If you work in an office, live in an apartment with thin walls, or live with other people, then you probably do not want an elliptical machine that makes a ton of noise.
This article will include:
- The best quiet under desk ellipticals
- How they work
- What to look for in the best ones
First, let’s see the top 5!
Best Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals
What are Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals?
Under desk ellipticals are a great way to work out your body while you are working. They have pedals so that you can keep your legs in motion which can be beneficial for your health.
They can provide a cardio workout, burn more calories, and strengthen your leg muscles.
However, some models are louder than others. Ellipticals are generally more quiet than other workout machines like treadmills.
This is because there is no sound from the feet hitting the surface and instead only makes the sound of the elliptical motion mechanism.
The under desk ellipticals that are the most quiet have a smooth, well oiled mechanism.
This reduces the amount of friction so that the flywheel slides easily. In addition, they are less likely to begin to squeak during use.
Watch this video to learn how you can oil your under desk elliptical to stop it from squeaking!
Types of Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals
There are a few different types of ellipticals that you should be aware of so that you can find one that works for you and remains quiet.
Even though the types are just the typical types of under desk ellipticals, there are things about them that can reduce or increase the noise level when in use.
Traditional Under Desk Ellipticals
This is the standard type of elliptical that allows you to sit and move your legs in an oval shape while you work because they fit underneath your desk.
It will typically use a flywheel to provide the motion as your legs push the pedals. High-quality flywheels will be more likely to be quiet than low-quality, shoddily put together ones.
These under desk ellipticals can be used while standing or sitting. This can be even better for you.
However, it is also important to note that they are usually much louder when you use them while standing. This is because your weight is put completely on the machine.
Magnetic Resistance Ellipticals
A lot of under desk ellipticals have an adjustment for the amount of resistance. This can be a good way to increase or decrease the intensity at different times.
The first type is the most common and also the quieter of the two. This will use magnets that will get stronger or weaker in order to provide more or less resistance.
Air Resistance Ellipticals
Air resistance uses a rotating fan to blow air pressure into the flywheel mechanism.
This provides resistance, but the fan and the air leaving the flywheel will make more noise. If noise is a big factor for you, I would stick with magnetic resistance machines.
Adjustable ellipticals will allow you to adjust the range of motion so that it fits your natural movement.
This can be useful for a number of reasons including noise reduction.
If the movement fits your natural stride then the mechanism will move more smoothly. This can reduce excessive noise.
How Do Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals Work?
The quietest under desk ellipticals use a few different things to reduce the noise level.
They are also often very high-quality machines which can help with the smooth operation of the mechanism.
Ellipticals are generally much quieter than other workout machines because they are low impact and you will not have the jolt of the feet hitting the floor like you would have with a treadmill.
However, they can have the noise of the friction in the mechanism, the floor may vibrate underneath the device, and sometimes they can begin to squeak.
Quiet ellipticals are generally lighter than other models to reduce the amount of noise they make on the ground.
In addition, they often have shock absorbent rubber on the feet or bottom of the machine which significantly reduces the amount of noise made when it vibrates and shifts on the ground.
Read More >> Top 5 Best Under Desk Treadmills? (2021 Review)
Quiet ellipticals usually have higher quality ball bearing for the mechanism.
When low quality bearings wear out or become damaged the machine can begin to make cracking or crumbling sounds as the pedals revolve around the axis.
High quality machines are usually quieter because they will not have any parts that become loose which can lead to a variety of different sounds from clunking to creaking.
A loud buzzing or whirring may also develop in a shoddily manufactured elliptical machine.
What to Look for in the Best Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals
To be sure that you get a good under desk elliptical machine that does not make too much noise, there are some things you should take into account.
First, if you plan on getting a device that has a resistance knob, be sure to choose one that uses magnetic resistance since air resistance can be much louder.
You also want to make sure that the machine you buy works well for your gait and natural stride.
This can make the machine operate more smoothly and reduce noise. Furthermore, the exercise will be more comfortable and beneficial if it fits your body type.
Also, look for a machine that has shock absorbent rubber on the feet or bottom.
All parts that touch the ground should have a material on them to reduce the noise that it makes when in use. You can also put a mat down under the machine when you use it on hard floors.
The wheels that allow the pedals to move in the elliptical shape should have high quality material on them that does not cause too much friction.
