Today we put together a list of the top 5 best compact standing desk converters.
A standing desk converter can be a great choice for making a healthier work area in the office.
However, some of them are quite large and may take up too much of the space on your desk. Good thing there are smaller options available.
This article includes:
- The top 5 best compact standing desk converters and their pros and cons
- The different types to keep in mind
- What you should look for to ensure you get a great product
Let’s do this!
Best Compact Standing Desk Converters
- Mount-It! Sit Stand Desk Converter(Our Top Pick)
- Nulaxy Ergonomic Laptop Stand for Desk (Best Budget)
- Victor DC400 1 Monitor Electric Sit Stand Desk Converter (Best High End)
What are Compact Standing Desk Converters?
A lot of people looking for a standing desk riser want one that only lifts up the necessary materials, but may find that there are a lot of large ones and very few small ones.
However, there should still be plenty to make a decision. There are also a few different types and you may find that they work just as well as the larger options, just with more compact mechanisms and other components.
One benefit of using a compact desk riser option is that you can keep one portion of your desk for sitting while also having a location designed for standing.
This makes it easy to boost your health by alternating between the two throughout the day.
Read More >> Best Cheap Standing Desk Converters (2021 Review)
Compact options also rest in their own footprint, which can save space on the rest of the desk for you additional materials.
You should also watch this great video on tips for organizing a compact work area
What are the Different Types of Compact Standing Desk Converters?
There are a few different types of compact standing desk converters to keep in mind to make sure that you get a good one that works for your office space.
There are non-adjustable, adjustable, laptop, narrow, and platform types to keep in mind.
This type rests on the desk with a fixed height. This can be a great option if you do not plan on sitting at all at the portion of the desk where the desk rests.
They are very affordable and often have cubbies, drawers, or other storage areas that can also save more room for you in your compact work area.
Read More >> Best Wooden Standing Desk Converters (2021 Review)
These options raise and lower to your specifications. This is great for those who will be sharing the desk or if you are going to want to go from sitting to standing at the same area of the desk.
They use different mechanisms to adjust. The manually adjusting options take more effort than other types.
There are also electric and pneumatic adjusting products to keep in mind, which are much easier to use and great for adjusting regularly throughout the work day.
This option only raises a desktop surface large enough for a laptop.
This is great for professions that do not have many offline materials or anything else besides the keyboard and computer screen of a laptop to work with.
They are also quite affordable and do not take up much room at all on top of the desk.
This type is only compact when it comes to the depth.
This is great for those who have the desktop surface area in length, but that have materials or a lack of space when it comes to depth.
It may even extend the keyboard tray over the edge of the desk, which can save even more depth space.
This type has a single raising and lowering platform.
This is not necessarily compact, but offers more space on the desktop so that it will not restrict your space as long as it fits on top of your existing desk.
They vary in sizes and most also go low enough so that you can sit and work ergonomically at the lowest setting.
Read More >> Best White Standing Desk Converters (2021 Review)
How Do Compact Standing Desk Converters Work?
Compact standing desk converters work like any other desk converters. That is, they sit on top of your desk and extend the height so that you can comfortably stand while completing your work.
The size of the desktop is smaller and the other components will usually fit tightly underneath so that it can rest in its own footprint. Many also have sliding keyboard trays to save space when lowered.
The adjustable options have different types of mechanisms that work in a smaller area. Some have an extension that slides down and up.
Others, particularly laptop compact risers, create a folding z-shape to ensure that it folds underneath the desktop.
What to Look for in the Best Compact Standing Desk Converters
When you are shopping for a compact desk riser, you will want to make sure that it will work for you.
Let’s look at some of the most important things to keep in mind as you compare and contrast the product options available.
First thing’s first, the size is obviously important if you are looking for compact desk converters.
You will want to ensure that it will not only fit in the space you have available, but also that it will hold what you need while you work.
Also, make sure that it will adequately prop up your monitor and keyboard.
The weight limit for compact desk risers is sometimes not as high as it is for larger standing desk converters.
This is because the materials for the frame and moving components and parts are not as large.
However, this can be an issue if you have heavy materials. Just make sure that it will not wear out quickly by getting one with an adequate weight capacity.
Cable management is another thing to keep in mind. If you like everyone else in the world, you hate pesky wires getting tangled and splayed around your work area.
With a compact desk riser, the wires may go around and tangle even more, especially if you are adjusting it often.
Make sure that it has cable management built in or that you have a plan moving forward with the purchase.
With compact options, you may find that the desktop is thinner, not only less wide and deep.
If this is the case, you will want to make sure that it will still be thick enough to work for you.
Also, compact options may extend the keyboard tray or out away from the footprint. This can be good for some people, but may not work if you do not have the excess space to use.
