for Your Back?
You also want the saddle to be comfortable and the firmness has a lot to do with that. A saddle chair that is too soft may not offer the support that you need for ergonomic sitting and health benefits.
However, a seat that is too firm may be uncomfortable. You want the seat to be firm enough for support and even very firm ones are good if they fit your body type well.
The saddle tilt is another consideration that you need to think about. Many saddle chair options offer the ability to adjust the tilt of the seat. You will want to adjust the seat so that your legs and posture are comfortable and correct.
The leg position is another thing that you have to think about. There are different positions depending on the specific chair or stool.
You want one that is comfortable. Some allow you to keep the feet under the rest of your body while others will encourage you to keep your feet out in front of the chair and your body.
The leg position will support your posture and it is important that you get one that does that. This means that the height of the seat will be higher than it would be with a traditional office chair.
You do not want it to be too low because it will allow you to slump or sit with bad posture. If it is too high it can be uncomfortable and will not offer the necessary support.
Best Saddle Chairs and Stools
- Save Your Back From Painful- The ergonomic "saddle" shape seat design corrects your posture to be straight and upright thus reducing the stress of neck and back, provide extra comfort for long-hours sitting works
- Seat Height Adjustable-The stool chair height overall 20-29.5'', taller than most other saddle chairs
This high-quality chair does have a backrest and very good caster wheels that roll even on uneven surfaces or carpet.
The seat has deep contours and the height is adjustable from 20 to 29.5 inches. It has a 450 pound weight capacity and is made with aluminum and padded leather for the upholstery.
- Caster wheels
- 450 pound weight limit
- Adjusts higher than some other options
- Contour will not fit everyone
- Height adjustment is not easy
- Tilt is not adjustable
- Ergonomic：Saddle stool designed with ergonomic seat to encourage better posture & save your back and neck.
- Comfortable：Unique ergonomic, concave cushion design, naturally wraps around the lower back and hips to provide you with a more comfortable experience.
This affordable saddle chair has a simple design with a contoured cushion to provide comfort and stability.
It swivels 360 degrees and you can adjust the height of the seat anywhere from 22.4 to 30.3 inches.
The adjustment uses a smooth pneumatic system. It has a 350 pound weight capacity and caster wheels. It also comes in two different color options.
- Color option
- Smooth pneumatic adjustment
- Low-quality wheels
- Upholstery may discolor over time
- May roll too easily on hard surfaces
This is a fantastic chair that even comes in options depending on how tall you are (tall option and short option).
It has an adjustable resistance feature and pressure point relief contours. It is made with 100 percent recycled water bottles and comes with a 12 year warranty.
It is very comfortable and has a short backrest for additional lower back support.
- Short and Tall versions
- Ergonomic tilt
- Firm seat may be uncomfortable
- More expensive than many other options
- Wheels may not work on some surfaces
- 💖 SIT ERGONOMICALLY WITH ANY CHAIR. Portable design made of 3 parts (saddle, base and underlay to secure surfaces) allows you to transform your traditional chair in home or office into a saddle chair and enjoy a comfortable, healthy sitting for long or short durations with HUMANTOOL SADDLE CHAIR! Ergonomic Stool improves the ergonomics when sitting down, promotes better posture and proper alignment for the back!
- 💺 REVOLUTIONARY SWINGING MOTION UNLIKE ANY OTHERS. Our balance chair revolutionizes your sitting position. Humantool better posture saddle chair is simple yet innovative ball construction makes the motion of the seat possible to all the directions, so you will always have a right, vigorous and upright position! Compatible with home and office chairs, kitchen seats, classroom chairs or even floor!
This is a great portable option if you want a chair to work at home and at the office. It has a swinging ball construction to move the seat in every direction.
It is lightweight and made of durable materials. It also comes in two different color options.
- Seat movement
- Works with virtually any existing chair
- Uncomfortable compared to other options
- Low-quality materials
- Made be hard to rest without sliding
- Suitable for Beauty,Photo, Lab, Garage, Exam, Office and Home, Saddle stool with wheels, Dental saddle chair, Dental saddle chair ergonomic, Saddle chair dental hygienist, Saddle chair ergonomic, Salon saddle chair, Saddle chair hair stylist saddle stool rolling, Saddle stool hydraulic, Saddle chair dental hygienist
- Saddle Backless seat designed for extra comfort on your kness
This stylish chair comes with or without a back and in different color options. It has a sturdy, durable design with 5 caster wheels.
It can tilt to match your body in both directions.It is very comfortable and the adjustment works smoothly.
- Pneumatic adjustability
- Back and backless options (in two different colors)
- Tilt feature
- Not great for smaller people
- Poor upholstery
- Low quality wheels
Final Thoughts on Saddle Chairs and Stools
A saddle chair is a great option if you plan on sitting very much at all because it can improve your circulation and reduce back and neck pain.
There are tons of different types and styles to suit you and many of them have wheels or can adjust to fit your body type. There are also ones to fit any budget.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API