The ball bearings should also be high quality. If you find that your machine begins to squeak, then you can easily reduce that noise by lubricating the mechanisms.
Best Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals
- BOOST YOUR FITNESS - our professionally designed under desk bike can help you burn calories, decrease stress, tone your legs and improve your mood - all while sitting! Just use the bike to pedal at your desk or while relaxing at home.
- BONUS FEATURES - we added many free add ons to our elliptical - enjoy the yoga mat and resistance band for your workouts. Use the castor stoppers to stop your chair from moving while pedaling or use the tether to secure the elliptical to your chair. It even has batteries included!
This is a high-quality elliptical that has an extremely quiet mechanism. It has 8 resistance levels and a monitor so that you can track your exercise statistics.
It even comes with a lifetime warranty. It also has a wide base that keeps it from rocking which can make noise.
- Lifetime warranty
- Wide base
- May slide on hard surfaces
- Not much difference in resistance levels
- DUAL MODE ELLIPTICAL: Combine the benefits of an mini elliptical and a stair stepper with this under desk exercise machine. Features adjustable resistance and an LCD monitor to track workout data. Designed for both standing and sitting workouts.
- LCD MONITOR: The digital monitor can track calories, RPM, stride, time, and distance during exercise. Accomplish exercise goals by tracking your training data.
This affordable option has adjustable resistance and a monitor that tracks calories, rotations, strides length, distance, and more.
They have a well-made pad to reduce noise and prevent slippage. They promise quiet operation and offer a 1 year warranty.
It also has different modes and you can use this machine in both sitting and standing positions.
- EVA padding
- Highest resistance may make more noise
- Bulkier than other options
- Difficult assembly compared to some
- UNDER DESK ELLIPTICAL- Get fit while you sit! Cubii JR1 pedal exerciser is the leading compact and ergonomic mini elliptical that lets you workout or rehab while you sit at home or the office
- WORK FROM HOME FITNESS - Now you can exercise while you work from home - right at your desk! Burn calories, lose weight, and feel great with Cubii elliptical machines for home use
This is a smooth workout machine that has a monitor to track your calories burned, strides, distance, and more.
It also has 8 resistance levels and a stylish, compact design. The large anti-slip pedals and sturdy base create less vibrations during use.
- Large pedals
- May squeak after heavy use
- Slides on hard floors
- [Two-in-one compact] This indoor leading ergonomic oval elliptical machine can be used directly without power supply. It can provide you with adequate exercise when you are at home and in the office.
- 【Focus on Your Health】The indoor elliptical machine uses a large-textured non-slip foot pedal for effective exercise. Low-attention exercise can promote leg movement, improve blood circulation, and distract attention. Rehabilitation is ideal for rehabilitation after surgery or injury.
This quiet device can be used with or without power and has large non-slip pedals that make it easy to use with your natural gait.
The monitor will track time, distance, scan, speed, and calories burned. It does not require any assembly and has adjustable resistance and a handle for carrying.
- No assembly
- Adjustable Resistance
- May squeak as the mechanism wears
- May slide on hard surfaces
- DIGITAL MONITOR: Track time, speed, calories, and distance using the centrally located digital monitor. Or chose the scan function to scroll through all variable while your workout.
- BELT DRIVE MAGNETIC RESISTANCE: This elliptical pair a belt drive mechanism with magnetic resistance to give you a low maintenance and smooth quiet exercise experience.
This is an affordable elliptical machine that tracks your time, calories burned, distance, and speed on the monitor.
It uses a quiet magnetic resistance mechanism so you can choose between 8 different intensity levels. It has a unique design and a handle for mobility.
- Quiet resistance
- Louder than others on hard floors
- May need greasing for squeaking
- Not a comfortable range of motion
Final Thoughts on Quiet Under Desk Ellipticals
There are a lot of options for ellipticals that do not make very much noise. These are great for use in an office or when you want to use the machine while watching television, reading, or just talking with a friend or family member.
There are quiet magnetic resistance mechanisms available as well so that you can increase the intensity of your workout without increasing the noise level. There are options for virtually any price range that are quiet, smooth, and durable.
You can also try to reduce the noise level by lubricating the mechanism or placing a mat underneath the machine during use.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API