Best Compact Standing Desk Converters
- STANDING WORKSTATION – Move effortlessly from sitting to standing in seconds with the help of the gas spring mechanism. Height adjusts between 6.5 to 18 inches from the desktop.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Unique gel wrist pad provides a soft and comfortable place to rest your wrists which will prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and RSI
This height adjustable, pneumatic compact desk converter adjusts from 6.5 to 18 inches. It has a gel wrist pad for comfort and the desktop is a compact 16 x 23.5 inches.
It has a unique design that allows it to take up less space, while still providing ample room for your work materials and supplies with a 33 pound weight limit.
- Cable management grommet
- Pneumatic system with tension adjustment
- Solid, durable, and sturdy
- Only lowers to 6.5 inches
- Difficult assembly for a small converter
- Keyboard tray is pretty narrow
- Broad Compatibility: We create affordable laptop stand designed with creativity and quality to help you create a unique and comfortable workspace! It fits all laptop size from 10 to 17 inches, such as MacBook, MacBook Air, Macbook Pro, Microsoft Surface, Google Pixelbook, Dell XPS, HP, ASUS, Lenovo, Acer, Chromebook and more.
- Sit to Stand Laptop Holder Convertor: The Nulaxy laptop stand can raise your laptop screen height flexibly from 1.18" to 21", which ensures you a comfortable position no matter sitting down or standing up, bringing the laptop screen up to eye-level, improves your body posture and helps to relieve neck, back pain and eye strain. The computer stand is a must have home office supplies product and a useful office accessories for men and women.
This affordable laptop compact riser is small and easily portable with handles.
It adjusts manually from 1.18 to 21 inches to suit people of many heights in sitting and standing position.
The Nulaxy converter can fit a laptop from 10 to 17 inches and support up to 22 pounds. It also comes in both gray and silver colors.
- Adjusts from 1.18 to 21 inches
- Very compact and portable
- Very affordable and reasonably priced
- May wobble, especially at higher settings
- Manual adjustment
- Square edges may not be the most comfortable
- Transforms any sit-down desk into a stand-up desk
- Electronic and height-adjustable for easy positioning
This is not a common type of compact desk, but it may surely work. It has a platform for a keyboard and a monitor arm so that it lifts the monitor way off of the desk.
This makes it save a lot of space and the platform only takes up 28 x 23 inches.
It uses electric adjustment and can hold up to 39.5 pounds and a monitor of any size up to 25 pounds. They also have dual and triple monitor options available.
- Electric adjustment of monitor and platform separately
- Adjusts almost all the way down to the existing desktop surface
- Saves space using monitor arm
- More expensive than other options
- Very heavy and difficult assembly
- Platform can be somewhat bouncy
- DIMENSIONS - 30.3" W x 20" D x (4.7" to 16.9") H | Workstation top dimensions: 30.3" x 20" x 0.59" thick | Keyboard tray dimensions: 29.9" x 6.9" x 0.59" thick | Base dimensions: 26.1" W x 16.5" D | Weight: 31.5 lbs.
- Weight capacity: 33 lbs (evenly distributed). Item's weight: 31.5 lbs
This option has a two-tier design and is incredibly well-priced. It can hold up to 33 pounds and uses pneumatics to adjust from 4.7 to 16.9 inches high.
Specifically designed to save space by resting in its own footprint. The keyboard tray is removable and the converter comes with a 3 year warranty.
- Two tier design
- Very affordable
- Sturdy construction
- May wobble some
- Only lowers to 4.7 inches
- May not be great for very tall people
- TWO-TIER DESKTOP: Transform your existing home office desk or table into a height adjustable sit-stand desk. The two-tier rising desk converter has an upper deck for your computer monitor or laptop, and the lower tier offers space for your keyboard, mouse, and other work or gaming accessories. The adjustable monitor desk riser helps adjust your screen to eye level, so you can sit or stand comfortably throughout the day.
- DURABLE AND STABLE: Vari Essential Converters are built-to-last with a durable laminate finish to prevent scratches from everyday use. Designed for the home office, our height-adjustable standing desk riser includes a weighted base to ensure your desktop is stable and steady at any height, sitting or standing.
This two tier standing desk converter is made to take up less space than many of the competitors.
It also has a spring-assisted lift mechanism to allow it to adjust to 11 different height settings. It also comes with a 30 day risk free guarantee and a 3 year warranty.
- 11 different height settings
- Sturdy design
- Great customer service
- May wobble some
- Lacks cable management
- Very heavy (but comes assembled)
Final Thoughts on Compact Standing Desk Converters
There are a lot of compact standing desk converter options at virtually any price point. They also have different designs depending on the type of materials you use and the style you like.
You shouldn’t have trouble finding an option that you like and you certainly can't go wrong with the five options we mentioned.
Last update on 2022-12-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API